I need bra advice - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
But have little money. As can be seen from my picture thread, the bras I've currently got aren't doing anything for me. Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM

First go somewhere and get fitted, its free and it is definitely helpful. Alot of times it's not the bra but the fact that the person is wearing the wrong size. Turns out I was way off on my bra size and I am feeling much better now that I am in a bra that fits me right.
#3 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM

I agree -- go to Nordstrom, get fitted and find styles/brands that work for you, then go buy them cheaper somewhere else.

#4 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Banned

Definitely get fitted. I went for my first professional fitting last week and found out I was wearing the wrong size. I was in a 40H, which is where I should have been by measurements, but really need a 38J. The woman who fitted me was so helpful.

I went to an actual bra shop. I had no idea there were so many different types and styles of bras until I walked into that store!
#5 of 15 Old 03-07-2007, 11:08 PM

yes go get fitted! either a locally owned bra shop or nordstrom. I am intimidated by the locally owned place near me and like the anonymity of nordstrom so I don't feel awkward about not buying anything. If you go to nordstrom they'll bring you lots of bras to try on and you can write down the brands/styles you like while you're int he fitting room and buy online
#6 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

So Nordstrom is good? We just got a Macy's here.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to make it a special trip to Indianapolis. I bet Chicago would be a better bet for really experienced people, but that's a longer drive.

Thanks everyone.

I've been wearing 38D (old bras), and I just (like 6 months ago) bought a 40D bra. So frustrating!

I swear I'm going to figure out how to get support with strategically tied pieces of cloth.
#7 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 01:59 AM

get fitted than go to ross
#8 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Never settle. Keep trying them on till you find the one that works for you. It could be a $16 Playtex or a $60 Natori, just get the one that fits. It's better to have one or two you handwash than a whole pile that don't really work for ya.

Try on, try on, try on! It's miserable, but it works.
#9 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I personally like my Decent Exposures bras, but this may not be the look for everyone. My best friend doesn't care for this style. To each her own.
www.decentexposures.com

"What will you do once you know?"
#10 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get fitted, and/or read up on what consists of a good fit in a bra so you can try one on and know whether or not it fits.

Then (and I don't normally recommend this) go bra-shopping at Wal-mart. My mom raves about Wal-mart bras. She used to spend $$ on dept. stores, but has found that wal-mart actually carries bras that fit her properly. They dont' wear out any quickly because they fit, and even if they do, they're so cheap she can replace them easily.

Personally, I don't wear bras. I loathe them. I wear camisoles. I have between a B and a C cup.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, I've been reading some bra fitting blogs (yep, they exist, aren't the internets nifty?) and I think that the problem with the bra I was wearing in the picture where I look like I'm not wearing a bra is that it's old and the elastic has died. I think it might also be the one where the underwire has popped out of one cup.

I buy bras by going to the clearance rack and pulling off any that look good and are of a plausible size (e.g. not A,B, or C cups and larger than 36) and then try them on until one feels comfortable. Then I put a t-shirt on over top and see if I like the "lay of the land" as it were.

I just need to own more bras. Of course that one fell apart, I wore it basically every other day for at least a year.
#12 of 15 Old 03-08-2007, 02:35 AM

Bra fitting blogs??? Now I've heard everything.

In my experience, the stores don't carry 38G, my current (I think) decentexposures' size. I'm not up to putzing around with a string of "D"s after my rib measurement.

"What will you do once you know?"
#13 of 15 Old 05-01-2007, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

and months later I finally bought a couple Gilligan O'Malley bras from Target on Sunday.
#14 of 15 Old 05-01-2007, 06:36 PM

If you're seriously willing to go all the way to Chicago, I've got a lady in Lisle (west suburbs) who is my "bra lady". She's awesome and tailors them to fit if necessary. She turned regular minimizer underwires into nursing bras for me. I :LOVE my bra lady!
#15 of 15 Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalisa View Post
If you're seriously willing to go all the way to Chicago, I've got a lady in Lisle (west suburbs) who is my "bra lady". She's awesome and tailors them to fit if necessary. She turned regular minimizer underwires into nursing bras for me. I :LOVE my bra lady!
I'm so making note of that for when I get pregnant.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page