Fifth Annual Autism Walk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-15-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday was the Cumberland MD TriState area's fifth annual walk to benefit autism research. My best friend decided five years ago that she had to do something to help her daughter, & others like her who have autism. Our first year we raised $30,000 total, after all the late donations came trickling in. Yesterday alone, our walk total was $60,000!!! I am so proud of my friend, who has some serious health issues herself, homeschools her kids, devotes hours to choir practice, teaches college students about autism, & raises a developmentally delayed daughter with love & joy... In five years she has been able to donate an amazing $260,000 to autism research!!

The best thing about her is that, although she is doing so much to "cure" autism, she would not change one thing about her daughter- unless it was something to make her daughter's life easier- I mean- she would not take autism away from her daughter, because without autism, her daughter would not be the same person. I just think it is so neat that she is able to raise this amount of money, while also being content with her daughter just the way she is.

I just had to share because I am so proud of her & just stunned at the amount of money she has raised in this very small town community. No one else could do it but her!
#2 of 3 Old 04-15-2007, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Aww! That's awsome. I have a son on the spectrum, and i never knew there was a walk.

I loved what you said about her loving her daughter for wh o she is, and not trying to change that, but just make her dd's life easier. We do so much to help our son and make his life easier, but at the same time, we are not trying to "cure" him. He is who he is, spectrum and all. Sometimes some of my family seem to want to 'fix' him, and that's just a totally different vibe to it. Tell your friend how much I appreciate what she is doing. I would also cross post this in the special needs parenting. I am sure that we would all love it there!

#3 of 3 Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks! Yeah, I should've posted it there first, oops!

I have seen some kids with autism who have been "trained" to appear "normal" & none of those kids have the spark or zest for life that this little girl has. She is just very special to me. She will be ten in August & I have known her since the day she was born.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page