VENT: Dogs in stores - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so sick of seeing dogs when I go to the store. It seems like an almost daily occurance now.

We were at Trader Joes on Sunday and a family was shopping. The older son, maybe 12 or 13 years old, was holding the puppy while they all walked around the store. Now I am glad they didn't leave it out in the car...hot California sun and all, but really, couldn't they leave th dog at home, or leave one of the family members in the car with the air on to stay with the dog.

Dogs, or any animal for that matter, just don't belong in the market (other than service animals of course).

I've also seen dogs put in the seat part of carts and pushed around Target or other stores.

So, if you do this, can you please explain to me the rational behind it, I really just can't think of why this has become so common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:17 AM

Have you seen the strollers they make for dogs, now? It is so ridiculous.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#3 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 AM

He matches my outfit?

I kid.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#4 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 AM

Some people get so into the "dog as surrogate child" thing, I think.

I have a dog that is way too big to sneak into a market but whenever I see someone's little yippy thing in the store I get slightly irked and amuse myself by thinking of Pixie (75 lb Belgian sheep dog who thinks she's a puppy) being in there. Pixie in the cd store...Pixie in the meat department...Pixie at the toy store...LOL.
#5 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:19 AM

If the dog is small & not aggressive or annoying, then it doesn't bother me. I'd much rather see someone carry a puppy into a store than leave it in the car to die from the heat. To many people, their dogs, especially small lap dogs, are like their children. As long as the dog's not messing things up in the store or bothering the other customers, I just don't see the problem .
#6 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:25 AM

It doesn't bother me ~ I love dogs and have never seen one behave inappropriately in a place of business. I just got back from Mendocino, CA where they welcome dogs just about everywhere.
Human4animals likes this.
#7 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookClanMama View Post
If the dog is small & not aggressive or annoying, then it doesn't bother me. I'd much rather see someone carry a puppy into a store than leave it in the car to die from the heat. To many people, their dogs, especially small lap dogs, are like their children. As long as the dog's not messing things up in the store or bothering the other customers, I just don't see the problem .
Seriously?

There are so many people who are afraid of dogs. There are so many people who are allergic to dogs. There is the simple fact that most sores prohibit pets. Your dog isn't your child, no matter how deluded you might be. Of course I don't advocate leaving your pet in a hot car, but very few of us live in a car.
QueenOfTheMeadow and swede like this.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#8 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:27 AM

It doesn't really bother me.
#9 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 AM

It is against state law in my state to bring a dog into Target or Trader Joe's unless it is an assistance dog. I know this because there is a push to get the law changed so that dogs can go to bars with owners. If it bothered me enough, I would mention this to the store manager and ask them to remove the dog. There are health codes they are supposed to follow. I would not want to shop anywhere there was a puddle of pee or pile of poop. The pet shop is one thing; you kind of expect it there. But, Target or Trader Joe's? Come on, that is too much. The dog and one owner can go wait outside or they can take the dog home.

I have a dog and have spent plenty of time in off leash parks but stores are a completely different thing.
#10 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
Have you seen the strollers they make for dogs, now? It is so ridiculous.
Um, yeah! I wear mine in the sling. Strollers are so detached. :

ETA: I don't think dogs belong in stores, either.
#11 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Um, yeah! I wear mine in the sling. Strollers are so detached.
exactly

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#12 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 AM

Damn, Pixie's over the weight limit for the Ergo. Maybe a frame backpack????
#13 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Um, yeah! I wear mine in the sling. Strollers are so detached. :

ETA: I don't think dogs belong in stores, either.
I was gonna say they have slings for them now!

Dogs in stores don't bother me, but it wouldn't bother me if they weren't allowed either because I don't think it's really appropriate in most places.
#14 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookClanMama View Post
My husband is extremely allergic to dog hair, so a dog (even in arms or in the shopping cart) can make him sneeze and have itchy skin for the rest of the day.

I agree that they should not be left in the car, but I guess I just don't see in the hot car, or in the store, as the only two options.
swede likes this.
#15 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Seriously?

There are so many people who are afraid of dogs. There are so many people who are allergic to dogs. There is the simple fact that most sores prohibit pets. Your dog isn't your child, no matter how deluded you might be. Of course I don't advocate leaving your pet in a hot car, but very few of us live in a car.
Snark much?

