Prayer Request for SoCal Fires - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They just closed my DD middle school due to air quality. I am hacking today from all the smoke. My house reeks of smoke even with windows closed. Last night my classmate was under voluntary evacuation in East Highlands.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#302 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 04:57 PM

We are down in Tijuana, near Rosarito and are inside here as well.

I am so thankful that we have been able to stay in our house! The patio is full of rust-colored dust and we have smokey-dust and ash coming through our doors and windows, but the air quality indoors feels alright (which is more than I can say for many of our neighbors who don't have "windows" just plastic or cloth!

The fires in Tecate are supposedly moving northeast so that is good for this coastal region, except when the winds are westward.

Just sending out some love to you all in SoCal who are struggling through this sad time.

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#303 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
NCT Staff Writer David Garrick wrote on Oct 24, 2007 11:45 AM:
" According to the city of Escondido, media reports that residents are able to return to Southwest Escondido, including Summercreek, are incorrect. Residents in that region are not expected to be allowed to return until sometime Thursday evening. All evacuated areas in Escondido remain closed until further notice. "

From nctimes.com.

Try the number . . . maybe you'll get good news:

Quote:
NEW: ESCONDIDO RE-ENTRY HOTLINE
10:54 a.m. - Evacuated Escondido residents ONLY can call (760) 839-6262 to find out if they are now being allowed to return to their homes.
#304 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM

We just got home from a friend's house and some errands. The air is fairly clear up here in Murrieta, but it is bad down in Temecula. We went down to the library on Pauba Road, and then to Trader Joe's and I got some pics of the smoke. I'll post them when I get a few minutes.

When I got off the freeway, I could see a new fire from the exit. From the offramp, it looked like it was in the foothills closest to my house, but as we got up towards the house a bit, it looked like it was coming from further north, Elsinore maybe. I called my mom at work, and they found out that it is in Elsinore, in the hills directly above Grand Avenue. One of her coworkers has a son in daycare there, so they are keeping an eye on it. My mom works on the Ortega, so they are worried about a fire creeping up on either side -- that road sucks enough in good conditions.
#305 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM

I'm headed down to TJ's in Temecula in a bit too.....That stinks about Elsinore! Hopefully its a small easy to put out one. I think somone is just doing this on purpose now....20 fires? How can that be? I mean wind and hopping makes sense but in a completely new area? Sigh...

Desiree

#306 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:44 PM

hi, mamas...

just wanted to update that we are home. the backyard is filled with debris and ash, but everything is fine. one of our neighbors, who ended up staying despite the mandatory evac, said that he had never been so scared in his life. he said that at the worst of it, when the fires were getting close to our area there were embers flying through the air.

the drive home today was intense. on the 5 south adjacent to camp pendleton there were some pretty large flames, some of them very close to the san onofre nuclear power plant. yeah, i drove really fast through that section. i did see one spot fire on the WEST side of the 5 in that area, so that probably is the closest that the fire got to the ocean (probably about 100 yards).

air quality seems ok, the sky is blue. wait a second...it WAS blue when i started this post but now it's pretty hazy again. they are NOT kidding when they say that this whole situation is changing minute by minute. i swear the sky was a beautiful blue color and the air was clear 5 minutes ago, and now it's got that smoky cast to it again.

sh!t.

ledzepp, i am thinking of you and my ears perk up everytime i hear something on the radio about the deluz area.

and to all of the other socal mamas. someone mentioned having a get together after all of this is behind us. spectacular idea!

everyone keep checking in, please. thinking of you all.
#307 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 PM

I am glad you made it home! That is excellent news!
#308 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 PM

There's got to be a new one.....huge thick nasty smoke coming up over my hill....I REALLY wish we could get some information for the "smaller" inland valley areas sometimes. That NCtimes is the best I can find....

Desiree

#309 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Does Hemet have a local paper?
#310 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM

Thinking and praying for all you mamas : Keep updating us. (I'm in Long Beach if you want to come over for some tea )

The air quality is so bad here.....it's worse today than yesterday....

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#311 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:38 PM

This is the smoke over us right now....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/...bda9b9b552.jpg

Desiree

#312 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:41 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
nak

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread. My family is evacuated from Lake Arrowhead, and this the first internet access I've had.

