I need new make-up, Help! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 49 Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I looked up some of the ingredients and found that same cite through google aslo - thanks for the info though.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 07-24-2007, 11:42 PM

MAC
MAC
MAC

They are the best. BEST colors of any company. I've known several people who worked for them and they are a good company to work for, too. Not true of many other dept store companies.

Also, for every 6 empty MAC containers (any product) you return to them for recycling, you get a free lipstick.

I also like their Viva Glam campaign. All sales from the Viva Glam lipstick goes to AIDS research.
#33 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 AM

Another MAC lover here. They may not be all natural, but they are good at what they do.

love.gif

#34 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 AM

The Body Shop was bought out by L'Oreal a year or so ago. They probably still don't test on animals, but I don't think that the Body Shop ever touted that their make up was "all natural." They were more into recycling, non-advertising, less flashy packaging in order to pass on savings to consumers. And their products did use some nice natural ingredients, but it wasn't completely natural.

I got the BEST makeover ever at MAC. I was seriously vain for the rest of the day trying to catch glimpses of myself in every single department store mirror! I just looked so dang good until I washed it off!

Unfortunately, the OP is going to drop some money no matter what department store line she chooses.

In the future, and with a little more time ahead, I would also suggest a mineral makeup line. Mineral makeup, since it doesn't have or need preservatives, is supposed to last forever, although even those companies suggest replenishing your supply once a year at minimum. I love mineral makeup - I'm a recent convert!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#35 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 11:51 AM

Disclaimer: I am a Mary Kay independent beauty consultant.

Having said that, the reason I joined the company is because I love, love, LOVE the products. Both the skin care and the makeup are fantastic.

To the OP, you can go to marykay.com and do a virtual makeover entering your stats and it will tell you the best colors for your face shape, eyes, etc. You can then find a consultant who SHOULD be able to let you try the look out before you buy. No high-pressure sales tactics, just an enjoyable pamper session for you. You can find a consultant right off of the marykay.com site.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me: [email protected]. That goes for anyone who has questions about skin care, color questions, makeup application tips, etc. I love to help.

Candy, Mom to Matthew (5/02) and Ethan (10/07)

Trying for #3 starting 5/13

#36 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 12:09 PM

Agreed that MAC has lovely colors. I like Nars as well, and Benefit.

Bobbi Brown has great products and a more natural feel than the above brands, which tend towards trendy.

The absolute best makeup artist I ever had was at Neiman Marcus at the YSL counter. I'll say that I've had better luck by going straight to saleswomen who have their makeup done in a way similar to the way I'd wear mine...however, just because the woman at MAC has a fantastically over-the-top trendy look, that doesn't necessarily mean she can't help you find a muted, natural look.

'Cause, seriously, if I had all that makeup to play with? You bet I'd take advantage.

DS born 4 May 2013.
#37 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 12:37 PM

I love MAC and NARS. I also suggest you check out makeupalley.com As it's been said, they are a great wealth of information and the reviews really help me a lot when choosing.
#38 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 01:48 PM

I use both MAC, Chanel, and BeneFit.

I agree w/ a pp that MAC can definitely be used for a more natural look. I had my makeup done by them one time and spent the whole entire day looking at myself. They also tell you how exactly to apply things so you can replicated the best look for yourself.

Chanel I only use for their lip gloss and mascara because they are a litle pricey and to be honest I can't spend $36 on lip gloss to often.

BeneFit is great and all their makeup gives me a nice glow. Most sale associates I've met are also really generous when it comes to letting you try things. If you go with BeneFit I reccomend their Calfornia Kisses lip gloss, it has a blue tint in the tube which when it goes on makes teeth look really white.
#39 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Banned

Ah, I forgot Nars! They make the BEST blushes..I have two of them. They are SO pigmented they last and last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGirlfriend View Post
Agreed that MAC has lovely colors. I like Nars as well, and Benefit.

Bobbi Brown has great products and a more natural feel than the above brands, which tend towards trendy.

The absolute best makeup artist I ever had was at Neiman Marcus at the YSL counter. I'll say that I've had better luck by going straight to saleswomen who have their makeup done in a way similar to the way I'd wear mine...however, just because the woman at MAC has a fantastically over-the-top trendy look, that doesn't necessarily mean she can't help you find a muted, natural look.

'Cause, seriously, if I had all that makeup to play with? You bet I'd take advantage.
#40 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 04:53 PM

For experimenting and needing something quick, I like the cheapo brands at drugstores and Target and such. Brands like
http://www.eyeslipsface.com/default.asp
http://www.newyorkcolor.com/
are fun and cheap and easy to try a bunch of different things.

I especially love the ELF (above) because everything is $1. For $10 you can try all kinds of things!

