Family Drama: CPS Question Update (if you care) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My cousin just got beat by her husband for the 2nd time (that we know of). Her sister is taking her to the hospital and they are pressing charges. But he left with their dd. No one knows where he is and at this point we don't know what is going on. When the cops do find him and arrest him what will happen to the little girl if her mom is still in the hospital? Will Cps take her in until my cousin can get her? Will they let her go in with family? Will they drop her off at the hospital? I don't think my cousin was beat bad enough to be admitted to the hospital but you know how long they take to get some one checked out.

Gah! I don't want that little girl to be taken away from her mom over this, but the way you guys talk about CPS it has me worried. She is one of those hard headed 3 year olds I told my mom to let them know that they can stay here, because he does not know where we live.
Thanks
#2 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Banned

No, they won't put her in foster care if there is no question of abuse and either the mother or a family member is available to care for her. I hope the police find her right quick
#3 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 PM

they won't take her child away. First thing they'll do is ask if there's a family member who can come get her.

Yes, and I hope they find her. Poor kid.
#4 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 PM

if the mom is awake and ok, and there is another adult with her at the hospital they might take the girl there and give custody to the mom ---- but not if she is alone.

but you never really know -- it will be up to a judge most likely........

for CPS to pull a child, or place a child in protective custody or to place a child in teh cusdoy of ANYONE -- it has to go through a judge.....

it also depends on the state of the child when found.

ther eis no definate answer.

sorry you are living this -- CPS is there to protect the child, and in this case is your allie.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:24 PM

Could you help her contact a shelter? They could probably give her more specialized help.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, it's theoretically possible for CPS to put the child in foster care- I HAVE heard stories of women abused by their partners and then further abused by the system that's supposed to protect them. However, that isn't very likely.

What should happen/will most likely happen is that he will be arrested and the police station will contact CPS if the child is in good condition. If the child is not well or is injured, then the police will send the child to a hospital and the hospital will contact CPS. Then CPS will contact the mother and make sure that the mother has a safe place to go with the child, or place the child with relatives in a safe home if the mother is still in the hospital.

There is no way to avoid CPS involvement at this point. There will be an open case to make sure that the child is in an abuse-free home and the father does not endanger the child in any way. I dealt with that after I split up with DS' bio father- DS was in no danger but the caseworker had to make sure that the bio-idiot didn't initiate contact and endanger my kids in any way.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#7 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's theoretically possible for CPS to put the child in foster care- I HAVE heard stories of women abused by their partners and then further abused by the system that's supposed to protect them. However, that isn't very likely.
i worked the system for 9 years.

this CAN, though rarely, happen -- and it is sad -- but it comes down to what is best for the child...and if the mom is not found to be able to protect the child, or if there are real qwuestions of abuse to the child, and there is indications mom might have a hand it in -- or was knowly allowing it to occure without protecting the child -- the child can be removed --- but we all need to remember -- it is very diffcult to get a child removed from parental custody.

in a case like this -- as it seems on the surface (and the surface is often very differnt than the reality below) i would expect the mom to get the child and to get services. as Ruthie pointed out CSP will need to assess the child is not being, and has not been, abused and that the mom has a safe home for the child and that the child has no contact or only approved contact, with the father......

CSP can be a great help -- espcaily in cases of abuse and divorce and custdoy.

AImee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#8 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. We are still waiting to hear back from them to see what happened. I hope they find him before he leaves the state. Who knows where he will go. I wish she did not let him back around after the first time, but what can you do whey they are convinced they have changed and it was a one time thing?
#9 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 01:40 PM

In my area there are DV advocates who can come out to the hospital to help the woman through the legal system. There are cases when they do have to report the incident to CPS but usually it's a non issue. I expect that the baby will go to family unless there are some really unusual circumstances. Good luck and I hope she finds the support she needs.
#10 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

He is in jail and she has her dd at another cousin's house. They also got a restraining order out on him. I just hope she does not go back to him this time. :
#11 of 18 Old 05-16-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
i worked the system for 9 years.

this CAN, though rarely, happen -- and it is sad -- but it comes down to what is best for the child...and if the mom is not found to be able to protect the child, or if there are real qwuestions of abuse to the child, and there is indications mom might have a hand it in -- or was knowly allowing it to occure without protecting the child -- the child can be removed --- but we all need to remember -- it is very diffcult to get a child removed from parental custody.

in a case like this -- as it seems on the surface (and the surface is often very differnt than the reality below) i would expect the mom to get the child and to get services. as Ruthie pointed out CSP will need to assess the child is not being, and has not been, abused and that the mom has a safe home for the child and that the child has no contact or only approved contact, with the father......

CSP can be a great help -- espcaily in cases of abuse and divorce and custdoy.

AImee
Ditto.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#12 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 03:05 AM
Banned

i'm glad she has a safe place to stay, but it might behoove her to get hooked up with a DV shelter anyway, because they provide counseling and ways to avoid going back into an abusive situation out of 'love' or lonliness or whatever.
#13 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
He is in jail and she has her dd at another cousin's house. They also got a restraining order out on him. I just hope she does not go back to him this time. :
I just saw this, glad to read that the child is okay. many hugs to your cousin.
#14 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 03:22 AM

I am glad they are okay

, , , and
#15 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 03:41 AM

I'm glad they safe for now. I went back many times but my ex never took the kids. I hope she doesn't go back, that is so scary.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#16 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnnThrope View Post
((hugs)) and prayers for your cousins.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#17 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Banned

I'm so happy to hear the little one is back with her mama, and your cousin is well enough to be out of the hospital
#18 of 18 Old 05-17-2007, 09:31 AM

I hope so too

she need to stay away if she wants to keep her daughter.....knwingly retruning to an abuser, allowing a child to see her abuised and putting a child at risk = all can be condiered child endangement if CPS ever got called on her vs him.

Aimee

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page