My family went to bed Sunday night with no fire and woke up early Monday AM to the Sherrif's bulhorn calling for a mandatory and immediate evacuation. Given that ash was already falling on our heads, we left quickly. By late morning, we'd read news that indicated that our house was lost. Turns out that 2 neighbors (forever to be known as crazy bastard neighbors) did not evacuate and saved our house by putting out spot fires in our forest as fire crews were overwhelmed. We've read subsequent reports that all the homes on our street were gone, but crazy bastard neighbor fed and watered our chickens this afternoon, so we're reasonably sure we have a house to go home to, whenever that may be. What we'll face when we get there is yet to be seen. Our neighborhood is devestated - we live in the Grass Vally area, near where Gov. Arnold toured.

We are unspeakably grateful to our crazy bastard neighbors and all the fire fighting personnel :
#313 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux View Post
nak

Haven't had a chance to read the whole thread. My family is evacuated from Lake Arrowhead, and this the first internet access I've had.

My family went to bed Sunday night with no fire and woke up early Monday AM to the Sherrif's bulhorn calling for a mandatory and immediate evacuation. Given that ash was already falling on our heads, we left quickly. By late morning, we'd read news that indicated that our house was lost. Turns out that 2 neighbors (forever to be known as crazy bastard neighbors) did not evacuate and saved our house by putting out spot fires in our forest as fire crews were overwhelmed. We've read subsequent reports that all the homes on our street were gone, but crazy bastard neighbor fed and watered our chickens this afternoon, so we're reasonably sure we have a house to go home to, whenever that may be. What we'll face when we get there is yet to be seen. Our neighborhood is devestated - we live in the Grass Vally area, near where Gov. Arnold toured.

We are unspeakably grateful to our crazy bastard neighbors and all the fire fighting personnel :
Wow! What wonderful, crazy, bastard neighbors that you have. I'm glad to hear your house (and chickens) seem to be ok.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#314 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
Try the number . . . maybe you'll get good news:
Thanks for that info! We called a bunch of times and finally got through to a recording that said our area is still closed. But I think some spots are opening up, so that's good news.

Kidspiration--I'm so glad you guys got home! I wonder how we'll get all the ash cleaned up . . . I guess it'll take some time. I'm praying for light rain to wash it away, but not enough to cause erosion problems. I had no idea the fire on Pendleton was so close to San Onofre--yowza. Scary.

MomInFlux--Oh my gosh! :Thank goodness for your crazy bastard neighbors! I can't for the life of me understand the people who risk life and limb in the face of unstoppable fires, but I'm glad this particular instance had a positive outcome! I'm so glad to hear that your house is okay, but I'm very sorry for everyone in your area who did not have good news today.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#315 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesireeH View Post
This is the smoke over us right now....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2023/...bda9b9b552.jpg
Wow, crazy!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#316 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux View Post
nak

Hurray for the crazy bastards!!!!

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
#317 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale Force View Post
It looks like a friend of mine in Arrowhead lost her house. She said the fire started this morning at about 0500 when 90 mph winds knocked down a power line and sparks started. By 0530 the house filled with smoke and the woke the children and packed. They got the reverse 911 and a visit from the sheriff and were out by 0700.

They have been told that it is highly unlikely that their house is still standing. They watched neighbor's houses on CNN.

I am thankful they are all OK, just in trauma and devasted of course.
Damn. I'm so sorry for your friend. They must live near to me.
#318 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM

MomInFlux - I am glad it seems like everyhing is ok! Keep us updated!

It is very smoky and dark here. I can hear helicopters and/or planes above us right now.
#319 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM

The smoke cloud is moving up further now. Our backyard, which has been clear and sunny, has started to get smoky. It is yucky out front. I just walked out my front door and you can really smell it now. Luckily we are closed up and I have the upstairs AC running, which is keeping the house cool and the smell out.
#320 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 06:58 PM

i just got word that my cousin was allowed back in her house. she got very lucky the fire was right in her neighborhood.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#321 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post
We are down in Tijuana, near Rosarito and are inside here as well.
I'm glad you're able to stay indoors and avoid some of the smoke! It's amazing how big an area this fire is affecting. Thanks for the kind thoughts!

