bikinis on young girls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2007, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As summer approaches, I am once again looking for a good bathing suit for my dd. Every year, it seems like the choices that I seem to be "good" are dwindling, and adorable one pieces and tankinis are being shoved out by triangle top/ruffle bum suits.

I think they're adorable...but I don't think they're appropriate for my dd.

I am sure people must be buying them, because every year I see more and more.

I was just wondering what everyone else thinks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2007, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ooooh, girlfriend, jugular veins have been slashed on MDC over this question.

:
Old 03-21-2007, 08:46 PM

Persnally I don't like my girls wearing bikinis, I like little girls to look like little girls and not like teenagers. They have plently of time to wear them when they get older if they choose.
Old Navy has some darling tankini's this year!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
ooooh, girlfriend, jugular veins have been slashed on MDC over this question.

:
awww man! I must have missed all the fun
Old 03-21-2007, 08:53 PM

No one will be suprised to hear this but they don't really bother me.

My Dd (13 now) has had several over the years. Mostly cute ones with flowers or polka dots, ruffles, and etc. I've seen bikini's that I don't think would look flattering on Dd, and I wouldn't be shy about telling her so. We talk about clothes often.

Dd likes this bikini and some tankinis that we've seen as well.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 03-21-2007, 08:55 PM

Doesn't bug me. But there is a difference to me in the type of bikini worn. Would I let my child wear a string bikini (yes I've seen them on toddler) HECK NO! BUT my DD1 has a yellow polka dot bikini which she loves and I think is adorable
Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 PM

I think adult styled clothes for little girls are disgusting. Having said that...
when I was 7, all I wanted for my birthday was a bikini. Bathing suits are skimpy items in general, so I would be willing to compromise with your DCs regarding what they like, too. But no, I wouldn't let my kid wear a thong or anything.

And yes, the Old Navy tankinis are cute, cute, cute.

Trying to turn hearts and minds toward universal healthcare, one post at a time.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I think they're kind o' cute, myself. The ruffle-butt look is always deadly cute.

Though I so don't understand the point of the triangles-- what are they FOR, anyway? It's kind of like seeing pockets on newborn clothes.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
My 2 girls mainly wear bikinis/tankinis simply for the fact that thet fit them better because they are tall and thin. One piece suits just don't fit them right and they wear through them in no time.

Honestly I see nothing wrong with a female of any age wearing a 2 piece bathing suit - if a male can wear a speedo, regardless of their age, and it is okay then what could possibly be wrong with a girl in a two-piece bathing suit. JMHO.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't have a problem with anybody wearing a bikini- infant, "hot babe", wrinkly grandma, or anybody in between. I don't have a problem if the person in a bikini is male or female (or anything in between). Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing!

However, I want my own kids in SPF protection swimwear for both modesty and sun protection. I make my son wear a rash guard and board shorts. Redheads burn easily! I prefer my girls wear a skirted bottom or shorts, with a "rash guard" top- last summer I purchased a bikini for my oldest to wear as "bra and panties" underneath. My middle child prefers to just wear a one-piece bathing suit, though I'd be happier if she wore something with a little more coverage. I woudln't stop her from wearing a bikini if she really wanted to, but I prefer that she didnt'. Why use more potentially toxic sunscreen, or risk a potentially toxic sunburn, when clothing is safe and effective?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 03-21-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't have a problem with anybody wearing a bikini- infant, "hot babe", wrinkly grandma, or anybody in between. I don't have a problem if the person in a bikini is male or female (or anything in between). Wear whatever you're comfortable wearing!

However, I want my own kids in SPF protection swimwear for both modesty and sun protection. I make my son wear a rash guard and board shorts. Redheads burn easily! I prefer my girls wear a skirted bottom or shorts, with a "rash guard" top- last summer I purchased a bikini for my oldest to wear as "bra and panties" underneath. My middle child prefers to just wear a one-piece bathing suit, though I'd be happier if she wore something with a little more coverage. I woudln't stop her from wearing a bikini if she really wanted to, but I prefer that she didnt'. Why use more potentially toxic sunscreen, or risk a potentially toxic sunburn, when clothing is safe and effective?
good point!
I have been sunburned maybe twice in my entire life, and I just had 2 pre-cancerous moles removed. I was told that if they hadn't been removed, they would have been melanoma in a few years
Old 03-21-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

I'm out of the loop. Whats a rash guard?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 03-21-2007, 09:09 PM

I wore a bikini when I was little. I looked freakin' adorable. :

I would much rather look at pics of myself as a 4 y/o in a bikini than look at myself in one now. :

And I don't think little kids in bikinis look like adults. I think they look like little kids in bikinis.

Heather, mama to          
Old 03-21-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I'm out of the loop. Whats a rash guard?
It's a shirt (made out of bathing suit material) you wear under a wetsuit, to prevent a rash.

Heather, mama to          
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This topic comes up every year around this time. Two pieces are easier for potty learning ages and swim diapers are obviously just bottoms.

When I was little we either went naked or topless. I think it's an American thing, the sexualizing of everything.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Ick. I loathe the triangle tops on babies, toddlers, young girls - anyone covering "breasts" that don't exist. As a lactivist, I find it there's so much emphasis already on the (waaaay too early) sexualizing of the breast and not enough on women using them for their intended purpose. Nothing wrong with *women* being "sexy" (no matter what your shape and size) but I hate to see that intent for pre-pubescent girls and younger.

