Rubbing noses to kiss- what do you call it? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We call them porcupine kisses.... a book we read started it.
#62 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerlerler View Post
doesn't everyone know the correct term is "mugga mugga"? three generations in my family call it that!
I thought it was "ugga mugga" ... at least that's what Daniel Striped Tiger on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood always says!
#63 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 PM

Why must some people defend their 'right' to use a term that even wikipedia acknowledges is *derogatory*? Is it really such an imposition to find a non-racially derogatory term for your nose kisses?

The mind boggles. :
#64 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 PM

We always called them Eskimo kisses () , but I think we'll change that to polar bear kisses. That is so cute!

But, how in the heck did rubbing noses together get labeled "Eskimo kiss" in the first place? I'm guessing the Inuit people weren't the first to do it (if, as a group, they ever did) Anyone know the origin?
#65 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaina View Post
i never thought it was offensive if it is than so is calling french kissing french kissing and french toast and french fries
How dare you!! Those are not French Fries but Belgian Fries!

just teasing but really, they are.

I find it very interesting that suddenly the Inuit and other natives are taking offence to the work Eskimo. I will certainly have to ask my DD's friends since a lot of them are Native Alaskans.
#66 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I find it very interesting that suddenly the Inuit and other natives are taking offence to the work Eskimo. I will certainly have to ask my DD's friends since a lot of them are Native Alaskans.
Yeah coz it's real sudden, just out of the blue like. It's as tho they had a meeting or something.
#67 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
Yeah coz it's real sudden, just out of the blue like. It's as tho they had a meeting or something.

Actually most Alaskan Yupik, or any Yupik for that matter probably identify more with the term Eskimo than they do with Inuit.
I think its more offensive here in Canada to call an Inuit an Eskimo.

It is funny that you mention meeting though! In 1977 the Inuit Circumpolar Conference was formed.

anyway, we never actually called nose kissing anything, but maybe we'll start calling it nose kisses. I like that.
#68 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 PM

noses or eskimo kisses. I like to just say "gimmee noses"
#69 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I actually hadn't given any thought to the term Eskimo and whether it was in use anymore. I hear Inuit used, and I've used it at least in my thoughts if not out loud, but I don't think I knew that Eskimo was a racial slur or pejorative. : I'm out of the loop on this one. Part of it is because I just never talk about the Inuit or have a reason to use the term Eskimo other than referring to a brand name. And I'm not knowledgeable about the other groups of northern/polar/arctic area peoples. I remember learning about the Athabascans when I visited Alaska, but I hadn't heard of the Yupik until this thread.

Although thinking about it, the "Eskimos live in igloos" is one of those stereotypes that kids still have and I have always thought of it more as an oversimplification that needs further explanation, so this should be a jumping off point for me now.

I don't have a term for rubbing noses.

Anyway, thanks for calling our attention to this matter.
#70 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:48 PM

Suddenly? I remember being told that "Eskimo" was a rude term for the native peoples of the Alaskan area when I was like 5. In fact, I'm pretty sure the context was being told not to call rubbing noses "Eskimo kisses".
#71 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinese Pistache View Post
But, how in the heck did rubbing noses together get labeled "Eskimo kiss" in the first place? I'm guessing the Inuit people weren't the first to do it (if, as a group, they ever did) Anyone know the origin?
I remember asking my mom this ("why are they called Eskimo kisses?") and she said because if they kissed with their lips, they'd freeze and be stuck together.
#72 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Razzberri View Post
It actually makes me mad when such a big deal is made out of something so innocent. It's clearly not meant as an insult. Isn't "Eskimo" a term for the natives of a cold land? How is that insulting!?
Didja miss the part about it meaning "raw meat eater"? It's not their term for themselves, it's an insult. It'd be like calling a kiss on the forehead a "jerk kiss". You know, after the people who invaded your home decided to call you all "jerks" and referred to "jerk culture" and how "jerk food is really weird". Then they decide to call one of your forms of affection a "jerk kiss".

Nice, huh?
#73 of 134 Old 03-08-2007, 11:56 PM

Oh Good Lord. I am Eskimo, from Alaska, and I've never been offended by the term or heard of anyone else that does. I call it Eskimo kisses. Always have, always will.

