I need help sticking to something - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-24-2007, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have this really bad habit of starting something and then not finishing it. There is still plastic covering ds floor from where I've not painted his base boards in his room from 2 weeks ago. I'll get to it maybe some time this week or next weekend. Promise!

The thing I need help with now is school. I've been going to college now for umm... 5 years working on a 2 year degree.

Before that I was going to another college but only did one term and moved back home.

Anyway. I just changed my major yet again. This makes my 7th time. The reason I changed the first time was because it was a waiting list to get into the program and I did not want to wait. The others were because I changed my minds about the career or I realized it was not for me.

So here I am going back to school this summer, working on a new major. I only have 3 core classes to take care of and after this summer I'll be done with 2 semesters in the program. I need help keeping up with this. I need to finish something! I'm going to take one evening class and one internet class but I'm going to go to the school every night when dh gets off work to work on my school work so I'm not distracted by things at home.

I guess what I'm looking for is a few folks to kick me but the back side every now and then to keep me on track and remind me that I could have a masters by now with as much school I've done.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 04-24-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
I have this really bad habit of starting something and then not finishing it. There is still plastic covering ds floor from where I've not painted his base boards in his room from 2 weeks ago. I'll get to it maybe some time this week or next weekend. Promise!

The thing I need help with now is school. I've been going to college now for umm... 5 years working on a 2 year degree.

Before that I was going to another college but only did one term and moved back home.

Anyway. I just changed my major yet again. This makes my 7th time. The reason I changed the first time was because it was a waiting list to get into the program and I did not want to wait. The others were because I changed my minds about the career or I realized it was not for me.

So here I am going back to school this summer, working on a new major. I only have 3 core classes to take care of and after this summer I'll be done with 2 semesters in the program. I need help keeping up with this. I need to finish something! I'm going to take one evening class and one internet class but I'm going to go to the school every night when dh gets off work to work on my school work so I'm not distracted by things at home.

I guess what I'm looking for is a few folks to kick me but the back side every now and then to keep me on track and remind me that I could have a masters by now with as much school I've done.
Thanks
It sounds like you're very, very busy. Perhaps tapering things down to just a few, might help you focus. I would just prioritize things, maybe even on paper. Like:

-Family-obvious
-School-This needs to get finished for many reasons. (You've come so far, it's good for you to get educated, it sets a good example for your kids etc...)
-Home (projects)

Also, embrace the facts about who you are. I struggle with obsessing about a project and not stopping until it's finished....at the expense of other things.

HEY, maybe you and I should combine our powers!
#3 of 3 Old 04-24-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by devster4fun View Post

Also, embrace the facts about who you are. I struggle with obsessing about a project and not stopping until it's finished....at the expense of other things.
I do this too just this time I got burnt out on painting. After finishing dd's room I felt done, but I started ds's room anyway. Dh's bad habit of going from one thing to another before it is done has rubbed off on me. But I can't paint ds room with him in it, and it needs time to air out. Today I started on getting garage cleared out... but it needs to get cleared out before next week and it is a mess.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page