Have You Stolen Anything From a Hotel Room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, what?

I took a hand towel once to wrap up my damp swimsuit. Washcloths are the #1 stolen item.

Did you know that typically the remote control from the TV won't work outside the hotel? Yet people steal a lot of those.

Taking the shampoo, soap, etc is not stealing. They are okay to be taken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:00 PM

Nope, never have. I thought about taking a robe once, because it was so soft and squishy and wonderful. Plus, I was paying with my credit card, so if they wanted to I'm sure they could have just charged me for it. But I chickened out. I have such a guilty conscience that I felt weird taking the slippers home with me (we were allowed to, there was a note saying so!)
#3 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM

I took a huge bath towel once...only because ds had pooped all over it when we were carrying him back up from the pool. I just didn't want some poor housekeeper to have to deal with it...it was pretty bad!
#4 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Nope, but we don't stay in hotels much.
#5 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

Only the "consumable" items like soap, pads of paper, cheap pens, etc.

Incidentally, I remember hearing/reading once that the Bibles that are placed in hotels by the Gideons are place there with the expectation that they will be taken home by someone. Not sure if that's true.
#6 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

The notebooks by the phone. Not sure if they're to keep or what, but when we were little kids we always thought they were free!

DS cracks me up when he thinks something is free. Like a pickle w/ his dinner at a restaurant. "Mom! I got a free pickle!" : No, dear, it's on the menu and included w/ the price of your meal.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#7 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Nope, I've always paid with my debit card and they'd just charge me for it. But we had to stay in a very nice hotel when we moved here and there was definitely a few things I was eyeballing

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#8 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dh stole a blanket a few months ago. He said it was just too comfy and he had to have it. I washed that sucker a few times on hot, because well, it was a hotel blanket. Ewww.

I tend to take washcloths, especially if I find a really nice one. I have at thing for washcloths.
#9 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:13 PM

I saw this on the Today Show this morning. Get this, someone actually stole a marble fireplace mantle! The whole fricken thing!

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM

i have some hotel towels.....
#11 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Guilty as well....

True Love is here....to stay!
#12 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post

Incidentally, I remember hearing/reading once that the Bibles that are placed in hotels by the Gideons are place there with the expectation that they will be taken home by someone. Not sure if that's true.
my step father said that when i was in high school so i took the bible fro my room. i dunno if it was stealing or not since i don't know if they are meant to be taken home but i took one. i even read parts of it.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#13 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:37 PM

Only once - a washcloth. We had a long bus ride home (I was in high school) and I had badly burned my ankle by forgetting a four inch spot when I put on sunscreen. I needed it!

I haven't been to too many hotels lately, but the ones I remember had signs that said you will be charged for things missing from your room.
#14 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure if it counts as stealing but in Guatemala on the table by the phone they had a sort of magazine type book with lots of pictures of Guatemala and interesting facts... yeah I nabbed it : . We had visited so many places that I finally was able to read what they were.

Also note to self when in Guatemala do NOT drink the can of Pepsi in the fridge ($6) or eat the mini stack of pringles ($8)
#15 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
No. I used to take the soap and shampoo, but I don't even do that much anymore, because I feel like it promotes waste if they have to replace it when I am taking it unopened just to keep at home. I will take a bottle of shampoo that I've opened, but if I took it every day and they replaced it every day, then I'd have quite a collection of bottles, depending on the length of my stay. I don't use shampoo, but my kids do occasionally, so I might take a bottle for them. I don't think there is anything wrong with taking the consumables, it's just that I have this tendency to say, "Ooh, free stuff, grab it!" and I had to stop and ask myself was I just taking it to take it. Kind of like on freecycle...if you aren't careful, you can end up with stuff you don't really want or need just because it's free.
#16 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:47 PM

Why would you take a TV remote?

