So, why DO we wear shoes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I slipped out of my heel tonight and hurt my toe, and then thought, "Well, I guess that's why we wear shoes". Then I realized, "Wait, the shoe is WHY I got hurt".

Anyway, my point is- why exactly do we wear shoes? Or I guess the real question is, why do YOU wear shoes?

I think, honestly, the only reason I wear them is it's because that's what society expects. You can't even get in the door some places without shoes on.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Because I need arch support and if I'm barefoot and walking around for a long time I get this strange sensation that I can only describe as it feels like someone's cramming something up to my knees through my heels.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#3 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Banned

i'm not feeling the shoe love either. i basically only rawk flipflops, except when i go to the Y, cuz they've got this RULE about you have to have sneeks in the gym.

whatever, so today, we were supposed to go the playground, but we drove by, and the mosquito fogger dude was there. :P so we went to the Y (and i totally forgot that i didn't have my sneeks on). ALL i wanted to do was the stationary bike. i had knitting, so i wasn't gonna be all vin diesal on the pull up machine, or risking the integrity of my toes near the freeweights, you know? (not, that SNEAKERS would be at ALL protective if a freeweight of any substance got dropped on your toes, but whatever).

so the person who sits smugly at the desk and looks piously in shape goes 'YOUNG LADY! you CANNOT be in here with THOSE shoes!'

first of all, heifer, i'm 26 years old. don't young lady me. secondly, i'm gonna be on the STATIONARY bike. if, per chance, some belt comes whipping off the bike, and magically severs one or more of my piggies, i'll sign a waiver, eh?

she wasn't trying to hear that.

i don't know why we wear shoes. they're bad for foot development, they're bad for foot health, except in certain cases of structural issues.

i hate shoes.
#4 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 04:11 AM

Because we walk on hard, unforgiving concrete. Not soft, loving grass, dirt or sand.
#5 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Because we walk on hard, unforgiving concrete. Not soft, loving grass, dirt or sand.
But my feet hurt less when I walk on concrete barefoot than when I wear shoes. Is that just me?

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#6 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 04:35 AM

do you wear heels a lot?

I don't touch those w/ a ten foot pole.
#7 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
do you wear heels a lot?

I don't touch those w/ a ten foot pole.
No, not too often at all. That's why I haven't bothered to replace the crappy ones I was wearing tonight

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#8 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 AM

To protect my feet.

I have never been a heel person, so it's always comfortable shoes I buy.
#9 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 05:05 AM

glass, needles, sharp terrain, cause mud between the toes feels weird, frostbite..... I'm sure theres more.

I dont wear heels though, I see no real reason for them, but they are cute for certain things But as an everyday shoe.....no way. I wear sneaker clogs, slippers, sneakers, flat canvas shoes, flip flops. I hate "normal" shoes.
#10 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 AM

Gravel. My kids are all over the gravel driveway barefoot, but it hurts me too much.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#11 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 AM

I wear them as little as possible. I hate shoes. So unless I am shopping, I am barefoot! Except like when I am mowing the grass or something that may be dangerous in bared feet. I walk everywhere in my bare feet, and love the feel of earth and grass under my feet.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#12 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 AM

I strive to be barefoot....... I got yelled at in high school SO much and really only wear shoes when required but even then I've walked into a nasty trucker bathroom in Kansas at 3 in the morning with no shoes cause we were on a road trip and I couldnt find them..... shoes suck (but they are pretty sometimes)
#13 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 AM

To protect my feet from surfaces outside, to keep them clean-ish (cuz your feet still get "dirty" in shoes), keep warm in colder weather and to help support my high arches.
#14 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 AM

My reason for wearing shoes outdoors is that the last time I didn't I stepped on a frog. That was when I was about 6 and since then I've been ridiculously afraid of both frogs and going out barefoot.

The shoes come off indoors, though. Now if I could only get DP to take his off.
#15 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM

We came up with foot coverings to protect our feet but not all shoes are now design for that function.
#16 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM

My DD has tough feet and can go basically anywhere without them (we've been questioned by annoying people as well) DS is working on is tough feet. he wants to be barefoot but sometimes the ground is too hot or rough for him so I pick him up or put shoes on him. He will ask for them when he needs them.

