Termination (Anonymous Poll) - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Have you ever terminated a pregnancy?
Yes due to health risks to me 3 25.00%
Yes due to rape/incest 2 16.67%
Yes due to pressure from outside sources 24 100.00%
Yes due to the fetus having medical problems 5 41.67%
Yes, selective reduction due to too many fetuses 1 8.33%
Yes due to not being financially ready for a child 52 100.00%
Yes due to not being emotionally ready for a child 70 100.00%
Yes due to not being in a stable relationship with the father 46 100.00%
Other 13 100.00%
No, I've never terminated a pregnancy 333 100.00%
I'm pro-choice 253 100.00%
I'm pro-life 117 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 109 Old 07-01-2007, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you ever terminated a pregnancy? You don't have to actually converse in this poll if you're not comfortable, but if you feel like sharing your story, this thread is for support only.

BTW... the "morning after pill" would be considered terminating a pregnancy, for poll purposes.
#2 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 07:40 PM

Yes, but I'm not sure if any of those reasons fit exactly. I was a teenager. I wasn't going to stay with the father. I wasn't interested in babies whatsoever and didn't even consider having one until 16 years later.

It's inaccurate to say that I wasn't emotionally ready. I was emotionally mature enough to live on my own, run my own life, and all of that. I just didn't want to be a mother, neither single nor with that guy. I wanted to live a completely different life than the one that I would have lived if I had kept that pregnancy and never been able to have the daughter that I do have now.

I had the abortion at 5 weeks and have always been very thankful for that. If it had been illegal in the U.S., I would have flown to Canada or Europe. As it was, I had to skip two days of high school, drive to another state and pay what amounted to more than a month's pay to have the procedure. I would have done whatever it took to have that abortion.
#3 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM

Yes, twice. Once because I was young, in the military, and the guy involved was really a totally irresponsible loser-- he even forgot to drive me to the clinic because he stayed out getting drunk with his OTHER girlfriend the night before the procedure. :

Not someone I wanted to be hog-tied to for 18 years.

I was like Ruby; I would have put myself in thousands of dollars of debt to buy an international plane ticket if I had to. I did have to take two days off work and drive across the state, which was bad enough.

The second time was with a baby I really wanted. I was 21 weeks along, and she had severe genetic anomalies incompatible with life. I was induced early, labored, delivered, and said goodbye with as much dignity as possible.

I am pro-choice, and I regret neither decision.
#4 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:00 PM

No way, no how...I would not terminate under ANY circumstances.
3lilchunklins likes this.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#5 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:37 PM

I answered before I read. I have not had an abortion and would never. I have taken the morning after pill (would not, at this point, as my beliefs have changed).

BUT - if that is "termination", then so is using any hormonal birth control or IUD...Were you meaning the "abortion pill" which is taken after pregnancy is confirmed? Or is there some other reason you wanted to include contraception in "termination"?
#6 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_work_in_progress View Post
BTW... the "morning after pill" would be considered terminating a pregnancy, for poll purposes.
hmmm. . .I've neither terminated a pregnancy nor taken the MAP, but I would not consider the MAP a pregnancy termination. I'm curious as to why you included it as one and the same.
#7 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 PM

No, I have not terminated a pregnancy. I am pro-life.

But if my doctor walked up to me and said "If you continue with this pregnancy there is a 100% (even anything above 60-70%) it will kill you. That is your only option." I'd 1st, get a 2nd and possibly 3rd, 4th opinion and if nothing changed, yes I would terminate the pregnancy (or any future pregnancies). I have a 2 year old son that I cannot leave without a mother. That would be my ONLY reason.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#8 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:46 PM

Nope never have and never plan to.. I am pro-choice AND pro-life.. life is MY choice but only *I* can make MY choice just as only YOU can make yours.

I DO *NOT* think the morning after pill is the same as terminating.. It's more on par with the HBCP IMO

~Jaclyn~ Mama to Lucas Wyatt born 5-3-06
#9 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 PM

I'm pro choice. I've never terminated a pregnancy. Lesbianism is very convenient.
#10 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM

I used to be pro-choice, until I had my kids, and once I saw what came of the pregnancies, I had a really hard time with the concept of abortion. I guess you could call me pro-life now, but I don't really think that making abortion illegal would be helpful or successful, and I could never judge or demonize a woman who has had one. I'm still developing my opinion on this.
Jefinner likes this.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#11 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM

It's funny, coz I've never been *more* pro-choice than since my daughter was born and I see exactly how hard it really is. If I was not 100% into this mothering gig, it would feel like a horrible trap.
#12 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:04 PM

No, I haven't. I don't think I ever would...ten years spent trying desperately to have my second baby would make terminating a pregnancy feel much too wrong to me.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#13 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Banned

Would it be hypocrital to say I am personally pro-life due to my beliefs and values and would not terminate (except to save my life for reasons stated by pp) but defend the right of someone with different beliefs and values to choose based on what they think right for them? To me it is not a pro-life or pro-choice thing. It is far too personal for me to push my beliefs on another woman in such a life altering situation. I know what I think but that does not mean it is what everyone should think and vise versa.
#14 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM

yes, it was absolutely the right thing to do and i have ZERO regrets. in fact, i was completely relieved when it was over. and it was while married.

i used to be very pro-life, even did reports on it in school and whatnot. eventually i became pro-choice, but it wasn't a choice i wanted to make, and i carried an unplanned pg to term because i couldn't even think about having an abortion. but when this happened, i didn't even have to think about it, i knew what i had to do.

and i want to say that not a single person (both men and women) that i saw in the waiting room was anything but devastated to be there. the idea that people take abortion lightly is just craziness.
#15 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
It's funny, coz I've never been *more* pro-choice than since my daughter was born and I see exactly how hard it really is. If I was not 100% into this mothering gig, it would feel like a horrible trap.
I totally agree.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#16 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshollyk View Post

and i want to say that not a single person (both men and women) that i saw in the waiting room was anything but devastated to be there. the idea that people take abortion lightly is just craziness.
:
100% pro-choice here. What if there were multiple choices that are accurate?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#17 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshollyk View Post
It's not a difficult decision for some of us. I wasn't devastated to be there. My birth control failed. I had an abortion. I made sure that never happened again, but it didn't feel like there was anything to be devastated about, unlike actually carrying the pregnancy to term would have been devastating. The abortion was a relief.

