Another WWYD about a neighbor thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 08-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I would end it and end it hard. Be honest and be clear. This sounds like one of the those 'mama bear' moments when you have to protect your babes.

And does the mom's name start with a 'G'. I think I know her.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#32 of 35 Old 08-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the steak knife problem gives you an "out" for dinner. I think you should just say, "Thanks for the invitation, but after the steak knife problem last year I'm not really comfortable eating at your house again." That takes care of the current invitation.

Then, I'd just try to fade out gradually without confrontation, since you do have to live next door to them. I WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT ALLOW DD TO GO TO THEIR HOUSE. The mom is unstable and what if she accuses DD of something next? You felt terrible as an adult, but a kid really doesn't have the personal resources to cope with a crazy woman.

Good luck!
#33 of 35 Old 08-15-2007, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would flat out tell her that her daughter's behavior, her own lack of consistent discipline with her child, the fact that she has spanked and shamed her DD while your DD was there, neither of which you consider acceptable parenting practices or appropriate supervision while you are there, mean that you cannot let your daughter play at her house any more. Also, I would add that you won't set foot in her home again since it would be too likely to lead to another accusation on her part of theft or some other unfounded nonsense.

Good luck.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#34 of 35 Old 08-17-2007, 12:55 AM

No update??? I seriously need to know if anything happened. Yes I need a life.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#35 of 35 Old 08-17-2007, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietplease View Post
I think the steak knife problem gives you an "out" for dinner. I think you should just say, "Thanks for the invitation, but after the steak knife problem last year I'm not really comfortable eating at your house again."

Yeah, I was trying to envision how you might eat dinner at their home without using any utensils.....leaning over and just rutting around in the plate like the little brother on A Christmas Story.

Unfortunately, I think you must live down the street from my sister-in-law. (except HER dd is 22, so maybe not!) I avoid her by living two states away. I weep for my brother's future, married to that shrew of a woman.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page