Car seat sold to customer with known defect - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2007, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cannot figure this one out. A friend of mine gave me her Peg Perego Primo Viaggio infant seat. She is more anal than even I am about child safety and she used the car seat maybe 10 times with both of her kids (she is one that just never leaves the house with a newborn). I know since the car seat has been in her possession it has been used correctly and not been in an accident.

So back to my confusion. My friend purchased this car seat from Peg Perego through an eBay sale in summer 2002. The car seat had been recalled in July 2001. My friend sent in the registration information to Peg Perego when she purchased the seat (remember she is very anal about such things). She NEVER received any information from Peg Perego about the recall! The other troubling thing is Peg Perego sold these car seats knowing there was a serious defect. The locking mechanism that holds the car seat to the base was defective meaning the car seat was not secure on the car.

So my question is how can a company knowingly sell a defective product to a consumer? There is also the fact that my friend never received the information that the car seat she purchased was recalled. I think I am more bothered that a company selling merchandise in the USA is able to sell a product it knows to be defective and very unsafe.

Is anyone else bothered by this? Does anyone know anything about how this could have happened? I know we have a Consumer Product Safety Commission so how can things like this be allowable?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 11:57 AM

http://www.kidsindanger.org/

Maybe there is info on that site. I don't know.

Maybe some third party was trying to offload it. I don't know.

Has your friend reported this to Ebay? To CPSC? She should.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 02-23-2007, 01:06 PM

Wow, looks like we can't trust the CPSC "anymore."

They KNEW about Lead in Children's lunch boxes but covered it up!

http://www.organicconsumers.org/arti...ticle_4200.cfm

http://tinyurl.com/2uzuny

Quote:
(AP) -- In 2005, when government scientists tested 60 soft, vinyl lunchboxes, they found that one in five contained amounts of lead that medical experts consider unsafe -- and several had more than 10 times hazardous levels.

But that's not what they told the public.

Instead, the Consumer Product Safety Commission released a statement that they found "no instances of hazardous levels." And they refused to release their actual test results, citing regulations that protect manufacturers from having their information released to the public.

That data was not made public until The Associated Press received a box of about 1,500 pages of lab reports, in-house e-mails and other records in response to a Freedom of Information Act request filed a year ago.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 PM

Reaching back to my college law class on big business.

I seem to recall a case by Ford who knowingly put the Gremlin(?) out on the market knowing that there was a defect that would most likely end in deaths. They figured the cost of paying out for those few death suit cases would be cheaper then recalling all the cars.

It all comes down to money.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstinctiveMama View Post

So back to my confusion. My friend purchased this car seat from Peg Perego through an eBay sale in summer 2002. The car seat had been recalled in July 2001. My friend sent in the registration information to Peg Perego when she purchased the seat (remember she is very anal about such things). She NEVER received any information from Peg Perego about the recall! The other troubling thing is Peg Perego sold these car seats knowing there was a serious defect. The locking mechanism that holds the car seat to the base was defective meaning the car seat was not secure on the car.
Are you certain that the company themselves were selling this on EBay? It doesn't make sense. It sounds like a third party reseller sold it on EBay and is negligent. As for the registration card being sent in and no one contacted her....unfortunately that happens. I always recommend to folks that they send their card in AND register it online. Some of the car seat manufacturers need to re-vamp or put better controls in place for tracking registration. At any rate, that car seat may be expiring soon if not already expired and it should be destroyed. I don't know the manufacture date but from your description on the timeline, I am guessing it was probably manufactured in 2001.

DC

User Tag List