I've only taken things like shampoo, pens, paper, coffee. I've never been moved to even want any other hotel items.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#17 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:48 PM

No, but I've gotten to keep alot of stuff that people leave behind in hotel rooms. My mother was a chambermaid in a hotel when I was a preteen. Any cash under $20 was immediately hers to keep (usually change, as a tip). Anything above 20 bucks or items like clothing were held by the office for thirty days. If they were unclaimed, she got to keep them. I still have a little travel clock that she got there
#18 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilla626 View Post

I worked for Marriott and the founder is Mormon. So they put The Book of Mormon in the rooms for people to take. You should see all of the piled up in the storage room!
#19 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:02 PM

no, never. I don't even like taking extra mini soaps etc. I feel like, I HAVE soap at home... this is just being greedy now.
#20 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Nope, as a kid I took the minisoaps because they fascinated me, but now as an adult I don't see the need

But honestly, I've never felt the urge. Although I can think of a situation in which I might....for example, a child is vomiting profusely and I need a towel to cover her in the car. But I would feel bad and probably call the hotel and tell them to add a charge for a towel on my card
#21 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM

My sis used to take all kinds of stuff from hotels. Her husband travelled for business quite often and took her along. She had a box in her closet full of soaps, ashtrays, shampoo bottles, lotions, showercaps, toothbrushes, matches, lighters, pens, notepads, towels, robes...crazy!

I admit I took an ashtray from the Shelbourne in Dublin years ago and one from a hotel in Portugal cuz I liked the color of each. I thought the Portugal one would look cool as a coin holder (you know, like in my foyer so you can dump your change when you walk in). I use the Shelbourne ashtray as a candle holder in our main bathroom Terrible, I know.

I take notepads and pens from hotels now but nothing else. Not even the shower stuff. I do, however, *use* the stuff they offer like makeup pads, cotton swabs...
#22 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nope. Then again I must not stay in very nice hotels, I've never seen a hotel towel I've liked enough to steal! They're usually a bit small for my taste.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#23 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:36 PM

I always take the soaps and stuff like that. I toss them in a box set aside for donations for when we go to Ronald McDonald House for a trip to childrens hospital. They rely on donations like that for the parents who stay there and need soaps and such. I figure its part of my cost of the room, and if I dont use it, there is someone who can and will
#24 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Every once in a blue moon, my husband and I spend a night at a very nice hotel in Boston (we spent part of our honeymoon there). It gives us an opportunity to pretend that money is not an object

Listed in the closet is a PRICE for everything in the hotel room! From the hangers to the fleece robes to the hair dryer to the art on the walls!
#25 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgsmommy View Post
I always take the soaps and stuff like that. I toss them in a box set aside for donations for when we go to Ronald McDonald House for a trip to childrens hospital. They rely on donations like that for the parents who stay there and need soaps and such. I figure its part of my cost of the room, and if I dont use it, there is someone who can and will
OOOO that is a really clever idea! I bet those soaps would be good for women's shelters too, no?
#26 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 04:02 PM

I'm a bible thief. :
#27 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBeans View Post
OOOO that is a really clever idea! I bet those soaps would be good for women's shelters too, no?

Yep, any type of shelter IMO could benefit from them. I lived in a DV shelter and because I showed up with literlly nothing, I was given a few hotel soaps and shampoos, cause that is all they had. As bad as it sounds, I also sign up online for alot of free samples, including the ones I know I wont use, cause I just donate them to RMH
#28 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Yay! I'm totally going to start cleaning out hotel rooms now

There is a DV shelter a few towns away. I only know about it cause DH is a firefighter in that town. I'm sure they could use soaps and shampoos and lotions and whatnot.
#29 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM

The better question is; "has a hotel ever stollen anything from you?" :

Bye-bye brand new everyday minerals makeup. For now on we don't stay at hotels that don't have in-room safes that you can self program.

Frankenstein never scared me. Marsupials do. Because they're FAST.
#30 of 65 Old 05-22-2007, 04:13 PM

Never taken anything beyond soaps and shampoos.
We once took a dish towel by mistake, we had a similar one, but mailed it back.

When I was leaving hospital after having DD we packed up all the cell phones etc, and took the TV remote as well returned that a couple days later, the reception office was amused

nothing more to say I guess :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page