How to get a tattoo - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seriously.

I'm a good girl. I've never pierced anything but my ears, and I have no tattoos. But, lately, I want one! A specific one, that is kind of in my head but not entirely. I've googled images, and can't find any. I'm going to be very particular and want it exactly as I want it, so no just going to someone and telling them "tattoo this!" or "just give me something girly!"

My free time is limited, plus I'm a little nervous to go into a tattoo shop and just browse. Is that what people usually do? Do they bring a sketch and have them copy it? If so, how do I know the level of detail that can be accomplished (I don't want a big one.) I'd rather go in prepared.

Advice is welcome. Sketches are welcome -- I am looking for a small (2-3 inches) volcano, possibly with a crescent moon with it, no exploding lava or anything. Any great artists can PM me if you need more details.

Shannon

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#2 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM

I only have 1 tattoo, I got it when I was 18.

I visited a lot of parlors until I found one that was just right. I looked through a binder of my tattoo artist's work and sat down with him to figure out a design that was just right for me. I wanted a flower and I was having something covered. We talked about what I wanted in a flower and went through a huge binder of flower sketches. He made some suggestions. I chose a flower design and then we went through and decided on what kind of leaves I wanted around the flower and how many. Once we had the flower and the leaves laid out the way I wanted, he used a copy machine to shrink the design until it was the exact size that I wanted it to be, which took a few tries. We talked about what kind of colors I liked and what he thought would look good and I decided on purple and blue but gave him the freedom to decide on how to actually color and shade the flower.

It turned out great and I liked being involved in the process from start to finish instead of just picking a picture off the wall.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#3 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

I've gone in and described what I wanted to the artist and had her draw it up for me. I used to go through the flash but I'm past that now and like to have more original art.

Is this thread making any other tatoo addicts want to go out and get some more ink?
#4 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=2Sweeties1Angel;7534742]I've gone in and described what I wanted to the artist and had her draw it up for me. I used to go through the flash but I'm past that now and like to have more original art.

Is this thread making any other tatoo addicts want to go out and get some more ink?[/QUOTE]

My tattooist is coming to stay w/ us (he is one of my dearest friends) thurs-mon....for the convention...if he has some free time....: maybe we can color my koi....nak btw

True Love is here....to stay!
#5 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

If you go in, how does it work? Do I put in a downpayment? What if I don't like what he/she eventually draws or change my mind?

This is all quite new ground for me.

Shannon, mama to Jack :
: : : : : :
#6 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sntm View Post
If you go in, how does it work? Do I put in a downpayment? What if I don't like what he/she eventually draws or change my mind?

This is all quite new ground for me.
If it's a busy artist (busy=good...usually) than putting down a deposit is a good idea, it shows you are serious. $50 is usually sufficent for something small. Some require an art deposit which is non-refundable if you blow it off, if they have done your drawing, they have put time into it and that is worth money...kwim? Also, get them to give you a price, either hourly or by the piece (all my work is hourly cuz it's huge...though I did pay piecework for the first couple I got)...and don't forget to tip!!! It's a service industry!!!
Make sure you look through their books BEFORE putting any money down, if you like their 'style' than they should be able to draw what you like. A good artist can draw pretty much anything and in many styles. If you don't like a drawing, they should tweek it for you at no cost (unless of course you make them do it half a dozen times)...

If you have any other questions, I will help you as much as I can...: I think I am pretty qualified....
ps...Cost can be an indicator of quality...don't try to get a bargin tattoo...remember you have it FOREVER!!!! xo

True Love is here....to stay!
#7 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You can go in with a sketch or phot, anything really to give the tattoo artist a good idea of what you would like. So, the closer to what you want, the better. They will more then liely make a sketch and get it on your body for positioning (kinda like a temporary tattoo) - they should be able to tell you about how much it will be when you go in with your sketch. Color is more $$then just black/ gray.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: This is all knowledge from me being with my dh getting tattoos on several occasions, dont have nay myself (yet) :

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#8 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 03:19 PM

My first one I drew myself, got it in France at 16. The second, I got with DH. I just picked something (Native American rabbit in black outline). I wouldn't choose it again. Then I got 5 white stars on the back of my neck for my 5 year wedding anniversary. They were supposed to be floating and random but the Ahole did them in a straight line.

