I would not go back in and pay for the item. 78 29.89%
Other 12 4.60%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I were still in the store, I would go back and pay for it. Stores loose millions and millions of dollars to shoplifters every year. While taking it wouldn't be shoplifting, it's still taking something out of the store's inventory that was not paid for. In the end, we all end up paying for that in higher prices.

However, if I were with my children and didn't realize until we were in the car or if I didn't realize until I was home, I would not return it.

I absolutely do not think it's stealing. It's a mistake that landed in your favor and you can choose to correct that mistake or not but to call it stealing it a bit dramatic.
#62 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lubner View Post
I did that yesterday when I accidently made it to the car with a chapstick in my pocket. Totally meant to buy it, but stuck it in my pocket instead of my basket out of habit and forgot all about it. So I ran back into the store and paid for it. They thought it was cute.
I accidentally stole a case of Jones Soda at Target by forgetting to take it out of my cart to be scanned. Wasn't until I was returning the cart (almost forgot to put it in the car too) that I saw it and went back to pay.
#63 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 02:00 PM

I would not leave without paying. If I were pressed for time, or sufficiently annoyed, I might leave the item behind; otherwise I would pay for it.
#64 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 PM

To take or appropriate (another's property, ideas, etc.) without permission...

That is the definition of stealing.

I am not saying that a mistake of not seeing something makes you a stealer, it is when you DO see it and you make the choice NOT to correct the mistake that makes you a stealer. Then you are aware of it, and are still choosing not to do anything about it. That is stealing.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#65 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 02:45 PM

I'd go back and pay for it- it's happened to me a few times before and that is what I have done.

Crunchy, Christ-lovin' mama to dd13, ds8, dd6, dd5, ds3  homeschool.gif intactlact.gif saynovax.gifuc.jpg

#66 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Technically, if the sales person put the item in the bag and handed the bag to you, it is not stealing. They gave it to you. The error was in not ringing up the sale - it was a mistake on the part of the sales person.

Stealing would be putting the item in your bag yourself.
#67 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 PM

In that specific situation I would have probably gone back, absolutely if it was a small business.

But if it was a big business and small money item, I'd totally let it go. I see it as a kind of karmic justice -- I've been overcharged and shortchanged enough times that it doesn't bother me at all. Things are marked up crazily enough to begin with -- to pay for some executive's 1.5 million salary -- and then they make a mistake and I'm supposed to inconvenience myself to right it for them? Righht. Call me a thief, whatever. I just think it's ridiculous for someone to be all high and mighty and get worked up about someone else doing such a thing.
#68 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaSarah View Post
To take or appropriate (another's property, ideas, etc.) without permission...

That is the definition of stealing.

I am not saying that a mistake of not seeing something makes you a stealer, it is when you DO see it and you make the choice NOT to correct the mistake that makes you a stealer. Then you are aware of it, and are still choosing not to do anything about it. That is stealing.
#69 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
In addition to someone being a thief if they take something knowingly (even if that "knowing" came later) and do not pay for it, I believe the cashier would have to pay for the item or would suffer in some way when her drawer came up short, so you're not hurting some faceless "corporation" when you steal: you're hurting an individual who's working for less than ten bucks an hour.
It is illegal for an employer to take money out of an employee's pay for shortages. At least, it is in Canada and I suspect it is illegal in the USA as well. Unfortunately it still does happen, because people don't know it isn't legal.

As for me, well, I'd keep the item. I figure it would make up for all the times I've been overcharged for things. A few weeks ago I was shopping and grabbed a pair of tights off a rack that was labeled $14 each. I was in a hurry and didn't clue in when the total was quite a bit more than it should have been. When I got home I realized that I had paid $28. For tights. And going back just wouldn't have been worth the trouble, as the store was downtown in an area where I rarely go.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#70 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDaednu View Post
Uh...I have to strongly disagree with you there.
The cashier would NOT be short any amount of money. If the item was not rung up, it wouldn't have gone through her cash. There'd be no trace of her ever having come in contact with it. So she wouldn't be to blame for anything. It would have nothing to do with her daily sales.
Yes, you're right; I stand corrected.

That being the case, though, it is still knowingly taking something that you did not pay for. This is stealing. If one steals, one is a thief.
#71 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM

Ooooh, that is good news about the cashier not coming up short!! I didn't think about that. Fabulous. Now if I am ever so lucky as to have someone forget to ring in what I am buying, I shall skip away with no mixed feelings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry
That being the case, though, it is still knowingly taking something that you did not pay for. This is stealing. If one steals, one is a thief.
Call it what you will, and call me what you will! I will be too pleased with myself to notice.

