blessingway/ceremony/baby shower for DAD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-05-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've both hosted and had lovely blessingways, and on the way home from a recent blessingway, my DH said he wanted to do something similar for the dads. Since he's working, I told him I'd look on the internet for some ideas and have found nothing. Anyone have ideas or sites I could visit? Anyone know of a dad who had any kind of intentional ceremony/ritual in preparation to becoming a father (or a father again...)?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First off, I beg you not to call any of these gatherings blessingways. Second, I think you and your DH have a great idea here. Becoming a father is huge and our society does very little to note the transition. I'm interested to see if you hear about someone else who's done one. If not, I bet you could come up with a great plan. Maybe ask each of the dads to write something abaout what the transition was like for them, talk about and bring the prospective dad the single item they found the most useful, either in labor support or in the first weeks of fatherhood.

I still remember my nephew calling me a few days after his son was born. He wanted to sk me something about breastfeeding, which I was glad to support him and his wife with... but then he said, "You know Aunt Kama, you're the only one who said anything to me about the love. And it's true... all the jokes about not sleeping are true, too... but what you said. I never felt love like this. Never knew what love was before. It's amazing!"

I wonder how many men never voice that to anyone?
#3 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What's wrong with calling it a blessingway?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

I have no doubt that DH and his friends will be able to create a wonderful ceremony if we don't find anything on such ceremonies elsewhere.

And why not call it a blessingway?
#5 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 02:10 AM

a blessingway is a sacred ceremony for indigineous women. someone correct me if i'm wrong here, ok? but anyways, it is cultural appropriation to have a blessingway if you are not.

i like "mother blessing" or, in this case "father blessing." which is a really cool idea, btw.
#6 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post
a blessingway is a sacred ceremony for indigineous women. someone correct me if i'm wrong here, ok? but anyways, it is cultural appropriation to have a blessingway if you are not.

i like "mother blessing" or, in this case "father blessing." which is a really cool idea, btw.
Nope that's the way it's been explained her before
#7 of 7 Old 03-06-2007, 03:43 AM

That's a great idea! It seems so obvious now that you've brought it up but I have never thought of it before so thank you for sharing! Very cool.

I second or third or fourth the 'blessingway' appropriation. It is the name used in English which denotes as closely as possible the very spiritual ceremony performed by the Navajo (Dine) peoples. If I remember correctly, they use this ceremony very frequently for purposes including, but not limited to, the passage to motherhood. I think they also use it for other major life changes as well and it has a very relevant, beautiful meaning for them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page