I do plan to get a nursing mom somewhere and I want to have a true artist draw something original and wonderful and pretty.
#9 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 03:21 PM

the artist you decide on will do the drawing for you as part of the cost of the tattoo. this is a better idea than bringing in a sketch done by someone else because your artist can make it look good with the particular placement on your body and in his or her own style. usually artists will ask for a small deposit to start working on your sketch, then apply that to the total cost of your tattoo.
#10 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I knew I wanted a moon, but not what kind. I went to three different shops and looked at all their samples before I found the perfect one. It is a small black and blue crescent, about 3/4 of an inch tall. It's been 4 years since I got it and I've never gotten around to getting it touched up, so it's kind of patchy. I think I'll do something about that this weekend.

I know I want another tat, but I don't know what or where yet. I saw a picture of a girl with a triple moon in shades of orange on the back of her neck. Of course, I can't get it while I'm in the military and my mom would FLIP so I'll probably never get it. Stupid as it sounds, I'm also not too thrilled with having two tattoos of moons - I want something different.

A friend of mine got a pentacle tatooed between her shoulder blades...easy to hide from Mom...hmm...

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#11 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM

I'd been thinking of a design for several years now, and went in and talked to the artist. I told him all of the elements I wanted to have included and he went to it. A couple of days later, I went to check the art out and discovered that he had, somehow, found a way inside my brain and drew exactly what I had imagined but was unable to describe.

It turned out to be very expensive, but it is so, so worth it! ($800) It's a 1/2 sleeve in full color.

I can't wait to go on Saturday to get the color finished!
#12 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 04:13 PM

i would shop around, get a feel for different shops. if you dont feel comfortable there, dont get tattooed there. ask about sterilization techniques. ask to see a portfolio of their work. you can find good tattoo artists, but but finding one who is good at the style you want is a different story.

as for what you want, you can go in with a very rough sketch of what you want and your artist can perfect it with you. go to various places for this too. my particular artist is so intuned to me, that i can bring him things and he can pull the thoughts out of my head without me vocalizing them. if you dont like what they draw, tell them! they wont be upset, they know it has to be perfect, its PERMANENT. talk to the artist, tell them what you dont like. you dont have to be able to draw to get what you love.

welcome to the starts of your new addiction!
#13 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 04:30 PM

I found my tattoo artist after extensive searching online. He has an incredible portfolio (Anil Gupta) and only does sittings by appointment (including the initial consultation). I left a pretty significant deposit (the tat was pretty pricey).

In my case, I had the exact image I wanted so I brought the book with me, along with a scanned image on disc so he could muck about with it as needed. He combined the two elements I wanted and I approved the final sketch.

I agree with the other posters: look up the local shops, visit and review the portfolios of the artists. If you see one in particular that you like, talk to the artist and see how you feel about him/her.

I was really glad that I like Anil because there were some circumstances the night I had my sitting that had me ending the evening in tears (nothing related to the tattoo) and I was really happy he was really kind about me being such a whacko.

In otherwords, your comfort level with the artist is as important as his/her artistic ability.
#14 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM

If possible, I'd also ask for word-of-mouth referrals, too--friends, neighbors, etc If you see anyone with a tattoo you admire, and you think there's a possibility they got it in town, ask them who did it. People love to talk about their ink

When I got my nose pierced a few years ago, I asked everyone I met "Who did yours? Did you like them/recommend them? Would you go back? What would you do differently. It wasn't something I wanted to screw up, if YKWIM

Permanent body stuff is not something anyone should do with just anyone IME, working with someone talented and reputable is really important. They are artists, and you should feel comfortable working with them and sharing your ideas, opinions, etc.

Good luck!!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#15 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can I ask a question of the tatoo-fans? I am not being snarky, just honestly curious.

Why would you say no to vaccines but yes to a tatoo? Both involve in putting foreign and, possibly toxic, substances into your body (under the skin is still in the body ). Once it's in, it's in forever.

Where is the "naturalness" of a tatoo? It certainly isn't organic. Our bodies are pretty wonderfully designed already, why add inks that will, eventually, fade and blur with age?

Why not just use temp tatoos and change your design as your personality and moods and whims change? Why the permanence?