I really don't get the uber morality and the black/white thinking on this issue. People LOVE to ride on their high horse. I don't think I know anyone IRL who would go back in the store in a situation like this, and if they did we would all rib them heartily about what a sucker they are.

And, I like to think my circle is comprised of really ethical people. Just not suckers.
#72 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Technically, if the sales person put the item in the bag and handed the bag to you, it is not stealing. They gave it to you. The error was in not ringing up the sale - it was a mistake on the part of the sales person.

So for example, if you gave a book to me and it had a $1000.00 bill in it that you had used as a bookmark, it would be fine if I kept it.
#73 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I don't think I know anyone IRL who would go back in the store in a situation like this, and if they did we would all rib them heartily about what a sucker they are.
Pleased to meet you.
#74 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg Murry. View Post
Pleased to meet you.
IRL.
#75 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

I'd go back and pay, as long as I hadn't gotten all the way home.
#76 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:50 PM

I'd go back and pay for it.

Do all stores allow payment over the phone? Several people have mentioned it, but I've never heard of it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#77 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Quote:
So for example, if you gave a book to me and it had a $1000.00 bill in it that you had used as a bookmark, it would be fine if I kept it.
Not a good analogy. It's not the salesperson's money, in this instance. It is a monetary value affixed to an item by a corporation. A monetary value that nobody has yet paid, so it is theoretical until I trot up to the cash and cough up the $20 for the piece of cloth.
#78 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris' Mom View Post
I would not leave without paying. If I were pressed for time, or sufficiently annoyed, I might leave the item behind; otherwise I would pay for it.
I didn't even think of leaving the item behind. I might do that, depending on the situation.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#79 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 04:03 PM

It would depend on the circumstances. If ds were with me I'd go back and pay for it no matter what. If I were alone, there'd be some wiggle room. I have accidentally taken a pair of sunglasses from Walmart before. They were next to my purse and I just forgot to put them on the conveyor belt. They cost about $12.00, I had just bought almost $200 worth of groceries, Ds, was NOT with me and I discovered the glasses as I got to my car. I took them and felt a little bad for about a day. I figured, well, it's WalMart-the Evil Empire itself. But if I had been in a smaller store or even at WM at a different time and hadn't spent nearly an HOUR in line i would have gone back to pay for them.

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#80 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
The salespersons were looking at me like I was crazy.
This happened to me at Lowe's once. I bought 7 organizer baskets (among a bunch of other stuff), and was only rung up for 1. I took the whole stack back in, found my checkout person, and told her about the mistake. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back, but man! She was not happy about ringing those extra 6 baskets up! She said, "Oh boy, look at that. I almost cost Lowe's $42.78 <eyes rolling around in her head>" But I know I would have felt horribly guilty if I had not gone back.

OTOH, a few months ago I needed a wallet for my ds, found a perfect little green one & didn't even look at the price, because I knew I just had to have it. Got to the checkout, and turns out the thing didn't have a barcode on it. The guy asked me if I knew how much it was, and I said, "Oh wow - I have no idea. $2.99?" He rang it up for $2.99. Weeks later I happened to see the same type of wallet again, and it was $14.99!!! I don't plan to do anything about that one, though... If it had rung up at $14.99, I would have put it back!
#81 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Completely different situation but no, neither one is stealing. Stealing is intentionally taking something that doesn't belong to you. With the store example, the sales person made a mistake, didn't ring up an item and put it in the bag. No stealing involved. Stealing would have been if you had put the item in your bag yourself with the intent of walking out without paying.

Same with the book/money example. If I gave you a book and you turned around and reached in my wallet and took out $1000 to use as a bookmark, that would be stealing. But, if the book had $1000 in it that I forgot to take out then no, it would no be stealing.

Ethically, in both situations, should the item be returned? Yes. But, is either situation stealing? No.
#82 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 PM

If I noticed while at the check-out, or still in the store - I'd pay for it.

After that though - I'll do my little happy dance and go on my merry way.

Canadian mom to Boo (Aug '02), Bug (Aug '04) and Bear (Dec '06).
Jesse (July '09)
#83 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not a good analogy. It's not the salesperson's money, in this instance. It is a monetary value affixed to an item by a corporation. A monetary value that nobody has yet paid, so it is theoretical until I trot up to the cash and cough up the $20 for the piece of cloth.
That's not the issue. The salesperson is a red herring in this case.

