Do you tip your hairdresser? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Do you tip your hairdresser?
Only with a haircut 69 82.14%
Only with a chemical service 3 3.57%
Never 12 14.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 05:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always tip my hairdresser, owner or not. Even when she owned the salon, she was supporting her grandkids and her dh was disabled. I usually tip 20%. I saw earlier in the thread about dog groomers - are you supposed to tip them? I get my groomed at the vet and they usually do other services while they are in there - shots, etc., so I never thought about tipping the groomer.
#62 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 05:57 PM

Last time I tipped 20% and the hairdresser seemed really surprised, I wondered if I was tipping too much! Is it different in Canada? I actually thought about starting a poll on this subject but it was too much trouble.
#63 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Dar

I also couldn't vote because I always tip. Right now I get my hair done at the beauty college, so it's cheaper but takes longer... I tip about 15-20%, depending on how much I liked the service and what the nearest 5 dollar increment is.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#64 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Last time I tipped 20% and the hairdresser seemed really surprised, I wondered if I was tipping too much! Is it different in Canada? I actually thought about starting a poll on this subject but it was too much trouble.
I'm in Canada and my friend averages 20% tips.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#65 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
I'm in canada and I always tip 15-20%. But didn't vote, no "always" option

Memz, with mylove.gif and mommy  of babygirl.gif born 01/17/10 and 3 cat.gif familybed1.gifsaynovax.giffly-by-nursing1.gif

***4** *8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

#66 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:07 PM

i couldnt vote. i tip regardless of the service.
#67 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM

I tip my hair stylist $10 for a $40 cut and $20 for a cut and color. I also tip the woman who washes hair a few dollars (usually $5.) When dd got her hair trimmed the other day ($8 at an inexpensive place that caters to college students,) I tipped $3.

My mom worked in a service industry and really relied on tips, so she taught me the importance of tipping. She even left tips in hotel rooms for the cleaning people. I've never known any one else who did that.
#68 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM

Hmm.. I dont see an option to vote for ' every time '. but, i tip every single time. well, barring some total screw up on the stylist's fault.
#69 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finch View Post
Um, always. I thought it was understood that you always tip the hairdresser.
Not everyone would know that. I didn't know, and didn't tip the two times I went (for weddings - I was a bridesmaid in one, and the bride in the other). I wish I'd realized that was something one tipped for, but I didn't. My mom didn't go to hairdressers, and I've never gone (except for the two weddings). Salon etiquette just isn't something that ever came up in my circle of friends and relatives.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#70 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama View Post
My mom worked in a service industry and really relied on tips, so she taught me the importance of tipping.
Maybe that's part of why I'm tip-challenged. My dad was a furniture mover, tips didn't come his way very frequently. I never realized they were a depended-upon part of income in so many jobs.

Quote:
She even left tips in hotel rooms for the cleaning people. I've never known any one else who did that.
That's kind of funny. I always assumed that was something everyone did.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#71 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 PM

I always tip for any service.
#72 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:32 PM

I voted with haircut, that is all I get done. I tip $4 on my $20 hair cut. If I get a pedi or mani I tip for that too.
#73 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Maybe that's part of why I'm tip-challenged. My dad was a furniture mover, tips didn't come his way very frequently.
Really, I always tip my furniture movers, too...

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#74 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karina5 View Post
Weird poll. I thought that tipping your hairdresser is just the appropriate thing to do, regardless of whether it was a cut, color, etc.....

Who are people who do not tip? Not cool.
um. ME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Poot View Post
Never because I only get my hair trimmed like twice a year, and I can barely afford that. Tips are out of the question, sorry
Yeah pretty much that's us to. I get my hair cut, and by cut I mean trimmed maybe once a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
Always. It's rude not to.
:irk

Nice.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#75 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 PM

I always tip. I rarely get my hair trimmed professionally, though. Its all one length, and very long so I have my dh trim the bottom every few months. I get it trimmed professionally maybe twice a year. I also tip for eye brow waxing.
#76 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Not everyone would know that. I didn't know, and didn't tip the two times I went (for weddings - I was a bridesmaid in one, and the bride in the other). I wish I'd realized that was something one tipped for, but I didn't. My mom didn't go to hairdressers, and I've never gone (except for the two weddings). Salon etiquette just isn't something that ever came up in my circle of friends and relatives.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to step on toes. :

I can totally understand that. My mom may have taken us to hairdressers for cuts, but she didn't teach us a THING about how to style hair or how to apply makeup. I had to uncover a lot of the "female world" mysteries all by myself. Bleah. It was embarassing.
#77 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I don't pay anybody to cut my own hair (I cover it, so I don't want to uncover it at the hair place, and besides who's going to see it if it's a little crooked?) I used to trim it myself but now I usually get one of my daughters to cut it for me.