This on the other hand is quite vile, your moms response to your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaMountainMomma View Post
...and she said because if they kissed with their lips, they'd freeze and be stuck together.
:
#74 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 12:06 AM

Grew up calling them "Eskimo kisses" and not realizing it was derogatory then. When I had my girls, I realized I needed to come up with something else to call it, though...and lo and behold, I saw Daniel Striped Tiger do "ugga mugga"! So now, we ugga mugga, and I love it!
#75 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 AM

The Inuit find it an insult because they are Inuit, Not Eskimo.
There are Inuit(among others) - Called Inuit. and The Yupik (among others) are called Eskimo.

There is nothing offensive in being called a "raw meat eater", considering their traditional diet is raw meat (and cooked).
Eskimo comes from the Native American languages, and it wasn't used as a slur. It was used to describe the people that lived up North - who ate raw meat.
ETA - In fact researchers aren't even sure if the origins of the word Eskimo actually means raw meat eater, there have been theories of other meanings, like snow show netter.
#76 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I grew up calling them Eskimo kisses, but it is offensive so we call them nose or snow kisses.

What we call butterfly kisses are when we flutter our eyelashes on the other person's cheeks.
Same with us - nose kisses with the nose and butterfly kisses with our eyelashes

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#77 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 AM

We called them Eskimo kisses and nosies growing up. I call them nosies with DD. DH calls them nuzzles.
#78 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 12:52 AM

My parents always called them Eskimo kisses when I was growing up. I also sat Indian style growing up. However with my kids we call them wiggy noses, I got that term from my brother(father of 6). My kids also sit cris cross applesauce, which I think is very cute. We also do butterfly kisses with the eylashes, the kids always giggle!

grouphug.gif mom to five on earth (11 ,9, 7 and 5) and one on the way October 19, 2012 joy.gif

One in heaven angel.gif July 2006

#79 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSweetP View Post
They were eskimo kisses when I was growing up.

My DDs and I call them Butterfly Kisses

We have Butterfly Kisses too but ours are like this -- my little one winks her eye on my cheek and her little lashes make the Butterfly Kiss. As for OP: rubbing noses are Eskimo kisses for us too.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#80 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 02:35 AM

Interesting discussion. I think I've always said Eskimo kiss.

I had Inupiat (Eskimo) friends when I was a kid and I remember one called it "old way" kissing. I'd forgotten about that.
#81 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 02:38 AM

I always called them Eskimo kisses, but DH started calling them nosey-noses, and that's just so cute, it's stuck.
#82 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 AM

We call them "noses", we just say, "gimmie noses" :
#83 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 AM

We always say "wiggle noses."
#84 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 03:00 AM

I had no idea that eskimo was derogatory! I just assumed it was a name of people that lived in a certain area. That makes me feel sick that I have perpetuated it for this long.

I wonder what otehr racial slurs i'm using and don't know about.

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
#85 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Oh Good Lord. I am Eskimo, from Alaska, and I've never been offended by the term or heard of anyone else that does. I call it Eskimo kisses. Always have, always will.
Maybe your the one to ask, cause I am really confused. I thought that there were
many people that call themselves Eskimo (like in parts of Alaska), and that Eskimo
kisses came from a traditional greeting. I could be ignorant, but never have I heard
that Eskimo kisses was offensive until today.

I knew that the Inuit had disconnected from the term, but I have read that many still
do call themselves Eskimo. But that not all people that were once called Eskimos are
Inuit (some are also Yupik, and other groups) so then we can't just adopt the term Inuit
for all native northerners because that would be incorrect, right or am I wrong. I'm so
confused.
Wouldn't the term Inuit for a group as a whole be just as offensive as the term Eskimo
since neither describe the group as a whole, but separate groups?

So if there are still people that identify with the term Eskimo, and the term Eskimo Kisses
means no ill will but two people greeting each other with the kissing of noses, then how
can it also mean a racial slur?

