there's something in my attic! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-15-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am laying in bed asleep when I begin to hear scratches and thumps and noises which I presume to be one of the cats- I sit up, about to shoo it away and I see one of my cats sitting on the end of my bed, staring up at the ceiling, where the noise is actually coming from!

I listened for a bit and decided it's probably a rat- we've had rats in our driveway and basement in the years past. so I thump on the ceiling to try and scare it off. doesn't work. hmm, that's not like a rat. in fact, the more I listen, it's less and less like little scratching rodent noises and more like crazed animal trying to get out noises!! and the bad part was, it was almost always in one spot- the hatch that opens to the ceiling. I scared myself enough about a rabid raccoon falling out of my ceiling next to the bed that I grabbed the cat, grabbed dd, and came down here (DH, of course, mumbled a "probably a squirrel came in through the roof" with no further explanation and went back to sleep, as men will).

wwyd?? call animal control? assume it's just rats or mice? what if it's still making noise this afternoon?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#2 of 3 Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
is there a critter control in your area? that's the kinda thing they do. i don't know what i'd do, but hope it went away, which might be a bad idea if it died up there and started to smell. squirrels can get places they can't get out of. i had to free one from the downspout of our gutter once. the downspout went underground and into one of those black plastic pipes that drains the water away from the house. i knew what i was dealing with, though. not knowing what's in the attic and sticking my head up into the black kinda skeeves me out. got a football helmet you can wear to check it out?

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 3 Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If it's a little scratching noise, I'd say it's a mouse. A big noise might be a squirrel. I would call animal control or an exterminator.

My DH was the same way. I knew there was something up in our attic (it was a squirrel) and DH said oh that's just the wind or something outside. Um, no, it was a squirrel chewing its way into our attic and deciding to live there! The exterminator caught it with a trap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page