Then again, I'm not a fan of little girls' clothing that imitates adult looks designed to be "sexy"...low-rise jeans, et al. I think it's too much pressure to grow up too fast in ways that our littlest ones aren't ready for.

ETA - I have no problem with wetsuits (if you're into hard core sun protection) or monokinis (just the bottoms.) I wore monokinis from infancy through young girlhood - my mom was European and thought it was ridiculous for me to wear two patches covering non-existant breasts (I agree.) Tankinis, I get - more sun coverage - easier for diapers and potty learning.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 PM

I haven't decided when DD will be allowed to wear one. But i never understood why they made them for a 9 month old anyway. I wouldn't consider ever letting my little tiny baby wear one for fear of sunburn!

DD has only had a one piece since birth. They do make them with cute ruffels on the butt too!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM

dd wears tankinis pretty much exclusively. i don't like one-piece suits for her b/c it's too hard to go to the bathroom (sand & ocean seem to make her poop : ) we often do the rash guard + bathing suit bottom. land's end makes awesome bathing suits in all styles & all with built in SPF in the fabric very very worth it!

as for the skimpy bikinis- i don't think they're cute & they move all over the place & never stay put & i don't see how they can be comfortable. i'm not about modesty so much for the beach & in the backyard, but she needs to be able to PLAY without her clothes falling off or going up her bum!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzharmony View Post
When I was little we either went naked or topless. I think it's an American thing, the sexualizing of everything.
:

We went topless until about 6 or 8, but I had a cousin who went topless until puberty hit.

I'd much rather let my DC go topless than put them in a string bikini though.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 03-21-2007, 09:32 PM

I think they are cute if they are not cut the wrong way. They are much easier to go the bathroom in than a one piece.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Also Dd often went topless swimming for quite some time. Maybe till she was 5 or so? I can't recall when she stopped wanting to do that.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 03-21-2007, 09:46 PM

Sigh. I always swam topless, and completely felt free and unselfconscious...until some woman on the beach in Acapulco pulled aside the six year old me and told me to, "Go tell your mother to put your top on.":

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady101 View Post
I think they are cute if they are not cut the wrong way. They are much easier to go the bathroom in than a one piece.
: bikini's actually fit my dd (8) much better than most one pieces that ALWAYS seem to ride up her rear... she's tall and gangly with a long torso and long legs so having a two piece is much more comfy for her.

Maaaammaa!! to A 2/99 M 7/00 J 10/04 B 4/07 S 3/09
Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 PM

I feel more comfortable if my 7 yo has more coverage in certain public places-she is also pretty modest (not to mention athletic-she'd constantly be pulling a triangle top down) and only wants to wear rash guards and boy shorts, or tankinis. I've dressed her in bikinis when she was younger, and her little sister wears smaller-type bikini tops, but she also wears tankinis, rashguards, etc. more often.

Something I am conscious of is my 7 yo being "objectified" even in the most innocent of ways-she really doesn't like drawing attention to herself by being "cute," and wearing a bikini I think makes her feel vulnerable that way. Hey, if she continues to not want external validation for her looks I will be thrilled!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:06 PM

I ordered this one

http://www.bodenusa.com/col.asp?segn...&gpid=21&gen=1

My dd loves her Bee-kinis

I've seen some one piece off the shoulder leopard numbers that I'd never put on my dd.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:33 PM

I think they are generally cute, although some of them might be too much depending on the design and age of the child. I got dd a super cute one when she was a toddler but really she didn't need the top anyway at that age
Old 03-21-2007, 10:38 PM

I for the longest time was against 2 peices on girls. Until my oldest dd hit a growth spurt. The only way to get a suit long enough for her trunk was to have one that way way too big her.

The ones that I found for her have been more of a boxy shape bottom with halter top.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:44 PM

I have been debating this as well. My DD is almost 5. We are going to Hawaii in a few weeks and she needs a new suit. She is so tall and skinny, that I don't know what size to get her. It seems like a 4 is too short and goes up her butt and a 5 is too big. I am thinking I might go look at the bikinis/tankinis at Old Navy!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
Ick. I loathe the triangle tops on babies, toddlers, young girls - anyone covering "breasts" that don't exist. As a lactivist, I find it there's so much emphasis already on the (waaaay too early) sexualizing of the breast and not enough on women using them for their intended purpose. Nothing wrong with *women* being "sexy" (no matter what your shape and size) but I hate to see that intent for pre-pubescent girls and younger.
Yep, I totally agree. My MIL came over one day with a triangle cut bikini. I said NO WAY, and of course, she gave me a hard time over it. Then today at DD's birthday someone gave her another bikini, and she said something. Not out loud, but I could here the (UA violation) snickering in the background. I just wasn't about to make a big deal of it in a room full of people, so I'll call the gift giver up tomorrow and explain that we already have a swim suit and we want to exchange it.

It just drives me nuts that people want to sexualize something that isn't there. I would let her go naked if I wasn't worried about getting a sun burn, so it's a rash guard and bottoms.

This is what DD wears to the beach.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM

He!! no!!! My daughter will NOT be allowed to wear one until she has the breasts to fill it out!!

User Tag List