Termination (Anonymous Poll) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Have you ever terminated a pregnancy?
Yes due to health risks to me 3 25.00%
Yes due to rape/incest 2 16.67%
Yes due to pressure from outside sources 24 100.00%
Yes due to the fetus having medical problems 5 41.67%
Yes, selective reduction due to too many fetuses 1 8.33%
Yes due to not being financially ready for a child 52 100.00%
Yes due to not being emotionally ready for a child 70 100.00%
Yes due to not being in a stable relationship with the father 46 100.00%
Other 13 100.00%
No, I've never terminated a pregnancy 333 100.00%
I'm pro-choice 253 100.00%
I'm pro-life 117 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I included the MAP because it's more like an afterthought BC. Yes, sometimes it's because birth control fails, but I included it anyways.
#62 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 PM

NO, I have never had an abortion. I never would either. I am 100% Pro-Life.
swede likes this.

knit.gifMama to reading.gif  and  babygirl.gif
#63 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 10:29 PM

Due to medical (if I kept this pregnancy I would be on bed rest all 9 months, and most likely lose custody of my son) financial (Ds has health issues that are extrememly expensive to deal with) and personal (I am single, and not ready for another baby) reasons I am terminating my current pregnancy on Friday.

I am pro-choice, but not pro-abortion. But the fact that women's right to choose is even up for debate disgusts me.
#64 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post
The way hormonal/chemical birth control works (when it fails to stop ovulation which is sometimes to always depening on which prouct you use) is that is changes the lining of the uterus to be hostile to life. keeping the embryo from implanting and causing the newly concieved baby to die and be flushed out during menstrtion. at this point is has been alive for about a week give or take. if you believe life begins at conception this is an abortion. The baby is dying because of actions the mother took to intentionally eliminate it.
What? I think you are confusing the pill for the IUD.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#65 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 10:46 PM

Well, I answered before I saw that the MAP would be considered abortion. I don't consider it to be so, so I stand by my answer of 'no terminations, pro-choice'. I also have an IUD, and I don't consider that an abortion, either.
#66 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM

I am pro-choice. I have never had an abortion.

Although, if DS hadn't survived when he was born, I guess that could be technically considered an abortion. I had never thought of it that way before...
I had a c-section at 30 weeks due to severe Pre-E/HELLP.
#67 of 109 Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 PM

No, but I've only been pg 2x and both times were planned and wanted.
#68 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 02:26 AM

I voted no, but I've taken the morning after pill - sorry, but I just don't consider it terminating a pregnancy, no matter how many ways I look at it.

I'm pro-choice, in case anyone didn't know.
#69 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 02:28 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckemom View Post
Due to medical (if I kept this pregnancy I would be on bed rest all 9 months, and most likely lose custody of my son) financial (Ds has health issues that are extrememly expensive to deal with) and personal (I am single, and not ready for another baby) reasons I am terminating my current pregnancy on Friday.

I am pro-choice, but not pro-abortion. But the fact that women's right to choose is even up for debate disgusts me.
I'll be thinking about you.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#70 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 02:36 AM

I picked three choices: not being financially ready, emotionally ready and not being in a stable relationship w/ the father. (All for the same abortion, not three separate.) Well, almost five years later I am married to the father, but I am still happy with what I chose for myself and my family. (Saying I am happy does not mean I didn't struggle with the decision, it was hard even though I believe it was the best option.)

There is a great website called I'm not sorry for stories of women who feel their choice was the best choice for them.
babymama_nursing likes this.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#71 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 AM

The thought of MAPs and IUDs being considered as "abortions" is just mind-blowingly screwed-up to me.
#72 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 04:16 AM

I voted that I have not terminated a pregnancy and that I am pro-life.
#73 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM

Never had an abortion, don't think I ever could have one unless it was for health reasons (or the baby had some condition that meant it couldn't survive, e.g. anecephaly). But I'm pro-choice. I think the law's a lousy way of dealing with the problem.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#74 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM

I guess I am about 99% pro-life. I would terminate for health reasons - like if I was going to die if the pregnancy continued, not to avoid raising a child with birth defects. Defects incompatible with life I'm not so sure about, because I have not been in that situation so I don't know what the pros and cons are on letting nature take its course. In any case I would be very picky about what kind of procedure I received. If the child has to be removed, that is one thing, but I would never consent to having its body torn apart, its skull crushed, or anything like that. Not even to save my own life, even given that I already have a born child to think about. There is a world of difference between just removing the child and doing violence to it.

I personally would never again use "abortifacient" birth control (although I was on the pill earlier in life, before I understood the issues involved) or MAP, but I would never want to stop other women from doing it either. It's just too private, and there's no violence involved. I think it's best if people who really feel the need to end their pregnancies are able to do it as early as possible, to avoid the situation where the child is developed to the point where they have to destroy it with sharp instruments in order to end the pregnancy. And I think it's repressive to tell people what medicines they can and can't take.
#75 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 11:39 AM

No I have not, never even been pregnant.

However I was lucky enough to know that even if I did get pregnant at a young age and wasn't emotionally or financially ready that my family would be very supportive. My parents got pregnant with my twin sisters when they were 15 and 17. My dad was married with two kids before he got his drivers license in the mail. They were very open about how they never thought they would be in position they were but it happened. Also made a point of telling us as children that they do understand what its like and we should never be afraid to tell them if we were pregnant. I realize not all families would be or are financially able to help out in this way.
#76 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 PM

I have terminated a pregnancy, I do not regret it, and I am pro choice.
#77 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intorainbowz View Post
I used to be pro-choice, then I saw the 5 week embryo with a heartbeat. Hearing that sound changed my POV.
That, After seeing my sons heart beat before most women even know they are preg (about 5 1/2 weeks.). I think abortion is killing a innocent life. I am pro-life.