This is the specific quote to which I was responding:

So again I ask, if you mistakenly put an item of value -- regardless of what the value is, really -- into some container and hand it to me and I take it, find out about it, know it is a mistake on your part, and decide to keep it, (as in my example about the $1000 bookmark), is this stealing?
#84 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Completely different situation but no, neither one is stealing. Stealing is intentionally taking something that doesn't belong to you. With the store example, the sales person made a mistake, didn't ring up an item and put it in the bag. No stealing involved. Stealing would have been if you had put the item in your bag yourself with the intent of walking out without paying.
Here is the specific quote from the OP:

As you are walking out the door, you suddenly realize that the total you paid was very low. You look at your receipt and realize that you were only charged for two of the three items in your bag.

Intentionally taking = "You look at your receipt and realize that you were only charged for two of the three items."
If you keep walking to your car knowing that you did not pay for this item, you are intentionally taking. You intend to take it, and you take it. Up to that point of realization, it is not stealing. Afterwards, it is because you intend to take this thing that does not belong to you.
#85 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 07:21 PM

i would go back in and pay and i have on more then one occasion i have also gone back in when they gave me too much change.
now if i was at home or even in the car i would not go back and pay for it, i would keep it and not feel bad.

although i have also found a pair of sunglasses in my cart i meant to buy for dd and i just tossed them in the car and kept them. that was back when i still occasionally shopped at wal-mart.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#86 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 07:49 PM

I would go back and pay for it if I realized something was wrong. But I NEVER check my receipts when they are the price I expected or cheaper. I just figure something was on sale.... so me realizing it before I left would be incredibly unlikely.

As a person that used to work in retail?
If a person came back for something like this, I wouldve thought, "awww" then kinda laughed.

Do you have any idea how much stuff gets "damaged" out for employee use, or because the box cutter ripped a shirt, or someone spilled something on it, or it was dirty?

These little things are accounted for, and they are expected. Inventory loss due to stealing is an entirelly different cost. We have caught people stealing upwards of 200 dollars of stuff. People do that every day. That stuff adds up quick. That leads to millions of dollars of loss.

An OOPS here and there isn't something that CEOs of major department stores are worrying about. Its the women putting on 25 pairs of panties in the dressing room and walking out the fron door.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#87 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 PM

Really, it would all depend on the situation, and if I felt bad about it.

I look for that "twinge" that I get when I've done something wrong.

About a week ago, I went to publix, bought normal weekly groceries, started taking things out of the buggy and putting them into the trunk, and DOH! I never took the potatoes off of the bottom rack. And I felt that icky "I did something wrong" feeling. I took the potatoes back, and the store manager was standing there close to the service desk. I explained that I didn't pay for them, and would like to, but I also made sure that the dude was NOT going to flame the cashier. I paid my 2.00 and some change for the bag, and went on my way, after the manager thanked me for my honesty.

I used to work retail. It sucked butt. Honest mistakes were sometimes brutal if the wrong manager was on duty.

HOWEVER, if I did not feel at the time that I had done something wrong, I would not make a huge effort to correct someone's mistake.

I was once given two 100.00 bills in the place of what should have been two 20.00 bills. I paid with a $100.00, and the change should have been $40.something. (Cashier had likely put the money in the wrong slot). I noticed almost immediately, as I moved out of the way for the next customer, then arranged my $ for my wallet. I got the cashier's attention, and told her, because I KNEW this would either get her fired, or she would have to pay it back. And there I went with that little "twinge" again! Jeesh. Most inconvenient times, ya know? Well... the cashier ARGUED with me that she did NOT give me two 100.00 bills, and was all snotty and mean. Of course I didn't push the issue. :CAN YOU IMAGINE?!?!?!

My grocery budget was nicer that month, and I donated double what I usually did to my charity at the time.

And the "twinge" completely went away when the snark from the clerk reached my side of the counter!
#88 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I would only go back if I thought the salesperson would have to pay for it, or would be punished in some way.
yeah that.

I would definitely go back if I got more money back than I should have (say, I got a $20 instead of a $10).

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#89 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM

You know Meg Murry, stealing/not stealing, I really don't care enough to debate it. Either way, I would not be hauling my behind back into that store to willingly give up the loot I just scored! No way no how.

This would be me:

Btw, has everyone taken the Good Person Test? www.goodpersontest.com It's pretty funny.
#90 of 92 Old 10-15-2007, 09:46 PM

i would go back if i was still near the store. i have been known to go back many times, if something was in my bag that was not my item.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page