Most romantic thing your partner has ever done. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-20-2007, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband isn't the most romantic person in the world. Our engagement was rather simple. I had been on a plane all day and wanted to take a bath, so he drew a bath for me. When I went into the bathroom my ring was on the towels he set out for me. I almost didn't notice it, and could have flung it into the toilet.

I love hearing stories.. so do share!

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2007, 12:05 AM

When we were teenagers and had no money to our names, he assembled this cute little box of things for my Christmas gift:
- a candle so I'd always have light
- a little stuffed Felix the cat from a Wendy's kids' meal so I'd always have a friend
- a compass that belonged to his grandfather, so I'd always know which way to go
- and a little music box - the kind you have to continuously wind in order for it to make sound - so I'd always have something beautiful to listen to

It was so cute...and so romantic, especially for a teenage boy who is, as our society states, not supposed to have emotions. I keep telling him to this day that it was my favorite Christmas gift ever and he thinks I'm being sarcastic and making fun of him...but it's true!

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
Old 05-20-2007, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova22 View Post
When we were teenagers and had no money to our names, he assembled this cute little box of things for my Christmas gift:
- a candle so I'd always have light
- a little stuffed Felix the cat from a Wendy's kids' meal so I'd always have a friend
- a compass that belonged to his grandfather, so I'd always know which way to go
- and a little music box - the kind you have to continuously wind in order for it to make sound - so I'd always have something beautiful to listen to

It was so cute...and so romantic, especially for a teenage boy who is, as our society states, not supposed to have emotions. I keep telling him to this day that it was my favorite Christmas gift ever and he thinks I'm being sarcastic and making fun of him...but it's true!

That is SO sweet!! :

Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 AM

5 months before our DD was born, he gave me a beautiful emerald and diamond ring because those are her and my birthstones.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:10 AM

AHhh, what sweeties!

Most romantic...hmmm.

I can't think of one specific thing but whenever my hubby buys me a present, he gets so excited and ends up giving it to me before the event. He had planned this elaborate proposal but he couldn't go through with it, so he got on his knee in his boxer and asked me to marry him. Honestly, I was beginning to get annoyed with him, I had been trying to study for an exam and he kept asking me if I wanted to go out to dinner. I remember yelling at him...yeah, I felt bad later.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 05-20-2007, 12:11 AM

AWWWW! My DH has done some super sweet stuff...buy honestly it kind'a makes me to talk about it...

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
AWWWW! My DH has done some super sweet stuff...buy honestly it kind'a makes me to talk about it...

fess up!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild View Post
5 months before our DD was born, he gave me a beautiful emerald and diamond ring because those are her and my birthstones.
My BIL owns a jewlery store, and I had been eyeing a diamond and saphire ring for ages. Well, after DD was born he came home one day with a gift bag and set it on the counter. I assumed it was for DD and would get to it later. He kept hoovering, asking if I was going to open the bag. I was honestly just busy, thinking it was probably just another silly baby gift.

I finally opened it and it was my ring!! By then he was asleep. He got tired of waiting for me to open it.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Banned

For my 30th birthday, DH wanted to plan a surprise party but he didn't want me to know about it. So he planned two surprise parties, one really lame one a couple of days before the real one. So we had the one and it was really lame. Then when it came time for the real one I was actually confused when I got home and all my friends were there. Good times, good times.

BTW, I was pregnant 3 months later.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:31 AM

DH went to a bachelor party. The guys were supposed to all spend the night at one house, but DH decided he had to come home. He was tipsy but walked the whole way. He even picked some flowers for me on the way. His friends teased him about that for awhile.

I had a bad day at work. On the way home DH asked me to stop off at the store. He came out with a bunch of flowers.

The time he baked a birthday cake for me and felt bad when it was all crooked and "ugly looking" (his words). Love the picture I have of him holding it with a sheepish/pissed off look on his face

After a long day of work when I'd fall asleep on the couch he'd wake me up in time to watch my favourite show (usually Lost or Heroes) with supper ready.

When he told me I'd make a great mother after taking care of my 11 month old niece for 5 days. :

It's mostly the little things that mean the most.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:50 AM

There really is no one romantic time. He does little things and they mean the most. Sometimes on his way home he will pull over and pick some wildflowers for me. They just seem to mean so much more than ones bought from the store. He rubs my feet all the time.