Not crunchy, I know. But I'm cool with that!
#41 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 05:01 PM

MAC. Of course, they're also insanely expensive, and I don't know whether or not they test on animals. But then, I only get made over at department stores when I'm in Chicago, and that's once every couple of years!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#42 of 49 Old 07-25-2007, 05:13 PM

Right now I use a mix of MAC, Everyday Minerals, Clinique, Origins, and Lancome, depending on what I'm wearing that day. For mascara, I always buy it at the drugstore, because I've used just about every brand of mascara out there, and I've never been able to tell the difference, so I just buy cheap.

In my experience, I've never found one line that has everything I want, so I usually mix and match and that works well for me.
#43 of 49 Old 07-26-2007, 12:02 AM

I have to vote for Clinique too!

I scheme for months about what I will buy during bonus week!
#44 of 49 Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 AM

Do you have any girlfriends that can help you out? Try on some of their stuff and then buy what works...they can give you their opinions on what looks good. I buy my stuff at Sephora or a drug store mostly. (Sephora will help you out alot) Usually a brown eyeliner, mascara and a tinted moisturizer is enough to get a polished, "dressed up" natural look.

Mama to A born 8/7/99
#45 of 49 Old 07-26-2007, 03:28 AM

For foundation and blush, I love Laura Mercier. You can find it at Nordstrom and some Macy's stores. I have very fair skin and everything turns orangey-yellow on me except LM. I also have dark circles a lot and the LM Secret Concealer is the best I have ever used, and I have tried *everything*! For blush, I love Chanel--a little pricey, but it lasts forever. And Lancome for mascara.
#46 of 49 Old 07-31-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
I have to say I have never bought makeup at a department store. I buy from everydayminerals.com
But I felt sad for your thread with no replies, so I'm bumping it up.
Hey! I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I ordered I think the day you posted this, and got it yesterday. I LOVE the make-up so far. LOVE it! I got the free foundation samples, plus spent another $50 on brushes and some other make up, mostly eye colors. I love it so much, I think I'm going to order a big thing of foundation (It's kinda hard to work w/ the mini containers) and some more eye colors! LOVE it! I'd never used powder foundation, etc, but it feels so much better than the regular liquid crap. And it didn't take me long to figure out how to use everything.

Best of all, this make-up is fairly inexpensive. The small eye colors are only $2.50 each and they'll last a long long time. I got a whole set of their brushes and was worried b/c the expnse adds up when you get a bunch, but the brushes are good quality and well worth the money. I love my kabuki and foundation brushes especially. OK, I'm going to shut up now b/c this is starting to sound like a commercial. I honestly never heard of this company before reading the post I'm quoting. LOL!

by the way, if anyone wants these, I have 2 free samples of the foundation in fair and fair natural. The sandy fair is my shade. I also have auburn brow color and peach lip color. The brow color is too dark for me, and the peach is not a good color for me, I need something redder. If anyone wants any of these, just let me know and I'll mail them for free. Actually I'm going to see if my neighbor wants the lip color. It might work on her.

Oh, and with my order, they gave me 2 free full-size eye colors. I think they were discontinued colors, b/c they're not listed on the site. Wasn't that nice of them? I only ordered trial size stuff, and they gave me free full size stuff.
#47 of 49 Old 07-31-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Hey! I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. I ordered I think the day you posted this, and got it yesterday. I LOVE the make-up so far. LOVE it! I got the free foundation samples, plus spent another $50 on brushes and some other make up, mostly eye colors...
Oh, I will join you in your commercial. I love it that you don't feel cakey when wearing it, it feels like nothing's on. If you do order the foundation, it lasts FOREVER, seriously I got 2 containers of it (one in my summer skin tone and one in my winter skin tone) and I think that was 9 or 10 months ago and I haven't used half of it. It is so affordable, never goes bad, and doesn't feel like you have anything on. I completely love it.
#48 of 49 Old 07-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Only problem is they don't sell mascara. I need mascara. I have dark hair and blond eyelashes. Not a good combination. I've been using Almay, and it's ok. What do you use? I have really sensitive skin/eyes, so I have a hard time finding stuff that doesn't irritate me.
#49 of 49 Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1221 View Post
Only problem is they don't sell mascara. I need mascara. I have dark hair and blond eyelashes. Not a good combination. I've been using Almay, and it's ok. What do you use? I have really sensitive skin/eyes, so I have a hard time finding stuff that doesn't irritate me.
I had a hard time with Mascara too because it would always rub off under my eyes and wouldn't wash off easily. Recently I bought Neutrogena Wax-free mascara and I'm really happy with it, because it's not as gooey as the others but washes off easily.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page