There are people who are afraid of a lot of things. There are people who are allergic to a lot of things, the shampoo I use in my hair, the detergent I use to wash my clothes, the list goes on & on. I don't typically plan my outings around what atrangers may or may not be afraid of or allergic to. I never said anything about taking dogs into stores that prohibit them. I never said that *my* dog is my child, & I am certainly not "deluded", thanks. I said that *some people* think of their dogs *LIKE* their children. More people live in cars than you might think, but that is another thread that has nothing to do with this one. For all the OP knows, they could have just come from buying the puppy & had to stop at the store to get it some food or something. We don't know the circumstances of that particular day.
Ahavati and Human4animals like this.
#16 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 AM

You laugh about the slings but they exist! We were at a fair recently and a lady had a little toy dog (referring to size not a real toy animal ) in a sling strapped to her front. The dog was forward facing with his little legs in a hole (one for each leg). It was kind of silly looking. The bad thinng was my first thought was, "She needs to adjust the straps and get that dog up higher..he's too low to the ground" :

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#17 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah View Post
My husband is extremely allergic to dog hair, so a dog (even in arms or in the shopping cart) can make him sneeze and have itchy skin for the rest of the day.

I agree that they should not be left in the car, but I guess I just don't see in the hot car, or in the store, as the only two options.
I don't see them as the only two options, either, I was just using the OP's post.
#18 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Seriously?

Other people's phobias are not my concern.

I have mixed feelings about the allergy argument. I understand it, on the one hand. On the other, my migraine-like headaches are constantly being triggered by perfume and cologne but when I argue that people shouldn't wear perfume in public, people think I am nuts. Also, service dogs can trigger people's allergies so what's the difference there?

People bring their dogs lots of places in Europe. I thought it was neat seeing dogs out.

Anyway, if the stores prohibit non-service animals than customers should respect that, but I don't think the phobia/allergy arguments hold that well. Many stores will be fined for violating health codes if they allow non-service animals and for that reason, I understand keeping them out.
#19 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:42 AM

Dogs are a major health code violation anywhere that serves food. Maybe each state's laws are different, though?

I was bit and almost killed by a dog I knew when I was a child, so I have a pretty strong fear of them to this day. I hate seeing dogs in retail outlets, and I'm pretty sure it's illegal any place that sells or prepares food.
QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.
#20 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:45 AM

I don't think it's fair just because small dogs are "fashionable" doesn't mean they should get to come into stores when larger dogs can not. That's the only thing that bothers me about it.
I saw a woman with a doggie "purse" that matched her shoes. Would have been cute with it's matching hairbow and all if the damn thing hadn't been yipping at me.
#21 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbigailsMomSarah View Post
I am so sick of seeing dogs when I go to the store. It seems like an almost daily occurance now.

We were at Trader Joes on Sunday and a family was shopping. The older son, maybe 12 or 13 years old, was holding the puppy while they all walked around the store. Now I am glad they didn't leave it out in the car...hot California sun and all, but really, couldn't they leave th dog at home, or leave one of the family members in the car with the air on to stay with the dog.

Dogs, or any animal for that matter, just don't belong in the market (other than service animals of course).

I've also seen dogs put in the seat part of carts and pushed around Target or other stores.

So, if you do this, can you please explain to me the rational behind it, I really just can't think of why this has become so common.
Don't come to Germany. Dogs are allowed everywhere.
#22 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:03 AM

I remember when I worked in retail I saw a dog (tied up outside, but got loose) come up to the motion censored doors and walk, run once they were inside, right in. I remember I had to get over the intercom and page a manager and let them know that there was a dog in the store.

Personally it doesn't bother me to see dogs in stores big or small, but I don't think that someone is bad for not liking it. I know a lot of people who truly treat their "pets" (the animals that they care for) as if they were children, so maybe that is why it doesn't bother me.
#23 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:11 AM

Really, I love dogs. I don't mind seeing them out and about. However, I do not want to put my toddler in the seat of a grocery cart (made for small humans, specifically) where a strange dog has just rested his anus/licked the cart handle/drooled/chewed on the seat straps. Call me a germophobe, but ew.

I also do not want to worry about the manners of strange dogs who are left to walk along at the same height as my toddler, at least in places where one does not normally expect dogs- like the produce section. At the park, on a walk, even at an outdoor cafe- sure. In those places you anticipate the possibility of dogs. The grocery store or the underwear department, not so much.

