Do they still teach Home Ec? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The jr. high I teach at has it, but the classes are called "Foods, " "Foods II," and "Creative Sewing." All classes are quite popular, even with males, in fact I think the numbers are pretty equal by gender in the foods classes. They make great stuff and share with the teachers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2007, 03:34 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-29-2007, 03:40 PM

I took both home ec and shop in middle school, and they were both a joke. If these life skills are taught well I think they are very important and useful, but I got nearly nothing out of those classes. I didn't learn anything about cooking I didn't already know, the sewing didn't stick at all with me, and I was too nervous to do much more than slack off in shop. That was in a very small middle school with probably not enough resources to provide useful experiences with these things, maybe other schools do a better job of it.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:53 PM

In PA teachers are certificated in Family and Consumer Science and then teach a wide range of things - cooking, sewing, crafts, child development.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmeadowlark View Post
The jr. high I teach at has it, but the classes are called "Foods, " "Foods II," and "Creative Sewing." All classes are quite popular, even with males, in fact I think the numbers are pretty equal by gender in the foods classes. They make great stuff and share with the teachers!!!
My brother took the equivalent of 'Foods' and 'Foods II' in hs. He made it his first class so he would always have breakfast!
They were called 'Beginning Food' and 'Advanced Beginning Food' if you took it twice, but it was the same class. There is still a Home Economics department at our hs, though.

Jessika, wife to Turbo, mommy to Codi (12/04), Kayce (8/08), Colten (10/10), and a new little stork-suprise.gif coming 12/13 .

Old 08-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
oh, I loved our old home ec teacher. The only thing I didn't like was that you had to share the teensy kitchen and divide a simple recipe among, like, five kids. "You pour in the milk, I'll stir, and then Kylie can put it in the oven."

She had a cross-stitch club that met at lunch. Lifesaver for a dorky towheaded poor girl. Gave us misfits somewhere warm and inviting to go.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
This was part of our home ec class. I was in school right as they were changing the name to "family and consumer sciences". We learned budgeting, home decorating, cooking, sewing, and probably some other stuff I have forgotten.

I took 3 years of home ec. The third year was "parenting", open to students that had a child or had 2 years of home ec under their belt (ie me, cause they didn't know where else to put me, cause no one else wanted that much home ec in my school ) We did all the home-ec-y stuff, but geared towards small kids. And, once a month, we all shared breakfast courtesy of WIC. (I had to bring the bacon, cause I didn't have a baby or WIC )
wedid the same stuff, we talked alot about redesigning kitchens. we touched a tiny bit on parenting and how to feed children nutritious food, but we also had an elective class called childcare and nannying, which i did.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Ah yes. Home Ec. I had one that must have been mainly sewing. I remember sewing some spandex shorts which I think included a trip to the fabric store to pick out the supplies. We also sewed sweatshirts, and I accidentally sewed mine inside out, with the fuzzy part on the outside Then, I guess to make up for that, I made extra credit project was my 9th grade dance dress. I twas a Vogue pattern and have satin, lace, velvet, boning and hundreds of tiny hand sewn tucks in the bodice. Yes, I actually wore it to the dance.

I had shop class too. Hated it! I know the T.A. did a few things for me, as well as the teacher. The funny thing is, now DH and I are building a house ourselves and I'll use any tool we have. We built our current "temporary" home we live in now. Shop class had nothing to do with the skills I have now.

I think a cross stitch club would have been fun. I would have joined.

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

Old 08-29-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
She had a cross-stitch club that met at lunch. Lifesaver for a dorky towheaded poor girl. Gave us misfits somewhere warm and inviting to go.
I would have been all over that club like white on rice!!! I started cross stitching at 12 but noone in my school was as dorky as me, their pass times were music, sports, cutting class, smoking and getting pregnant, which is why we only had 7 graduating seniors.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:45 PM

My daughter had a class called "Home Career" in high school. I'm thinking about putting a laughing face in here, but I guess that might be offensive (?)

"Home career" combined some cooking with computer classes.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanElizabeth View Post
My daughter had a class called "Home Career" in high school. I'm thinking about putting a laughing face in here, but I guess that might be offensive (?)

"Home career" combined some cooking with computer classes.
so you can look for new recipies on foodnetwork.com !!!
Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Not in my district, and not where I grew up.

Where I grew up, they used to teach it in middle and high school (and not ALL that long ago ) Now they don't teach it in either. Nor do they teach art or shop in middle school anymore like they used to. They are still in high school, but only as a 'special' class (meaning not everyone has to take it)

Here they do teach it in high school but again as a special class. I'd say 60% of the kids (at least that) get through the school system without a single home ec class at all.