If people think it's murder, then I suppose it would be devastating for them. I didn't see it that way at all. I was 5 weeks pregnant. I saw everything that came out of my uterus and I feel comfortable with all of it because no one suffered, but there would have been a lot of suffering if I'd been forced to remain pregnant.
#18 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Never had to, been very lucky. I'm pro-choice though, and I would consider termination under certain dire circumstances.
#19 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
i think the same thing my uber-conservative VERY pro-life friend kept telling me i'd change my mind once i had kids, but i am like you i am MORE pro-choice now than ever!
#20 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM

I took the morning after pill twice:

Once was the first time my boyfriend and I had sex: the condom broke. I was 13. Definitely NOT ready.

I can't remember the second time exactly, but I know it was during high school. If I recall correctly, he stayed in for too long after the deed, and the condom slipped.

I never had an abortion, eventhough many people advised me to: I was 19 when I had my first dd. I am really glad abortion was an option, because I really chose to have her.

I am 100% pro-choice.
#21 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 10:39 PM

I am pro-choice. I have never had an abortion. I have used MAP twice due to birth control failure, but I do not consider that to be an abortion any more than any other birth control method (like HBC, IUD, etc.). I am not sure why MAP was included as an "abortion" method, unless there was a confuson about MAP vs. RU-486 (chemical abortion done once pregnancy is confirmed).

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
#22 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
:

Motherhood has made me more pro-choice than ever.

I too am confused by the idea that MAP is considered an abortion. I have taken MAP more than once but don't consider myself to have had an abortion.
#23 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild View Post
It's not a difficult decision for some of us. I wasn't devastated to be there. My birth control failed. I had an abortion. I made sure that never happened again, but it didn't feel like there was anything to be devastated about, unlike actually carrying the pregnancy to term would have been devastating. The abortion was a relief.

If people think it's murder, then I suppose it would be devastating for them. I didn't see it that way at all. I was 5 weeks pregnant. I saw everything that came out of my uterus and I feel comfortable with all of it because no one suffered, but there would have been a lot of suffering if I'd been forced to remain pregnant.
Yep. I took a friend for an abortion, and it wasn't difficult for her at all, and itw ouldn't have been for me at the time at all.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#24 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Yes, due to health risks to me, not being financially or emotionally ready, and not being in a stable relationship with the father. I am, and have always been, pro-choice. It was the best choice for me (the other choice being suicide.) I felt relief. My only regret is getting pregnant in the first place.
If I get pregnant again, I'll have another abortion. Two kids is my limit. I can't handle more.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#25 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
Yep. I took a friend for an abortion, and it wasn't difficult for her at all, and itw ouldn't have been for me at the time at all.
I have heard this and have great respect for it.

It is not the case for me. I would feel I was ending a life, that is what I believe to be true. However, I feel perfectly comfortable with women having this power, as we are the bringers of life. With great responsibility must come great power, including the power to elect to keep or terminate a pregnancy.
#26 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM

never mind.
#27 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
I have heard this and have great respect for it.

It is not the case for me. I would feel I was ending a life, that is what I believe to be true. However, I feel perfectly comfortable with women having this power, as we are the bringers of life. With great responsibility must come great power, including the power to elect to keep or terminate a pregnancy.
Everyone is different. But from my experiences, everyone still thinks about it years later and it affects you in some way. Maybe it depends on *why* you had one. Most people I know it was not because of financial/lifestyle reasons.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#28 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadean View Post
I have used MAP twice due to birth control failure, but I do not consider that to be an abortion any more than any other birth control method (like HBC, IUD, etc.). I am not sure why MAP was included as an "abortion" method, unless there was a confuson about MAP vs. RU-486 (chemical abotion done once pregnancy is confirmed).
Probably because some people believe that life begins at conception. Therefore, anything that stops the pregnacy from continuing after conception would be the ending of a life. Most BC methods work by preventing conception. There are women who are not comfortable using IUD's because in rare cases when the fertilization does occurs the IUD prevents implantation.

''''

#29 of 109 Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_work_in_progress View Post
See, I don't consider this a termination. You take a morning after pill within 72 hours of having sex...........you have NO IDEA at that point if a conception has actually occurred, and it's just a high-dose birth control pill. So, are people on birth control constantly terminating, then?

The morning after pill (usually named Plan B) is completely different from the abortion pill (usually named RU486.)

I've taken the morning after pill. I've never terminated a confirmed pregnancy, though. So I voted "no." Perhaps MAP could be a separate option in the poll.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#30 of 109 Old 07-03-2007, 12:15 AM

Pro-life, never had an abortion.

FWIW, I was not ready - financially or emotionally - to be a (single) mother. I grew up a LOT during my pgy - and I cherish my son for the fact that having him made me a much better, more mature, less selfish, person. I am grateful that he made me a mother.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page