Service animals are not at all a legitimate comparison to the average family hound. They are specially-trained, highly focused animals. There is very little possibility that one will maul my child or pee in the cereal aisle. I don't know what your little Fifi might do. I have no idea if she is well-trained, has had her shots or if she bit the mailman yesterday.

I guess I just don't get the whole dog-as-human thing. My pets are a part of my family and we love them, but they don't have the same rights as humans and they don't get to go everywhere we go.
QueenOfTheMeadow likes this.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#24 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:14 AM

I have a coworker that brings her very small puppy to work with her a lot. Drives me up the wall. We work in a hotel, and I have to cover her slack whenever the puppy needs something. The dog's starting to get yippie. It doesn't look professional. If a guest come in that has allergies or a fear, it could make them not want to stay. I hate it. The pup is cute, but it is not the time nor the place to play with your pup!

I would not appreciate a dog where I buy food, or shoes, or clothes. A pet store or even a store like Home Depot I wouldn't care. Obviously, service dogs are different, but I don't need your fashion accersory yipping at me while I'm picking out produce, YKWIM?

Wife to D (12/03) and totally smitten Mama to DD (4/05) DS (2/09) and expecting DD#2  6/23/11
#25 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:22 AM

I saw a woman walking around a nice walking trail in town, pushing her little fluffy doggie in the stroller!!
I wouldn't have any issue with it except in food stores. I saw someone walking a dog around in the food store and let the cashier know. She was immediately on the phone to the supervisor and the dog was hustled out. I suspect that the food store could get in trouble if a health inspector came in.
#26 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:27 AM
Banned

The dog was in-arms and it bothered you? I can see a dog wandering around a store bothering you - DD is afraid of dogs that approach her so a dog coming up to her when the owners aren't paying attention would send her into hysterics. But a dog simply being held? That I don't get at all.

As for the allergy thing, my nephew is extremely allergic to peanuts so even airborne peanuts cause an issue. Today we had to leave a water area in the zoo because someone thoughtlessly gave their child peanut butter crackers to eat. So if we are going to ban dogs, I propose that we ban peanuts too.
#27 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 AM

I don't like dogs in clothing stores or grocery stores/inside restaurants. I don't have a problem with them at outdoor cafes at all.

I used to work at Nordstrom in the lingerie dept. A woman once came in with her very small, very fluffy dog, and set him right on the ocunter where we ring things up. No dogs were allowed in the store, save service animals, but there is the "customer is always right" policy to the hilt at that store. So no one said anything.

After she paid and left, the next customer was visibly irritated and did not want her underthings to be set on the same counter as the little dog anus and the hair he had shed. I can't say I blame her, because I felt the same way. I took her to another department and rang her up there.

Then I had to go clean up the dog hair.

Yuck.

I love animals, but there are some places they do not belong.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#28 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviesingleton View Post
Other people's phobias are not my concern.

I have mixed feelings about the allergy argument. I understand it, on the one hand. On the other, my migraine-like headaches are constantly being triggered by perfume and cologne but when I argue that people shouldn't wear perfume in public, people think I am nuts. Also, service dogs can trigger people's allergies so what's the difference there?
:

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#29 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 AM

Someone is always complaining about something.
mamarhu likes this.
#30 of 318 Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 AM

This is kind of a funny thread to me. It reminds me of some people I've heard talking about children.:
I don't take my ds to Nordstrom because he might wipe a booger on the counter. Ok, not really, (I hope to God he's out grown that) but do you see what I mean?
I don't mind well behaved dogs really anywhere, just a personal opinion. Aside from eating the occasional cat turd, my dog is probably less gross than my kids can be. On second thought, I've never had to de-worm or de-flea the kids so maybe I'm wrong.:
This reminds me of something weird I saw the other day. There was a woman in Target with this small, fuzzy, long haired dog in her cart riding in the basket. Adorable and very well behaved. It had on a service dog vest. And, I kid you not, the dog was blue. I had to look at it for awhile (and try not to be obvious, it's rude to stare) to see it move. I thought it was a stuffed animal at first. This woman appeared to be able bodied and I still can't figure out what kind of service dog it was. Can someone enlighten me here? I wish I would have asked her, but that might not have been appropriate and I hate to make people uncomfortable or be rude. (Like I'm being rude asking this question is someone else's thread. Please forgive me, this has been bugging me and I had to ask.)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page