Me..I'm a wimp. I wear my shoes all the time. Even the grass feels too itchy for me. I don't wear heels b/c I am pigeon toed and I fall off of them.

My DH would be barefoot all the time if he could.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#17 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 09:09 AM

I wear shoes pretty much all the time, I just can't walk around long without them. Even so, I prefer that they be easy to slip on and off. When I'm sitting, I like to pop them off.
#18 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 AM

I go without shoes MOST of the time. :

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#19 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 09:30 AM

I once went nearly a year without wearing shoes. Didn't work so well during the winter. But it wasn't horrible at all during the other three months. I went without shoes for an evening a couple of months ago. I wore a pair of shoes that I had never broken in, and had to take them off because of the bleeding blistering mess developing on my heels. We were walking to the stadium to watch a soccer game, and as I stepped onto the grass, my husband shoved me to save me from stepping on a flipping razor blade. In the grass. Nearly hidden. Gross.

Now I wear shoes again.
#20 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i am always barefoot unless i have to wear shoes. same with my kids. we are barefoot outside alot, but sometimes shoes are great if there is pokey stuff on the ground, or you are in a city, or what have you. my feet hurt like the dickens if i walk on concrete all day with no shoes.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#21 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 09:42 AM

I wear shoes rarely and when I do its Crocs 99% of the time. When I do wear them its for protection from stuff like gravel, glass, nails that are found usually in piblic. I can usually be confident that my yard and house are safe barefoot but not out in public.
#22 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 10:01 AM

I used to go barefoot all the time as a kid. Now I wear shoes outside at all times because I'm allergic to grass :. I don't wear shoes in the house and if you stop by my work, I often have my shoes just thrown off under my desk. Thankfully neither of my bosses have minded that I prefer walking around in socks.

WOHM: Married 2002. partners.gif Dog parents 2005. dog2.gif DS arrived 3/3/10. Newbie expected late June 2013. slingboy.gifbfinfant.gifcd.gif

#23 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 AM

I wear shoes all the time. I try to remember to take them off when I get home from work, but 85% of the time I forget.
I love shoes. Now that its fall I can break out my fall and winter shoes, but I will be sad to see the summer ones go.
And I wear heels 95% of the time. Be it high heeled sandals, pumps, or boots. I my heels!
#24 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 AM

I don't very often. Sometimes I forget to bring them in the car.
#25 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 10:36 AM

I hate shoes. I wear flip-flops whenever possible.
For work I wear fancy-pretty shoes but kick them off when I am at my desk. No one knows but me

I never wore shoes as a kid so I have "tough feet".
My kids aren't big on shoes either.
#26 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm not fond of shoes, I wear them when I go off or when I'm in the back yard, not fun walking on pine needles or sap. I am a comfort shoe person, they must be comfortable, and I need to be able to slip them off when I sit down. I do spend $$ on my shoes, I only wear Dansko or Born, or hiking I'll wear Chaos because I can't stand hiking boots.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#27 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 AM

I'm in Northern Ontario - so we wear shoes, or something to protect our feet because even the non-urban landscape can be unforgiving.

We still teach dd to be aware of where she's going, and watch what she's climbing over, but still... it's pretty rocky round here.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#28 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM

Because our feet are cold. well, that's how it started, anyway, right?
#29 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 12:16 PM

A long time ago humans were walking on the soft earth in most part of the world and didn't need shoes. Now we walk on concrete (under our flooring), asphalt, etc. I wear shoes in my house because the tile floors are doing a number on my joints. I'm in AZ and I know the native americans wore leather shoes here-- you have to-- it's hot and you will burn your feet. People in colder climates certainly didn't go barefoot in the winters either.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#30 of 77 Old 10-12-2007, 01:03 PM

I wear shoes, at least out side, because Id on't want to get hook worms. and to protect my soles from stepping on glass/sharp rocks, getting dirty, etc. I get better traction in shoes. I can't drive barefoot, so that's another reason I wear shoes

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page