Canon EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi or Nikon D80? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate, hate, hate the digital point-and-shoot we bought before my son was born. I can't take the poor quality anymore. I used to use a film SLR back in the day, and would love to combine the quality of an SLR with the fabulousness that is digital.

I can't decide which one to get, though. The Canon is a bit cheaper, which is a bonus, but I want to make sure I'm getting something good.

I'm mostly going to be taking pictures of my son and other family members. I plan on buying a fixed 50mm portrait-style lens along with whatever zoom comes with the camera.

TIA!

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 01:07 AM

My photographer friend says that the EOS is the superior of the two AND it's cheaper. I'm so jealous. I want a digiSLR too!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:11 AM

lol, I blogged today about the crappy point and shoot digital I have and how I desperately wanted a the canon Digital Rebel......

I defintely feel your pain. I have never had a SLR camera, but want one because the most beautiful pics I've seen taken are with SLR cameras....

I've done moderate research and plan to get the Canon Rebel....

mother to E-(8).... A-(6) .... & N-(5)
Vivian Claire born 3-11-10.... ...still an , extendedmomma :
Old 06-10-2007, 01:46 AM

I have the Rebel and I love it, so I think you should get one too. The D80 is a great camera too. IMO, for what you're using it for, if you're choosing between the two of them, it really is going to come down to which camera you're the most comfortable with. If you've got a good photography store near you, they might let you rent both of them to try them out, or test them at the very least. Even Best Buy usually will have them on display so that you can fiddle with them a bit. If I were you, I'd get a feel for both, see which one feels better to you, and go from there.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:04 AM

I'm planning on getting the D80 next year, this is mainly based on the great pictures I've seen that were taken with it, I have no clue really
Old 06-10-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I hate, hate, hate the digital point-and-shoot we bought before my son was born. I can't take the poor quality anymore. I used to use a film SLR back in the day, and would love to combine the quality of an SLR with the fabulousness that is digital.

I can't decide which one to get, though. The Canon is a bit cheaper, which is a bonus, but I want to make sure I'm getting something good.

I'm mostly going to be taking pictures of my son and other family members. I plan on buying a fixed 50mm portrait-style lens along with whatever zoom comes with the camera.

TIA!
What kind of film SLR did you use to use? If you used Canon or Nikon and you have a variety of lenses, then I would go ahead a get the camera you have lenses for.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:08 AM

I don't know anything about the other, but I LOVE my XLi! I had the original digital rebel prior and dropped it in a baby pool - it still worked afterwards! (ended up selling it though) Talk about durable.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 06-10-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisaa29 View Post
What kind of film SLR did you use to use? If you used Canon or Nikon and you have a variety of lenses, then I would go ahead a get the camera you have lenses for.
If you had a Nikon film SLR you can use those lenses on the Nikon digital SLR. You cannot do the same with the Canon.
I love my Nikon D80!!!

I know people who swear by the Canon.

You can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 AM

I have heard of various people having issues with the D80, colour casts and constant underexposure are the main ones.

I have a Canon 20d which I loooove. You can pick up a used one for a very decent price. Otherwise, I think the xti would be great. If you already have Nikon gear, I'd probably go with a D50 or 70 as I've heard that they're much more reliable than the D80.

Whatever camera you get, make sure you get a decent lens to go with it. DON'T buy the camera body with the "kit" lens that's often packaged with it (for Canon it's often the 18-55mm). This is not a good lens and you'll want to branch out from it very quickly. You're better to look into something like (for Canon) the 50mm f/1.8 (under $100) or the 85mm f/1.8 (around 350). Or if you really really want a zoom, something like the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.

Have fun!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM

I am REALLY REALLY REALLY happy with my Digital Rebel XTi. I got it a couple weeks ago when we got our tax return and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

You can take a look at the pics I have taken with mine if you like. They are obviously scaled down cause I didn't want my entire family having to download each pic at over 3000 pixels wide.

http://pics.geek-land.net
Old 06-10-2007, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

My old camera is a Pentax, and I had Tamron lenses for it.

I was worried about the kit lens, but I'm thinking maybe it would be cheapest just to get that for now along with a fixed 50mm and see if I really need a longer zoom later.

Outofmymindyo, nice photos! You're living in such a great place to do photography, too.

Ritz Cameras has the Rebel on sale this week for under $800...so I think I'm gonna do it! Thanks everyone. :

Formerly New Mama to Henry, born August 2005 and Silas, born November 2010.

User Tag List