#322 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM

MomInFlux- wow! what a trip. so good to hear it turned out well.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#323 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 PM

Wow, Brenda, glad you are all ok and that was great of the crazy neighbors too!

Desiree

#324 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:18 PM

I AM so relieved and grateful, but my heart hurts for those who have lost their homes : I have at least one friend who lost a home, and there may be others. Lots of homes on my street and in my neighborhood are gone. The fire was close enough to set my chicken coop on fire (put out by crazy bastard neighbors) and a car we left behind was burned to a crisp. The fire came to our backyard (we live on the national forest boundary) and took a crazy turn to spare our house but threaten a neighbor's home. Their home was saved by the incredible firefighters who are up here.

Hopefully we'll hear soon when we might be allowed to return. Whether the house will be liveable (for 3 small children) due to smoke damage is another question. Power and phone lines are melted; don't know when that infrastructure will be up and running. Ah, well - gotta love a good adventure

How's this for ironic?: My first day back to work from my maternity leave was Monday.
#325 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM

My cousin just called ... our aunt called her and said my "uncle" (aunt's ex-h) drove up to her house for her as she wasn't getting *any* information from authorities. He's in law enforcement or such (can't remember) so he was able to use his badge to get past the barricades and ...

Her house is still standing!!!! He said the fire went right up to the front porch, singed all her plants, destroyed a shed she had, but the house and garage are fine. He said it looked like someone (firefighter) was able to keep water on it while the fire went past because her neighbor above her lost their house and many others were destroyed as well in her "neighborhood" - she's rural but in "development" if that makes sense. Oh I am so happy for her. I can't imagine the loss of so many, but so relieved that she has her home still. (It's very hard to be so happy knowing so, so many have lost homes ... it's very bittersweet.)

#326 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 PM

Here are some pics from today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinkerb...7602676447428/

DD's school just called, all of the schools in Temecula Valley School District are closed tomorrow.
#327 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 PM

hey there Stephanie,
so there are new fires in our area? my cable went out this morning so i have no news coverage (not that we usually get any coverage out here!) . but i see the big clouds of smoke heading towards me! any updates? i know there was one in Wildomar...
#328 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
Here are some pics from today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tinkerb...7602676447428/

DD's school just called, all of the schools in Temecula Valley School District are closed tomorrow.
Those pictures are just amazing ... the smoke looks so intense ... how far are you from the actual fires?

#329 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmom View Post
hey there Stephanie,
so there are new fires in our area? my cable went out this morning so i have no news coverage (not that we usually get any coverage out here!) . but i see the big clouds of smoke heading towards me! any updates? i know there was one in Wildomar...
I have heard conflicting reports on the Wildomar fire. I have heard that it is out, and I have heard that it is still burning and threatening structures, so I am not sure.

My mom says that the Lake Elsinore fire is out. I checked with the websites for Temecula and Murrieta, and they both say that Temecula and Murrieta are still not in danger. I can still hear lots of planes and helicopters.

According to channel 27, there are NO evacuations anywhere in Riverside county, even though there have been rumors of evacuations in Southeastern Temecula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Those pictures are just amazing ... the smoke looks so intense ... how far are you from the actual fires?
We are probably a way's off. Depending on the fire, 10-30 miles as the crow flies, but if I were to actually drive to where any of the fires are, it would be a bit farther because of the way the roads have to go around hills and mountains and stuff.

It is starting to get smoky in the house, so I am about to turn on the downstairs AC. DD just opened the door, which really didn't help.

DD and the cats are going nuts because they all want to go outside. DD is starting to get really loud as she runs around and burns off all of this extra energy. Her preschool just called to tell us that they are closed tomorrow. All schools in the Temecula Valley school district are closed tomorrow due to poor air quality.

That's about all I know for right now!
#330 of 375 Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My parents went home today. (Poway) The air is kinda yucky but their neighbourhood was untouched. They were running their air filters like crazy. They say it's so nice to be home, even though it's hot and smokey.

Mom to 2 beautiful autistic boys (12 & 11)  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page