Help me plan my Hawaiian vacation! - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Which Hawaiian Island should we visit?
Oahu (Honolulu) 3 12.00%
Maui (Kahului) 10 40.00%
Big Island (Kona) 7 28.00%
The indispensable "Other" 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So DH just asked me if I wanted to go to Hawaii. Which is a really stupid question, since I wanted to go there on our honeymoon and we couldn't afford it. I've been twice, both times to Waikiki, DH has never been. This is a 4 day trip the week after Thanksgiving.

So from the local airport we can get direct flights to 3 islands. The question is, which island?

ETA - Apparently I can also get to Kauai nonstop, but of course can't add that to the poll at this point.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 11:23 PM

Spent a week in Oahu and absolutely loved it. I'm hoping to get back after this baby is born since DH's aunt and uncle are stationed there with the navy, and they welcome us with open arms.

We didn't get to do a whole lot last time, but it was REALLY nice being back in a US state...I love Japan but sometimes I just want to go out without feeling so out of place.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24 AM

Kauai all the way!

Have Fun,

Lisa

Lisa, Todd, Dane and Amber: & :::
Old 09-29-2007, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kauai, definatly

We have been there 5 times and it is the best. Lots less touristy, no big biuldings, small, hippy towns and shopping! We usually stay out buy the light house and That side of the island is quieter than the other side.

Really good dive sites if you are divers

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:40 AM

Yep, Kauai

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
Old 09-29-2007, 12:55 AM

Kauai, kauai, kauai! Maui is beautiful, too, but Kauai is a whole nother world! We took a cruise and spent 14 days visiting the various islands, and this was by far our favorite - so lush and beautiful. I would stay away from oahu, it's like the Ocean City, MD, of Hawaii - which may not mean much to you, but unless you love tourists, touristy things, and little asian girls in bikinis holding giant assault rifles (actual attraction we saw a flyer for) then stay away! Well, the North Shore's nice, but Kuaui!
Old 09-29-2007, 01:00 AM
WNB

O'ahu is my favorite island. I've lived here for 5 years now and I still love O'ahu the best. If you can stay at a B&B in Kailua you will be out of the hubbub of Waikiki, but still able to get there via bus if you want to be "in town". And there's lots (restaurants, groceries, beach, gift shops) in Kailua town that is walking distance to the area where most B&Bs are located.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You made me homesick WNB.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:38 PM

What about Lanai? Awesome place! I was there in 2000 and had a wonderful time.

Maui is awesome too. Haven't been to Kaui, but I understand that is very nice too.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 PM

I've spent time on Oahu and Kauai. I found Kauai to be very laid back and absolutly beautiful. Oahu was very busy and crouded and way more touristy and dirtier over all. There seemed to be garbage everywhere. Even if there was a garbage bin nearby it would almost always be overflowing. I had my gossest scariest public restroom experiance ever in a beach restroom on Oahu. I didn't even want to walk on the floor it was so gross.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Old 09-29-2007, 01:56 PM

I used to live in Kailua-Kona so I am biased!!
Angela
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Big Island!!

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

Old 09-29-2007, 02:39 PM

I don't know nowt about Hawaii........ Just go to the nicest part!!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie View Post
Kauai all the way!

Have Fun,

Lisa
that
Old 09-29-2007, 02:47 PM

Kauai is tropical, greener than green, not crowded, absolutely amazing beaches that are mostly empty, scenery to make you gasp, lovely little towns that are full of people like me, and some amazing places to stay.

The Na Pali coast has no equal, either a boat trip, helicopter ride, or even better camping trip there is the trip of a lifetime.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:27 PM

I voted Maui on impulse, but I think the Big Island is nice. Honolulu sucks. It's like L.A.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:36 AM

Depends on what you want to do; what you are looking for in a vacation.

There's a lot to do on Oahu and Maui...there are parts of these islands that are less "bustling", but the resort-y areas are pretty developed. The nice thing about going to either of these islands is that you can park on a deserted beach during the day and not have a problem finding a fun show for the evening. You CAN have the best of both worlds, and you DON'T have to stay in Waikiki on Oahu.

The Big Island is a great place to visit, but it's not what a lot of people think when they think of a trip to Hawaii. I spent a week on the Big Island last year, and didn't go to the beach once. (We spent most of our time at Volcanoes National Park and on that side of the island...we want to go back and spend a week on the OTHER side and get some beach time in next time.) For a four day trip, it's best to pick one or the other.

I would say that Kauai and Lanai are the islands you would go to if you want to relax on a less-than-crowded beach for most of your time. (Although there are activities to do on those islands, they aren't like the plethora of things there are to do on the other islands.)

Although I will say that no matter what you choose, I'd get to booking something soon, as Thanksgiving time is high season around here.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:47 AM

we just got back from a week in maui, we really love it there, although for our next trip back we will probably go to kauai.

we stayed in the northern part of kihei, which made it really accessible. we stayed at the sugar beach resort, which is very family friendly and right on the beach. we stay away from the touristy areas like lahaina or kaanapali.

whatever you choose...hope you have a wonderful trip and aloha!!

User Tag List