They cite funding restrictions for the cuts... meaning they've pumped more money in to get kids to pass the standardized tests and cut other programs to do that (I'd rather not rant about that issue right now )
Old 08-29-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksprklybarefoot View Post
Honestly, I think that more important than Home Ec or Shop class is some sort of financial education class. How to balance your checkbook, what credit is, etc. To me, that is way more useful if we are talking life skills.
I agree with you.

My ds had that last year, when he was in 7th grade. It's a separate class, not part of home ec/family & consumer science.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
I agree with you.

My ds had that last year, when he was in 7th grade. It's a separate class, not part of home ec/family & consumer science.
:
Old 08-29-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
In shop, I learned that if you act cute and sweet enough, you can get a male to fix it for you :. I was deathly afraid of the band saw and the scroll saw, so I decided that instead of actually cutting the wood, I would just sand it until it reached the desired shape. My science teacher took pity on me when he saw the shape of my shop project, took it home, and fixed it up for me. I applied this lesson to many things in my early 20s. Some feminist I am.l
Same, except it was the planer I was scared of. I spent fully 8 classes dinking around looking busy so I could avoid planing my pieces. Finally got a guy to do it for me.

I really HATE that they don't teach financial basics in school, it is the one skill that EVERYONE needs.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
In shop, I learned that if you act cute and sweet enough, you can get a male to fix it for you :. I was deathly afraid of the band saw and the scroll saw, so I decided that instead of actually cutting the wood, I would just sand it until it reached the desired shape. My science teacher took pity on me when he saw the shape of my shop project, took it home, and fixed it up for me.
I loved those two saws, i made the best merry go round toy in our class, out of 22 boys and 10 girls!! I was so good using the scroll saw, that the teacher got me to help the other girls.

Now....... 15yrs later, you wouldnt get me anywhere near using tools.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Everyone had to take 1/2 a year of shop and 1/2 a year of home ec. in grade 8 at my high school, plus there was a class called "Consumer Education" that taught all the budgeting, how to write cheques, etc. We learned what kinds of advertising practices are illegal, stuff like that. I think there was a big career exploration component too, but it was in grade 9 so I wasn't really ready for it.

The home ec stuff wasn't very useful to me. I learned that I could make sloppy sewing projects and give them to my family as gifts (hm, I still do this!) I also learned that the shop teacher would do the work for the pretty girls. Unfortunately I wasn't one of them. But I operate tools all the time and have rebuilt a VW engine, so I guess it worked out alright.

They made the Home Ec. teacher teach us Sex Ed - her face was beet red the entire time.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 AM

When I went through school, we had the option of Home Ec (cooking and sewing) or Industrial Education (woodwork, metalwork, drafting & electronics). I took IE to get out of sewing. I hate sewing. I'd have probably put up with it for a semester if I'd had any idea that I was going to be the only girl in IE and how much crap that was going to end up causing me for the next five years.

DS1 is at the same high school now. He had a choice between Technology (electronics, woodwork, plastics, robotics & something I don't remember) or another class. The other class was part cooking and part basic computer skills...word processing and such. He can easily learn all that at home, so he took Tech. As far as I can tell, there were 3 or 4 Tech classes, and only one of the other subject. I think it may be on its way out around here, now that so many of the girls feel okay about taking Tech.

Someone mentioned a basic financial course. When I graduated, Consumer Education was required for grad. It was only one year, but covered basic budgeting, how loans work and some other things. I don't know if it's still required. I like the idea in theory, but I found it pretty useless. OTOH, I had parents who did teach me that stuff - I think several of my classmates got a lot more out of it than I did.

My mom has always felt that there should be a "Life Skills" class, for both genders. She always said that it should cover some basic cookery, sewing on a button and a couple other minor repairs, splicing a plug, basic tool use, etc. I think it's probably not a bad idea...and could include some basic budgeting, as well.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-30-2007, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
Everyone had to take 1/2 a year of shop and 1/2 a year of home ec. in grade 8 at my high school...
Did you go to school in Vancouver? I'm just curious, as this is similar to what my mom has always envisioned, but they didn't do it here when I went through, and aren't doing it now.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
They made the Home Ec. teacher teach us Sex Ed - her face was beet red the entire time.
The Home Ec teacher in my middle school taught Home Ec to the 7th graders and Sex Ed to the 8th graders. Apparently, she was quite matter-of-fact. I was once told that she described the taste of semen to the 8th graders (who asked) as salty. I've always thought that to be accurate.