I think one of the more romantic events was my 21st birthday. I got home and he told me to put on my formal dress. He blindfolded me when we got into the car and after a lot of driving we arrived. He guided me up a hill and took the blindfold off. It was a restaurant that I had been wanting to go to forever but it was soooooo expensive. He had reserved a corner candlelit table that overlooked the whole city. We had an awesome waitress with a really cool accent. We both had filet mignon (pre-vegetarian days) and red wine. For desert I had Tiramisu. It was great. No need to tell you what happened later

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 05-20-2007, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
When we were dating, dp picked me up after a dance class and somehow I just felt beautiful, not tired and sweaty. He drove me out to a little beach we used to canoe out to, and pulled out a blanket and homemade cheescake and brushetta. It was great. I felt like a moron afterwards because it was actually his prom night, and I didn't even realize. But, it was amazing.
I love it when he comes and sits next to the tub when I'm having a bath, and just talks to me, or plays with my hair.

For greater things are yet to come...

Old 05-20-2007, 03:45 AM

I don't really know what the most romantic thing he's done was. Neither of us is really all that romantic in the rose-petals-and-pink-champagne way, but I find romance in a lot of everyday stuff that would look fairly mundane to an outsider.

Let's see...

If I go to bed before him, he makes the bed (we're both too lazy to make the bed when we get up) and folds the blankets so that it looks all nice and cozy and inviting.

When he's on the internet and sees something he thinks I'd find funny/cute/interesting, he leaves the window open for me (or saves it on the computer to show me when I'm feeling down).

If he goes to bed after me, he sometimes leaves a note up on the computer saying that he loves me.

He tells me he loves me first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed (and usually several times in between).

He pretends he's not sick of listening to me babble on about things I find more interesting than he does. Well, most of the time anyway. I do the same. Most of the time.

Every time he wants to go out, he asks me first, before promising others he'll come.

He took me up on top of Falkland Hill. I'd never been there before but I'd always wanted to go. The day I arrived to Scotland, after six weeks of being apart, he took me there for a little picnic and proposed to me.

He told me he thought I'd be the best mother in the world.

He asked me if I wanted to light a candle on the anniversary of the m/c, after I'd been all irritable and horrible all day long. I didn't know how to bring up the fact that it had been a year, and didn't think he remembered. He held me while I cried.

I don't know if all of these things are romantic as such. But every one of them made me feel so much in love with him.

Gosh, I'm crying now. Thanks a lot
Old 05-20-2007, 05:19 AM

I have this pair of Birkenstocks

Now my sister bought these Birkenstocks for me at the Birkenstock factory in Germany, they have flowers on them and I have never seen any similar here in the US, people are often asking where I got them and all jealous of my unusual Birks

So..one day I noticed I couldn't find my Birkenstocks anywhere and I was sad as I love those sandles and tend to wear them a lot. I looked and looked and looked and was going out of my mind!!

Then on Mother's Day my dp surprised my with my own Birkenstocks! He had gotten them resoled..it was so sweet.

Around our five year anniversary he had my sister start a lot of threads at her board, like.."So if you were going to a romantic dinner where would you want to go"

"What do you think is really romantic music??"

"What would be a romantic getaway place??"

"What are your favorite flowers" (I like bright crazy ones and do not actually like roses..but he should know that!)

I wasn't actually posting to them but snarking in a different area : So she starts complaining not many people are giving input and says I have to go post to them.

So then...dp did all the stuff I had mentioned on the threads. He took me to a wonderful Argentinian restraunt I have always wanted to go to and this really awesome bed and breakfast here in town. (he had to find the B&B himself as I had snarked on that one..something about anything that doesn't include D&D or hockey bwha!)

He took me to this B&B, we stayed in the Monte Cristo room

http://www.chateauavalon.net/

So he gets me there I have NO IDEA what is going on and we get to the room and I just sit on the bed and bawl my head off.

He had even packed my clothes and had them waiting at the B&B!

So once she is informed the plan has been commenced she goes and posts about all the threads and such and when we got back I had to give updates.

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 05-20-2007, 05:35 AM

ohmygosh, the previous posts have me all teary-eyed! sooo sweet!!

