"no gift" baby blessing - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 08-11-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We're going to have a family wide welcome evan party in november (ha... born in feb.), anyway, I don't want crap, so I was thinknig of saying no gifts, or suggesting they make a donation to buy a tree in his name, or saying something like gently used gift items for donation to the local childrens center or something... thoughts, wording suggestions...?????????

hh2.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that's a great idea!

If you really don't want gifts for Even and prefere a donation to a shelter or something maybe say something cute on the invitation from Evan.

Maybe this : Even loves all the toys he has and wants to share them with "this charity". He would be so happy if he could share.

Or something like that.
#3 of 7 Old 08-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Donations like canned food and money are good, but sometimes, people want to bring something for you and the baby, too. A couple of my friends have done neat things: one asked each guest to bring a flowering plant or herb, and she planted them all in a garden for her baby. Another had people bring a stone, rock, or crystal and tell a brief story about why they chose it. Her dh then incorporated all the stones/crystals into a beautiful mosaic-y mandala for their baby.

You could also just have people design a "page" meant to be bound into a book for your baby. I've had several friends do this--pages can include stories, quotes, artwork, anything inspirational.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#4 of 7 Old 08-11-2007, 04:19 PM

I've found that telling people I didn't want baby gifts never worked, but giving them an option did.

For this last baby I asked that no one give me baby stuff, but rather donate to my chest freezer fund or make a dinner or something. I far more money than I needed for the freezer, food enough to fill it and gift cards out the wazoo to my favorite grocery store.

I personally don't like being told to donate to charity in lieu of gifts. I'm very selective about things like that.
#5 of 7 Old 08-11-2007, 04:35 PM

I like the food idea. They could bring takeout gift cards or frozen casseroles. That would ease the burden of cooking for a bit. (assuming you don't have major dietary restrictions... if that's the case you might not want others cooking for you)

When people insist on bringing a gift I usually suggest books. It's hard to have too many books.

Mom to (5) (9)
#6 of 7 Old 08-11-2007, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i think you are awesome! what a great idea. i got a lot of good stuff at my shower, but SO MUCH CRAP too...i think its a wonderful idea to do a no gift baby blessing...and you rule!:
#7 of 7 Old 08-12-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Come help us welcome the newest addition!
Evan was born at home into his fathers arms on 2/21/07.
Please join us at (time) on (date) at (place).

We are making a time capsule to for evan to open when he graduates college. Your presence is present enough, however if gift-giving is important to you, please bring a gently used item that represents the year 2007 to be included.

or

Your presence is present enough, however if gift-giving is important to you, please bring an un-wrapped gift for "operation christmas child."

which one?

Or... "please note that any gifts brought will be donated to the local holiday children's toy drive?"

hh2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page