When I take the kids for haircuts, I almost always tip the person who cuts their hair. I say "almost always" because I won't tip if the person is obnoxious and/or gives a lousy haircut.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#78 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I tip for everything. Esp if I'm going to try to get another appointment or if taking longer means doing a better job. I like to think that tipping means I can get that last minute appointment or the stylist won't hate me when they finish a cut and I realize I did want layers afterall. In other words, it's my way of apologizing
#79 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 PM

Well, YEAH!

I don't get any chemical stuff done, but when I get the ol' annual trim, I always tip at least five bucks. Wouldn't occur to me not to.

I just kind of automatically calculate it into the price of the haircut.

Except one time when I got a haircut that literally looked like someone had taken a weed-whacker to it-- uneven, WAY, WAY shorter than I'd requested, just shockingly unflattering.

I almost cried.

I paid for the cut, but sure as hell wasn't going to TIP her for that!
#80 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 07:51 PM

I'm with Mama Poot, a lot of times I can't afford tips. I do realize that they rely on tips, my own DH's second job is waiting tables (his first is stocking shelves at costco...), and a lot of times those tips are the only thing to pull us through the week. But, the fact of the matter is, I already can only afford it once a year or so, and most times 20 dollars is literally ALL I HAVE to go to the haircutters with. I will usually tip whatever I have left from my 20, though, but they usually end up with a dollar or two tip from me....

mama to August May (8/06) Liberty Kiana (7/08) and Calliope Rose (6/15/10)
#81 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 08:08 PM

I can fully understand barely being able to afford the haircut, much less paying a tip on top of that. Well, when I find myself in that situation, I don't go for a haircut or take a child for a haircut. My girls and I simply don't get it cut until I have the extra cash, and if DS needs a haircut when I'm broke then I'll do it myself.

If I can't afford the tip, then I can't afford the haircut.

Don't feel bad if you rarely get haircuts and weren't familair with haircut tipping ettiquette before now. You didn't know, but now you do.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#82 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 08:37 PM

I tip for everything. I think it's part of being a people pleaser. I want people to like me.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#83 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM

i didn't vote bc i always tip, regardless of what i'm getting done.
#84 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 10:01 PM

I always tip at the hair salon, at least 20%, sometimes 25%.
#85 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 PM

yep
#86 of 110 Old 05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
If I can't afford the tip, then I can't afford the haircut.
Yeah, what she said.

And you can get a good cut for a lot less than $20. I used to have a stylist I loved at Supercuts or Great Clips or somewhere like that, and it was $15 including the tip. Now I go to the beauty school here, and it's $5, and I tip a dollar or two. The woman who supervises is great and she checks every cut and fixes anything that needs fixing...

dar

#87 of 110 Old 05-03-2007, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I almost always tip at the beauty school, for any service. At my hairdresser, I don't. She cuts hair out of her home, and its only her. The prices are pretty high for around here, I figure its built in the price. But I do love her, so maybe I should ask if she accepts tips. I do tip if I go to a chain salon.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#88 of 110 Old 05-03-2007, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I voted never but only because I am switching to a salon where tips are not alowed. Even if you offer they are refused. I normally tipped though. Amount depended on how happy I was. A friend came out of a hairdressers crying. I was stunned to hear she hated her hair cut but still tipped.
#89 of 110 Old 05-03-2007, 12:42 AM

I tip about $15 for a $100 haircut/color.
#90 of 110 Old 05-03-2007, 12:45 AM

I didn't vote. When I get my hair done I tip unless they have been rude, or just did a terrible job. I take my son to a kids specialty salon and the owner cuts it so we do not tip there.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page