You can see, as far as personal adornment goes, I am not of the tatoos-are-my-cup-of-tea side of things !
#16 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 04:45 PM

I got a tattoo about 2 wks before I conceived. Now I just use kids face paints for temp tattoos.

Just kidding. I would like another tattoo but need to research about what is actually in the ink, etc. If I find out that it's toxic, I'll just use pure henna for temp tattoos.
#17 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 06:00 PM

I just got a new tattoo a couple of weeks ago. I searched the net for some image close to what I wanted. I ended up finding a watercolour painting of what I wanted(not a tattoo pic).
http://www.orientaloutpost.com/prodd...?prod=0oy-kfpb

I then found a local shop online and reviewed their online portfolios.
http://www.123forever.com/contact123.htm

Then printed out the pic and went in to meet the artists. I liked all of their work so I asked who would be best suited and who would want to do the work I wanted in the style I wanted. Sometimes artists enjoy doing some styles over others, and I think they tend to do their preferred styles a bit better. He and I then discussed exactly what I wanted.

I then set up a date to get it done. I showed up and he had a sketch, we refined it a bit and voila! It got done.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nt=tattoo2.jpg

Good luck with yours! It was a very positive experience for me.

Take care,
Tara

Tara Momma to Callum and Gavin
#18 of 21 Old 03-12-2007, 06:10 PM

Definitely see previous work. I saw a pooh bear on someone the other day that was lovely and she told me where she'd gotten it done. I'd consider going there if I ever "firmly" decided to get one.
#19 of 21 Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=touka;7535728]I found my tattoo artist after extensive searching online. He has an incredible portfolio (Anil Gupta) and only does sittings by appointment (including the initial consultation). I left a pretty significant deposit (the tat was pretty pricey).

I was really glad that I like Anil because there were some circumstances the night I had my sitting that had me ending the evening in tears (nothing related to the tattoo) and I was really happy he was really kind about me being such a whacko.
QUOTE]

Anil did my first tattoo! He is totally awesome! (I didn't know who he was at the time, and the whole thing was very clandestine since it was illegal in NYC at the time.) Now I'm so proud that I have his work on me, even if it is a simple piece of blackwork.
#20 of 21 Old 03-14-2007, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamsmom98 View Post
Can I ask a question of the tatoo-fans? I am not being snarky, just honestly curious.

Why would you say no to vaccines but yes to a tatoo? Both involve in putting foreign and, possibly toxic, substances into your body (under the skin is still in the body ). Once it's in, it's in forever.

Where is the "naturalness" of a tatoo? It certainly isn't organic. Our bodies are pretty wonderfully designed already, why add inks that will, eventually, fade and blur with age?

Why not just use temp tatoos and change your design as your personality and moods and whims change? Why the permanence?

You can see, as far as personal adornment goes, I am not of the tatoos-are-my-cup-of-tea side of things !
I know from my own experiences that the inks that were used are mineral based and non-toxic. Ironically, there is more extensive research done on the inks (with no company sponsorship) than on vax's (which are all funded by big pharma).

Also, if taken proper care of, the inks do not fade and blur.

As far as the permanence, I can only speak for myself. The images I have on my skin reflect huge personal issues for me. They represent things I have experienced and people that have been/are important to me. For instance:

lotus blossom-representing the wisdom I have gained by becoming a mother
cherry blossoms (both with petals blowing away)-representing the frailty of life and, specifically, the babes I have lost
cherries--representing life coming to fruition, one for each of my 3 children
sparrow--memorial for my dad, who loved birds and whose favorite song to sing was the spiritual "His eye is on the sparrow"
bat--represents my DH, gothiness, & the everlasting battle we fight with the bats in our belfry
several 5pointed stars--we are a family of 5 and none of us would be who we are today without the other 4 people in our family. And each of us is a star in our own way, lighting up the world in our own little ways.

Granted, I know that not everyone puts as much thought into their designs, but for me it tells the everchanging story of my life.
#21 of 21 Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM

Vamp127 Very cool!! I found a bunch of good tattoo sites for NYC, but the crying buddah on Anil's site is what made the decision to use him final. He did an incredible job with my tat, which is pretty intricate:

Flower reference
Critter reference

Final in color

The descriptions of your tattoos sound beautiful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page