Any one else had to deal with this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went to check my mail... and well My box was invaded with WASP! When we first moved in we found a old wasp hive in the box but it was like someone put it there.. we just thought it was some kids goofing around. Well today my mail is covered in them!
I tapped on the side of the box and they flew out and away but if they think it is a good place to live how do I change their minds?
I don't mind wasp, bees, or any other flying critter that stings as long as they stay out of places we put hour hands.
Or is this just a good reason to go ahead and buy a new box?
#2 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 03:00 PM

Hee hee - I'm sleep-deprived and I was thinking "I didn't know that any WASPs were organized enough to do a mailout campaign" - you know, White Anglo-Saxon Protestants... never mind. It was funny for a millisecond, to me...

I would get a new mailbox. Or use some noxious chemicals on your little visitors. Wasps are nasty and pernicious beasties. If you let them take up residence you run the risk of your mail carrier getting stung, and that could be a lawsuit or something. (Worst-case scenario there - more likely, they'd just stop delivering your mail because your mailbox constituted a hazard.) Also, it would suck if your mail carrier was allergic to stings and ended up having an anaphylactic reaction at the end of your driveway.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 04:03 PM

http://www.thefriendlytrapper.com/ He's a local celebrity I would get a new box. If you keep the old one, their scent or something could remain and keep them returning year after year. I am horribly afraid of stinging/biting insects, I would have had a bird if I found wasps in my mailbox!!!
#4 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 04:10 PM

Definitely third the recommendation for a new box. We've never had wasps but we did manage to find a dead black widow spider in ours shortly after we moved here... Eeeek!
#5 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM

Wasps are very territorial. (so the scent would actually work to your benefit.
I killed a nest on my rose bush last summer all by myself (a proud, strong mama moment)

I refuse to use chemicals for any reason--soooo, I waited until dusk when they would all be in their nest.
I lit one rolled up and twisted a piece of paper, then blew it out and stuck it in the hole to confuse the. They started buzzing but non came out.
Then I lit a second twisted paper on fire and stuck it up the hole and fried the little ba$tards. worked like a charm! And they haven't been back.

I was proud of myself.
DH and I had been stung that morning.
I have a total phobia/fear of them.
DH left for France that afternoon and was gone 2 weeks. I knew I couldn't let it grow that much bigger and risk DD bumping into it.
Mama took action.And ran into the house twice and shook the rest of the time.

After you rid your box of them, in addition to their lingering scent, you can also blow up a paper bag and tie it to the box. They'll think it's a hive and stay away.
#6 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My first thought was "you checked your email box and there were Wasps in there"- is this some new computer virus? Then I realized you were talking about an actual mail box with envelopes inside!

I'd take today's mail out with tongs or thick gloves, and buy a new mailbox.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 06:56 PM

My dp delivers rural mail and it is an all too frequent hazaed in the summer!
#8 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljen View Post
Definitely third the recommendation for a new box. We've never had wasps but we did manage to find a dead black widow spider in ours shortly after we moved here... Eeeek!
See this is when I would freak out. The neighbors would have a free show to watch if I found any kind of spider in my box. (I won't plant flowers around the box for this reason).
This thought has now gave me the chills that won't go away. ... Thanks
#9 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 07:10 PM

EW! we had that problem in our last apartment. we found a little wasps nest in the mailbox, and i had heard that they don't come back to old nests, so i wasn't worried. but then they built a NEW ONE right next to it. i kept on bugging my landlord about it, but they took forever to deal with it. so i bought some poison spray and waiting until it was dark, and sprayed the little &$*%ers. they were everywhere though, including in the walls of the building. they would make their way into the house through some water damage and sting us. we finally figured out that squishing them makes more come in, so we started sucking them up in the vaccume cleaner. ugh. gross.
#10 of 10 Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Spray the inside of the mailbox with some vinegar mixed with a little tea tree or camphor oil.

When this dries, spray it a second time with just the vinegar.

When this dries, spray the top of the interior with some silicone lubricant (like you use on squeaky hinges and garage door tracks.

The first two things will eliminate their scent. The last will make it difficult for them to attach their nest (it acts like Teflon!).

You might want to do all this on the underside of the mailbox, as well.

A mixture of ammonia and water (strong on the ammonia) will kill wasps instantly.

By the way, black widow spiders can't attach their webs to silicone-sprayed surfaces either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page