BTW, she had the greatest surname... Epstein. Doesn't that totally sound like a home ec teacher name?

love.gif

Old 08-30-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
I would have been all over that club like white on rice!!! I started cross stitching at 12 but noone in my school was as dorky as me, their pass times were music, sports, cutting class, smoking and getting pregnant, which is why we only had 7 graduating seniors.
Hey, cross-stitching might be the Official Craft of Dorks, but at least it never got anyone knocked up.

If it did, please nobody tell me about it.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 AM

my mom taught it last year in a public junior high.

i took an elective sewing class in high school, but I don't think they even offer it anymore :

::
Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 AM

around here, home ec is pretty much a thing of the past........too much emphasis on passing standardized tests. When I was in school, mid 80s, they existed but had few takers. The big exception was cooking. My brother figured out cooking was a great way to meet girls LOL. When my Dh was a teen he came up with a similar idea, and took typing. I love to cook but nevere took classes in cooking or home ec....I was into band.

Laura
Old 08-30-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes View Post
Hey, cross-stitching might be the Official Craft of Dorks, but at least it never got anyone knocked up.

If it did, please nobody tell me about it.
me either!! I have been doing a bunch of it and I'm not on birth control or planning another one
Old 08-30-2007, 04:13 PM

Locally, we still have home-ec related classes. I was helping my friend's little sister choose courses at high school, and some options were:

In Grade 8, there is a mandatory class where for the first 1/2 of the year, you do wood working and metal work. The 2nd 1/2 is "domestic skills" ie, basic cooking, sewing, laundry, etc. How to make toast and such
Grades 9-11 have options for sewing and cooking classes, including my favorite "survival cooking, how to cook on a budget" I took this class in high school, and it was awesome. Basically, how to make good food and cover basic nutrition with stuff that takes under 30 minutes to prepare and can be cooked in a dorm room.

We also used to have this sweet class called "business education" that was really a solid financial education class, with info on things like balancing a cheque book. It was replaced with "Career and Personal Planning" which involved making generic goals and saying you wanted to enter an "acceptable" career. At-home parenting, joining the circus and raising llamas were deemed unacceptable. i tried to submit proposals for all 3. (Ironically, i have friends in the circus and others who raise llamas. I SAH. I think they are great careers!)

There are also some neat classes like Child Psych/family management same class, just about development from infants to about age 10.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie
Everyone had to take 1/2 a year of shop and 1/2 a year of home ec. in grade 8 at my high school...

Did you go to school in Vancouver? I'm just curious, as this is similar to what my mom has always envisioned, but they didn't do it here when I went through, and aren't doing it now.

No, not exactly. I went to A.S.S. Which they're now calling A.C.S. The courses are still offered 1/2 a year each, as they're on a semester system now... but I don't know if they're required or not.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 08-31-2007, 03:48 PM

Well, I graduated from college in 1999 with a degree in Home Economics (or Family and Consumer Sciences, as it's called now). I always wanted to be a teacher from teh time I was too little to even be in school. By the time I got to college and I had to declare a major I was looking at the mess in schools and unsure that I really wanted to teach. Sooooo, I considered Library Sciences, which required a Bachelors and a teaching degree to enter. I decided to go for my Bachelor's in FCS since I would have my teaching degree and, if I decided to never teach, everything I learned in college would be applicable to the rest of my life, no matter what I did. I took classes on finances, elder care, child care, development and psychology, cooking, sewing, interior design, building strong families, etc, etc, etc. Basically things I use every single day. I have since decided that I will be homeschooling my own children and you can bet that every single one of them will know how to cook a meal for themselves, sew on a button (and hopefully more!), balance their checkbook, meal planning and shopping for a family, basic childcare, etc, etc, etc.
Sadly, FCS is really on its way out in most areas. In Texas, where I completed college and did my student teaching, I worked in a high school that had 3 FCS teachers that each taught a full load of classes. I moved to Oregon and tried to get a job here and ran into school district after school district that told me that they didn't even offer any classes like that. It makes me sad that these skills are considered so unimportant when compared to doing well on a standardized test.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:49 PM

I took home ec and shop in 7/8. Home ec was about sewing, machine and hand plus a little cooking. Shop was wokring saws and such.

Then in high school I took Education and Child Care? or something like that, which was a basic intro into child development and child care skills. The best part of the class was first thing in the morning we heated water for tea. I learned how to make a great pot of tea. We had tea and some cookies everyday at 9am. :

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 08-31-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I went to school in Kamloops and Kelowna, and both schools has the 1/2 year of shop, 1/2 year of home ec. I think it's a BC thing.

User Tag List