I'm really not trying to be difficult. I'm actually confused.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#86 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 03:27 AM

We call them nosey-noses.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

#87 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 AM

Growing up my mother called them Eskimo kisses, but with my kids we call them "nosey kisses", and we do them every day,lol.

Interesting, I'm currently writing my final paper for my Anthropology class on the Inuit. In Alaska, many of them still go by Eskimo. I haven't read anything so far about it being derogatory. Not saying it's not to some, just saying, I'm doing research like a crazy woman at the moment on the Inuit....(paper's due Monday,lol).

Oh, and on the igloos, actually only a very small percentage of them live/d in igloos, from what I've read so far, it was most common in areas with little access to driftwood/wood. Most of them lived in sod/wood homes. Then again, I have a lot more to read this weekend,lol.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#88 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Why must some people defend their 'right' to use a term that even wikipedia acknowledges is *derogatory*? Is it really such an imposition to find a non-racially derogatory term for your nose kisses?
The fact is not all Natives in alaska even find it offensive.

Quote:
There are Inuit(among others) - Called Inuit. and The Yupik (among others) are called Eskimo.
I have a real life friend that moved here from Alaska. She's full blooded Eskimo. She CALLS herself Eskimo and calls them Eskimo kisses. She thinks it's really cute when Freja does them.

Anyway. The fact is ANYTHING can be turned into a slur or a 'derogative' term. I do believe people go overboard with PC'ness. I'll tell ya what next person that goes 'Hun you are the whitest white girl ever' I'll just jump them and start a huge petition cause it's sooo offensive to be labeled white

Btw I am PASTY arse pale and AM the whitest white girl a lot of people have seen
#89 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 03:59 AM

Interesting...

I always called them Eskimo kisses growing up. Butterfly kisses are with eyelashes, as many PPs have said. I said "sitting Indian style" and occasionally slip and say that currently, but I'm trying to expunge that one from my vocabulary; I call it sitting Tailor style now.

It rang a bell to me that many Canadian natives preferred the term Inuit, and didn't like "Eskimo", but I was under the impression that was because they were distinct from the Alaskan natives who used that term. I was feeling guilty for my apparant misunderstanding through the first half of that thread, until the post by the PP who said she is an Alaskan native who calls herself Eskimo. So, it appears that people object to "Eskimo" because it lumps together culturally different groups based all on one trait (that is, the fact that they're far-northerly Natives). That is understandable - they have not chosen to lump themselves all together, nor to all assume that one term, they choose to maintain their cultural distinctions and ask that we respect that. Fine, I would not use the word "Eskimo" to describe an Inuit, out of respect for those feelings.

One might attempt to argue that other culturally distinct groups do classify themselves under broader headings: the Spanish and the Germans are pretty different culturally, but they're all European. Same with Morrocans and South Africans, yet they're all African. BUT... those broader classifications are descriptive of all people in the group, and they are not robbed from one group and applied to all the others. We don't call Germans "Spaniards" because both Germany and Spain are European. On the other hand, we don't consider it offensive to call Spaniards, well, Spaniards just because the Germans don't wish to be called Spaniards.

As we've determined that those who live in the cultures originally called "Eskimo" are not offended by the term, and in fact use it themselves to describe their society, would we not in fact insult them by telling them that we've chosen to call them something different?

I'm still not sure about the term "Eskimo Kisses", though, for another reason: I'm not sure the term is meaningful, or what it means to those people exactly. Is it true that they traditionally greeted one another in that way? If so, then the term is meaningful and not insulting. But if not, then that rumor sounds like it evolved to make the Eskimos seem simple and foolish; in that case, using the term would be insulting. Furthermore, if it is true that they greeted each other in that way, did it have deeper cultural meaning than a simple "hello"? If so, referring to such nose rubs as "Eskimo kisses" could be diminutizing that tradition.

Oops, baby awake. Can't think this out anymore.
#90 of 134 Old 03-09-2007, 09:41 AM

Wow, I always called them Eskimo kisses too and never knew it could be taken as deragatory to some. Now that I know I'll be going with "bunny kisses" for now on. That's cute and I don't think the bunnies that are native to New England would mind, they are pretty easy going about the whole bunny label

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page