I'm not sure what I think 28 12.12%
Other (please explain!) 9 3.90%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Then where do people get ideas like that? Really. Where?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
I don't think our government is competent enough to pull off a conspiracy like that.

Ditto.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingo82 View Post
I don't think our government is competent enough to pull off a conspiracy like that.
I was being sarcastic.

Put more accurately, I was using an attempt at humor to blow off steam from my annoyance/anger that symptoms of exposure to toxins (from vaxes, from pesticides, from medicine, from leaching plastics, you name it) are blown off as being just another gift from God. :
Old 08-08-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I was being sarcastic.

Put more accurately, I was using an attempt at humor to blow off steam from my annoyance/anger that symptoms of exposure to toxins (from vaxes, from pesticides, from medicine, from leaching plastics, you name it) are blown off as being just another gift from God. :
"My child is Indigo and Special" is easier to take than "My child may be damaged by toxins" I guess.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mara View Post
Then where do people get ideas like that? Really. Where?
As far as I know, from time immemorial, we humans have used our thoughts, feelings, senses, imaginations, souls (?), etc. to come up with ways to define the undefineable and to answer questions which appear unanswerable. To me that is the definition of spirituality. I personally choose to ponder such questions from a philosophical standpoint rather than a spiritual or even scientific one. But the quest to discover, explain and answer is a universal goal for all of us. In my mind, 'new age' spirituality including the Indigo concept serves exactly the same basic purpose as the catholic belief system or any other spiritual, philosphical, mathamatical, or scientific system of beliefs.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajama View Post
As far as I know, from time immemorial, we humans have used our thoughts, feelings, senses, imaginations, souls (?), etc. to come up with ways to define the undefineable and to answer questions which appear unanswerable. To me that is the definition of spirituality. I personally choose to ponder such questions from a philosophical standpoint rather than a spiritual or even scientific one. But the quest to discover, explain and answer is a universal goal for all of us. In my mind, 'new age' spirituality including the Indigo concept serves exactly the same basic purpose as the catholic belief system or any other spiritual, philosphical, mathamatical, or scientific system of beliefs.
Well, that is certainly true. It is the same as a religious/spiritual belief system. I think science and math would certainly be in a different category. All are designed for us to try to make sense of our world, but math and science are studying actual tangible/observable concepts while the other ones *warning- unsensitive word coming* are make-believe.

I just am surprised in this day and age people can still come up with this weird stuff. About aliens breeding animals and people for entertainment 45 thousand years ago, stuff like that, and the DNA stuff explaining how autism and add are from those animal/human breeding expiraments. I can understand 5000 years ago people telling stories to explain the world, but with the scientific knowledge we have today? What is the need for that kind of story telling? Especially how it clearly distracts people from real things. Why ignore a medical diagnosis and instead treat it like a karmic punishment for stuff aliens did with DNA in the past? What is the good in that? I really don't understand. It makes me a little sad. But they have a right to believe it, apparently it makes people happy so I shouldn't even worry about it. But it seems so weird and sad.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choli View Post
"My child is Indigo and Special" is easier to take than "My child may be damaged by toxins" I guess.
Absolutely.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Has anyone who is interested in this concept read Darwin's Radio? (fiction) It's about the next step in human evolution. If you're intrigued by the indigo/crystal/whatever child idea, you'd probably really like this book (and its sequels)
Old 08-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Evolutionary advances are not typically noticable except in retrospect because they take tens of thousands of years to occur.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:24 PM

c'mon BSD, it's fiction.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. I believe it is easier for mainstream society to view people who are different as being "damaged" than to recognize each person as a unique individual manifestation of human diversity. Say what you will about the indigo child movement, but they are certainly going against the popular paradigm.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Yeah, and it certainly deflects responsibility/accountability from the polluters.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
Yeah, and it certainly deflects responsibility/accountability from the polluters.
Yes, most definitely.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Evolutionary advances are not typically noticable except in retrospect because they take tens of thousands of years to occur.
And even then I'm not sure they're always noticable. Dh has an *awful* lot of back hair.....

Old 08-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Even though I am a parent of an autistic child, I would never make a statement that would assume all special needs parents feel a certain way. You might not want to be so presumptiuos of a whole group of people. There are many who do not buy into the idea that their children are damaged or broken, regardless of how their children became the way they are.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 PM

I voted "other" because my Mom finds this to be interesting and has always referred to ME as her Indigo child. Accordingly, my dd is a Crystal. I'm not sure how much of it I believe. The writings/theories of Jung really resonate with me and I think that I have always just conceptualized personality from this perspective.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 08-24-2007, 05:28 AM

My local weekly had an article about Indigo children this week:

http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3341/9436/
Old 08-24-2007, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorGirlfriend View Post
Wait a minute...what's happening to my special purpose?

- Navin R. Johnson
: Oh thank God I wasn't the only one thinking this...

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Come on, no one's going to read the link? I was so sure someone would exclaim "OMG I bet that's a MDC mama!"
Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
My local weekly had an article about Indigo children this week:

http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3341/9436/
Hmmmm, interesting.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
a spiritual guru who wears a giant white Afro shaped like a motorcycle helmet

isn't that pretty much standard Afro shape??
Old 08-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Come on, no one's going to read the link? I was so sure someone would exclaim "OMG I bet that's a MDC mama!"
The first thing I thought was, "It's will-LAM-itt, dammit," which my mom said to my grandma after repeatedly hearing "WILL-um-ette".

Then I read the article, and thought it sort of confirms the theory that "indigo children" is just a nicer label to put on people with learning disabilities. And the talking to God thing just sounded odd to me.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Yeah, the talking to God thing concerned me a lot. I'm all for spirituality but what was being described there sounded more like a break with reality. The young man is just the prime age for early onset schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder, too--which could also cause some ADHD-like symptoms, and depression-type symptoms. I'm thinking, wouldn't a person want to get that looked into, no matter how "crunchy" they are?

User Tag List