Vent- I hate cooking! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So DD2 has been complaining that I haven't been making regular meals over the summer and she's not eating regularly because of it. So tonight we decided to make stir fry and egg rolls.

I was thoroughly exhausted by 4:30 and ready to nap instead of cook, but I cooked anyway. DD2 did help with the food prep, but then nobody helped clean up. And DD1 (who was out with friends at the time) and DS didn't even eat what I'd prepared.

So now I'm just as exhausted (and now in that "overtired, can't fall asleep" mode) and DS is still whining for food and DD1 still made her own dinner (and didn't clean up yet) but now I also have a huge mess to clean up from dinner prep.

So why did I bother cooking anything? I should have just microwaved some hot dogs on paper plates.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh UGH - I hear you loud and clear! I would have loved your stirfry Ruthla - you can cook for me anytime, and I'll wash up the dishes afterwards!

Today I slaved in the kitchen all afternoon making eggplant parmesan from our gorgeous organic eggplants from our CSA. This included making homemade roasted tomato sauce straight from the tomatoes I grew in our backyard. So it was a mighty long, mightly hot afternoon in the kitchen making all this "from scratch" goodness.

Dinnertime comes and I herd the crew to the table. DD says "I just want noodles". DS says "EWWW - what is it? I don't want it" and DH took two bites said "It's really good, but I just don't have an appetite" and pushed his plate away. :

Sigh. Oh well - more for me.
#3 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 PM

I hear you loud and clear!

I have to cook for 4 of us in my home. My dd is underweight so I have to make a high calorie food for her, my ds is overweight so I have to have a low fat option for him, and my mother is hypertensive so it has to be low in sodium. My son doesn't get home from football until 8pm, my daughter needs to eat between 5 and 6pm and my mom hates everything she can safely eat : It's a nightmare. And nobody cleans up for me either
#4 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 11:20 PM

I don't like cooking either. Problem is that I'm actually pretty good at it when I do it (so everyone else says anyway) so I end up doing it more than I'd like.

Except lately I've been trying to find excuses not to do it so we've been eating out too much, which presents its own set of problems.

I think the problem is when I cook it's never anything that *I* want to eat - I'm always cooking for everyone else so I never feel really satisfied. But I'm kind of a picky eater so I have to live with that I guess.
#5 of 5 Old 08-26-2007, 11:22 PM

I don't like it either. well, I like cooking when I have a plan and am not tired and trying to throw something together. day to day cooking I hate. I recently cooked a week's worth of meals on one day to try and prevent the frustration. Turns out, our dishwasher is broken, and I'm STILL washing up from two days ago : my plan back fired.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page