Do you think that going through a traumatic experience..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would cause someone to get gray hair early?

Has this happened to anyone on here? :

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#2 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 09:51 AM

My husband was already losing hair prematurely, but the few months after his father passed prematurely and dealing with the lawsuit that followed he went almost completely bald. He was 26 at the time. Not gray, but along the same lines. My husband is terrible at expressing his feelings until it's too late, so it's not surprising that this was how the stress chose to relieve itself.

My hair starting graying prematurely following the traumatic birth of DS #1. I didn't have any and then suddenly within a week I had loads of gray. I was 27.

Dani, wife to Cullen - 9/2002, mom to CJ 11/2004, Billy 12/2007 and Nora 7/2009
#3 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM

In this past year I have been through some major crap (and I didn't have a bit of grey)-now I have lots. so I think stress can def. cause more grey-perhaps stress leads to a particular deficiency that leads to loss of hair color....

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#4 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 10:01 AM

I already had a few grays, but after my daughter's stillbirth, I got many more. Enough that others commented on it. After a while, they fell out, and my hair looks normal again. I have heard of it happening to others, including close friends, and have had it happen to a lesser extent at other times. My Mom says that it is a nutritional deficiency from the extra stress (that the body has extra needs during high stress times and that we don't feed the stress appropriately with diets and supplements), rather than truly "going gray" and that with good nutrition it can be somewhat fixed. That has been my personal experience. When I would focus on diet and nutrition during a high stress time, it wouldn't happen, or not as much. And when I would focus in the months afterward, once it fell out, it did not grow back gray much of the time.
#5 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 10:07 AM

I also know someone who lost a close family member, he also does not express emotions well. Within a month or so he was all gray, now he's going bald and has age lines. I think tramatic expereinces can age people very quickly.
#6 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 10:32 AM

I did not get gray hair (I'm 27, btw) until after the death of my daughter. And it was almost instantaneous. So yes, I believe that a traumatic experience can bring on gray hair.

FWIW, the gray is not that noticeable unless I wear my hair pulled up.

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#7 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Stress seems to bring out my white hairs....I don't think I will gray but go white. Right now, it just makes me aggravated as I don't feel ready for white hairs.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 11:09 AM

My mom went gray early, as did I.

However, when my father was murdered (when I was four), her hair literally turned white overnight.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#9 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 11:13 AM

My Dad was all brown, then had a commercial breaker box blow up on him and toss him across a room. Second and Third Degree burns, etc.

He started to go white right away.

Though, after that all the white just fell out and he's back to being brown.

So yes, I know it is possible.
#10 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 11:16 AM

My hair went crazy gray after DS was born. It was a very traumatic experience. DS's dad's hair started to fall out like mad, after the birth. It isn't just an old-wives tale!
#11 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

I knew that I couldn't be the only one. After my first husband died my hair really started to turn gray. I am refusing to color it, though.

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#12 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 12:38 PM

Family lore says that my great-grandfather's hair turned from black to completely white in a couple of years because of the stress of having his only son (my grandfather) fighting in WWII. I have no idea if this is true or not, of course.
#13 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 01:14 PM

I had a really, really bad experience with a highly stressful job. After a few months I discovered a gray hair (silver actually which I think will be cool when I am finally old enough to have gray hair) and freaked out. I pulled it out and three more grew in. I also had other physical symptoms of high stress. I was 23. I'm 24 now and I haven't noticed them in awhile but I haven't gone looking either. I'm afraid the stress from seeing them will give me more

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#14 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 01:19 PM

I was 21 when I started going grey. Just a few stray hairs here and there. A few months ago my mom had a massive heart attack and we almost lost her - after that experience I started getting a grey stripe on my left temple. I'm 25 now and will probably be totally grey by the time I'm 35 if things keep going like they have been
#15 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 01:23 PM

Yep. My ds died at birth and when my hair started growing back (you know how that postpartum hair loss goes), I had my first grays. When people comment on it (oh look, you're getting old/etc), i have to bite my tongue to tell them how I earned those gray hairs.
#16 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 PM

Yep I think gray can come with stress.

This last year has been really hard on me and I have discovered 2 gray hairs plus am having other issues with my body that are due to stress we believe.
#17 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 02:21 PM

My grandfather had recurrent bouts with cancer for years. The first time they told my father Grandpa was going to die, my father was 16. He lost his hair that week. Totally bald on top, from the front back. (My grandfather lived to 63.)
#18 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norajane View Post
would cause someone to get gray hair early?

Has this happened to anyone on here? :
yes and yes.
#19 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM

I had surgery where I almost died. What was to be a quick overnight thing turned into me being in ICU/CCU for over two weeks.

Once home I discovered that the hair at my temples was completely gray. It did all fall out grow back in its normal brown color after a while.
#20 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 PM

During the breakup of my first marriage, I was getting grey hair. I don't know how premature it was, as I was in my late 20s. We split up a couple of months before I turned 32.

By the time I turned 34, my grey hair was gone. It started to come back a couple of years ago (when I was 37). I think I was "supposed" to start greying at about 37, but it started early, due to stress.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#21 of 21 Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 PM

Yes, it happened to me. But most of the grey hairs did fall out later. Now I'm seeing a couple more again. *sigh* I'm getting old...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page