Laura wife to Chris proud mommy to our lil monkey (c-section 6-10-06), our other lil monkey (HBAC 3-08-09) Our next and last son (due by HBAC mid July 2011) and our angel (10-03-04). My middle son has many severe food allergies.

#78 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Well, for me, this is kind of a confusing answer, and it might be long. FWIW, I am now 100% pro-life except for in the cases of severe birth defects incompatible with life (even then for myself I would probably choose to be induced if it was possible instead of having an abortion, if I was further along in the pregnancy), or if the mother's health was such that carrying the pregnancy to term would either severly incapacitate or kill her.

I have never terminated a pregnancy, although I came very close with dd#2.
I had dd#1 when I was 18 years old and it was pretty hard for me, but very rewarding. I knew instantly that I would keep her and there was no question that adoption was not an option for me at all. Dd#1 was somewhat planned as well. With dd#2, I was NOT in any position financially to have another child, her father was unstable emotionally and was a drug user/dealer, and I had just got my body back to being in a shape I liked, which was important to my then 20-year-old selfish mind. She was NOT in any way, shape or form planned, and all I could think about was having an abortion. I struggled with it for awhile, but eventually my beliefs won out after going as far to make an appointment for a termination. It was everything about the abortion procedure that turned me away (besides my personal beliefs): the pictures of abortions that I had seen, the coldness of the clinic, the sad faces there, the pain of the procedure itself, the feeling that I had no right to choose which of my children lived and which died. I couldn't do it. I walked out. It was the best decision for me, and I do not regret it at all.

Now, my beliefs are all mine, and I would never force them on anyone else. I don't think the government has any business telling a woman what she can do with her body. The ramifications of such legislation would go far beyond any of our wildest dreams. To have or not to have an abortion is a very personal and private decision, and one that is best left to the individual. No person is above another, no one has any right to dictate another's beliefs.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#79 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Being pregnant, giving birth, and raising children has made me more pro choice than ever.

nora-not a llama- I heart you. :

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#80 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM

I voted no, but my situation is a bit odd. I was pregnant at 19, and decided to place the baby up for adoption. I don't regret the decision (and now that she is almost 21, I'm going to try and do a search). However, just a few months after she was born, I found out I was pregnant again. (I was a bit of a wild child at college). I wasn't sure if I was ready to go through another pregnancy and adoption, so I don't know what I was going to do, then I ended up with an early miscarriage (at about 6-8 weeks).
The next time I was pregnant was 18 years later, resulting in ds, and now we are thinking of ttc-ing again. I don't know if I'm either pro-choice or pro-life. I don't like the idea of abortion very much, but I don't think it should be illegal. I guess I'm a safe, legal and rare kind of girl.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
#81 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 02:11 PM

Pro-choice - never terminated, but I've never been in a situation where that appeared to be my best option, either.
#82 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 04:25 PM

I'm 100% pro-life for myself and pro-choice for everyone else. I don't believe that anyone has the right to tell another person what to do with their body. For myself, I believe that everything happens for a reason and I would never terminate. No matter what.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#83 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Other.

I've been pregnant 11 times. Four losses, 7 births, 8 children.

With my sixth, I considered aborting. I was not planning a pregnancy, did not want to be pregnant. I did not want another child. I ended up continuing the pregnancy.

I had twins after that. Very planned, very wanted. Had I gotten pregnant after them, i would have aborted without any hesitation. I'm done. I do not want any more children.

I've had a partial hysterectomy so no worries now.

Extemely pro-choice here.

:
#84 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 05:05 PM

Crap...I voted wrong. I checked "Never terminated a pregnancy."

But, I took a morning after pill once, in 2000. I realized I had mucked up my BCP schedule right after DH (just barely married, but together for 6 yrs) and I had sex. We got the morning after pill to be on the safe side. We had no money and were just NOT ready for a child at that time.

I am staunchly pro-choice.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#85 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky5306 View Post
Nope never have and never plan to.. I am pro-choice AND pro-life.. life is MY choice but only *I* can make MY choice just as only YOU can make yours.
This about sums up my thoughts except I would say I am NEITHER Pro-Choice nor Pro-Life. Both are political movements that take stances I do not agree with.

I carried a baby boy to term and placed him for adoption when I was in college. My family would have supported me in any decision I made but would have been understandably heart-broken if I had terminated. I actually lived on campus when the baby was born.

Then (a year or so later-same college) one of my good friends got pregnant and terminated. She was in a long-term relationship and her mom had a "Pro-Life" bumper sticker on her car. She got pressure from all sides that abortion was the only acceptable option and she would not be supported in any other decision.

I feel great sympathy for anyone in that type of situation and I always *hope* that they are able to give adoption a chance. And, I hate when people (like my late grandmother) vote and campaign on the single issue of pro-life. I just know there are so many hypocrites out there like my friend's mother.

#86 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 05:48 PM

I forgot to put that I'm pro-choice.
#87 of 109 Old 07-12-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
nora-not a llama- I heart you. :
Wow. : Thank you.
#88 of 109 Old 07-13-2007, 03:53 PM

I've had two abortions, both between the birth of my oldest (planned) son and my second (planned) child's conception. Contraception failed and I was not ready, emotionally or physically, for a second child, and I did not want my son (under 2 at the time) to be deprived of breastmilk. It was not a hard decision and I do not regret it. I would abort again if my birth control failed and I was not ready for another child-- thankfully, the IUD is a lot more effective than non-latex condoms.
I am 100% pro-choice.
#89 of 109 Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 PM

I'm pro-choice, but I unexpectedly became pregnant, I just couldn't an abortion.
#90 of 109 Old 07-15-2007, 05:17 AM

no, never have.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page