My DH is forever doing the everyday, little things that are so romantic. No doubt he's thinking of me and is listening/knows what I like/don't like, that sort of thing. He's surprised me on several occassions by telling me to get ready and then taking me to a play or concert without me knowing what the destination was. For one anniversary he took me snowshoeing by the full moon, then we stayed in a tiny cabin on a riverbank. Also a surprise.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkat View Post
I love it when he comes and sits next to the tub when I'm having a bath, and just talks to me, or plays with my hair.
turtle does that for me and I love it, too.

I think the most romantic thing she's done was our first insem--she had all the details set up, had made this little nest/bed for me on the couch in the living room...the whole thing was just lovely, even though it didn't work. It was, hands down, the most romantic thing ever, this very concrete (and somewhat bizarre) beginning to our family-making.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
AHhh, what sweeties!

Most romantic...hmmm.

I can't think of one specific thing but whenever my hubby buys me a present, he gets so excited and ends up giving it to me before the event. He had planned this elaborate proposal but he couldn't go through with it, so he got on his knee in his boxer and asked me to marry him. Honestly, I was beginning to get annoyed with him, I had been trying to study for an exam and he kept asking me if I wanted to go out to dinner. I remember yelling at him...yeah, I felt bad later.
My dh annoyed me the day he proposed too! He had picked me up from work and as we were driving home he mentioned that he had gone to the mall that day with his friend. Bizarre since they aren't "go to the mall" guys. So I think, "oh wow, he got the ring". Then he starts going on about how he wasn't sure he was ready to get married bla bla bla. So I start making dinner and he wants me to help him carve pumpkins (it's Oct. 30). I'm thinking "carve your own damn pumpkin, I thought we were getting married." Finally he convinces me to come over and help him and as I scoop out the center of the pumpkin the ring was inside.

Dh doesn't do a lot of little things, but for holidays or birthdays he always finds the perfect gift. For Mother's Day he had a statue of dd and ds made. The Mother's Day that I was pg with dd, he had one of ds and the dog made marking the end of the time with just the three of us.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:35 PM

Dh is admittedly unromantic-he's funny, but not romantic one bit. Example-he proposed to me over thanksgiving dinner...literally handed me my ring as I carved the turkey!

Though, he did surprise me a couple of times. One day in the beginning of our relationship he called me at work and we were just chatting. He knew I went for a walk on my break, so when I got outside there he was standing with a bouquet of flowers.

For my first mothers day, he made me stay in bed and took ds from the room. I started smelling chocolate and hearing a big fuss. He finally calls me out and has ds in his bouncy seat with a card and box. The box was a small diamond double heart necklace (his & ds' hearts) and the card had ds' hand and foot print in chocolate as his "signature."
Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 PM

When DH got his first contract job, after moving here to be with me and being unemployed for 4.5years, he took his first paycheque, and bought a Canadian diamond necklace for me called "First Kiss". I'll cherish it forver.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:08 PM

Okay this is kind of a big nothing, but I love it, dh ALWAYS puts a full glass of water on my bedside table before he goes to bed. We don't always go to bed at the same time, but he always does it. Last week I went to LLL and then afterwards a bunch of us mamas went out to eat, and I didn't get home til 10:30pm, he was snoozing away and my water was sitting on my bedside table.

That's LOVE! : He knows I'm always thirsty at night.

Oh yeah, and he also fell in love with me when I was a struggling single mom of 3 month old twins, we got married and he adopted them. It literally cost us a fortune in lawyers fees and court fees for him to adopt them, around 15K, and he never said a word about it. He's such an incredibly involved dad -- right now he and the kids are gone for the weekend, not coming home til tomorrow evening! -- and to me that is romantic.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 05-20-2007, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
When dh and I were dating, I was renting a room in a house. I hardly had anything in my room. A dresser, and few plants and a twin mattress on the floor. I went to take a bath, and I came back to probably at least 20 candles burning all over the room and around my mattress, a glass of wine, and a bottle of massage oil. He gave me a all over body massage, but didn't expect anything in return, which of course is the best way to get something in return!

He also brings me flowers occasionally, lights candles for me, and generally gets me a gift that he knows I will love. Like for Mother's day, he got me a garden bag with a bunch of new gardening tools. His mother was there and made a sarcastic comments like, "oh, just what every woman wants." but it may not have been what every woman wanted, but he knew it was something that I loved.

User Tag List