Kid Birthday Invites - Gift Etiquette - AGAIN! :) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've searched and can't find the threads, so I'm sorry to ask this when I know it's been covered.

I'm having DS's birthday party in a couple of weeks and we're inviting his whole class plus a few friends - possibly 20+ kids to attend : . I (and maybe DS) would honestly be just fine with no gifts at all, but know that's not going to be the reality. I also know and agree with the whole "saying 'no gifts' assumes that gifts are expected." I don't know how well received it would be if I suggested something along the lines of donations to others etc.

Is there any way to suggest that we're open to whatever makes others comfortable/happy?

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#2 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We did this a lot in my old playgroup and it worked really well. Ask everyone to bring a wrapped book. You can play a musical chairs type game and that way every one leaves with a book (they get a 'present' when they are out) and your kid doesn't end up with a million plastic play sets. Another bonus is that everyone brings a 'present' so there is no weird don't bring a gift thing.
#3 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:16 AM

I have yet to find a way to bring this up that doesn't offend someone.

In the past, when people ask what my kids want - and they usually do - I reply with "you really don't have to bring a gift, it's not expected. DS is just looking forward to seeing your child at the party."

DH & Me + DS(7)  DD(6)  DD(4)  DS(3)  DD(1)  

Baby #6: 20****25****30****35**heartbeat.gif** - EDD December 17, 2010
#4 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:20 AM

You could just not point out it's a birthday party. Call it an fall party or something and then have cake anyway..... 'cause, yum, birthday cake.

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
#5 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune6 View Post
We did this a lot in my old playgroup and it worked really well. Ask everyone to bring a wrapped book. You can play a musical chairs type game and that way every one leaves with a book (they get a 'present' when they are out) and your kid doesn't end up with a million plastic play sets. Another bonus is that everyone brings a 'present' so there is no weird don't bring a gift thing.
What a great idea!
#6 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 AM

:

love that idea...hi coldfeet
#7 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune6 View Post
And because everyone leaves with a present, there's not so much pressure to provide a junk bag for everyone.
#8 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABand3 View Post
And because everyone leaves with a present, there's not so much pressure to provide a junk bag for everyone.
Exactly!! I'm so sad I moved!! It worked really great. All the kids had a great time because they played a game and 'won' yet the parents didn't end up in polly pocket hell!
#9 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's a great idea! How would I word it on the invitation? I literally don't know 15 of the invitees as it's his new kindie class.

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

#10 of 10 Old 09-13-2007, 01:43 AM

I would just state the time and place of the party. Then say" Instead of a regular gift, please bring a book wrapped up as a present as we will be playing a game together." Make it as is simple and blunt as you can.
It was a lot easier on my invites since we were all such good friends already.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page