Prayer Request for SoCal Fires - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 375 Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope everyone and their famiies are ok. I wish there was something I could do to help!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#362 of 375 Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 PM

I just wanted to pass along some info if you or someone you know has been affected by the fires...

any displaced families can go to the salvation army thrift stores and receive what they need for free.

The rancho community church in Temecula of the 79 south is a main red cross donation center. They are accepting new unopened items such as toiletries, under garments, bottled water, and such. I spoke to the coordinator today and she said that they have gotten a lot of requests for ear plugs and eye masks! (it's kind of hard to get a good nights sleep in a gym with a hundred other people!)

They also need things like socks, bras and underwear especially.
#363 of 375 Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysunshine View Post
ledzepplon, I'm so glad your house is okay. I used to live in that general vicinity (twice actually) and that is so scary.

I'm contacting the mama I mentioned who lost her home and farm to see if she's okay with me giving out her name. I'll let you know when I hear from her (via pm though).

We actually opened the windows late this afternoon as the smell was almost gone. It gets worse in the mornings though. But we don't have a/c and it's been 87-88 in our house this week. Horrible, but I'm not complaining. At least my home and family are safe.
Thanks! If the mama you know who lost her house needs anything, we are so willing to pass on our good fortune. I don't know how old her kids are, but I have TONS of baby and small kid items like toys, clothes, extra slings, etc. Please let me know if there is anything she needs and we'll help make it happen.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#364 of 375 Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
We took a drive, and then headed to Chick Fil A because they have an indoor playground. We were there for about an hour, and by the time we left, it was starting to get smoky inside the restaurant.
I'm laughing because we went to Chik-fil-A last night, too! Not the same one, though--we went to the one in San Marcos. When we got back to our house I discovered that our refrigerator died while we were gone and all of our food had spoiled. I guess either we had a power surge or it's just dumb luck.

This morning the air here actually seems a little better outside. We're lucky because we have a good air purifier running in the house. Ironically, we bought it after the last wildfires we had four years ago. Most of the house is smelling a bit better (or else we're getting used to it!), but the laundry room and garage reek like an ashtray. I can only imagine how it must be for the people down the road who were closer to the fire.

Kidspriration--How is it going with the donations? I need to get some things together to donate, too. Did you guys come up with any other items people are really wanting?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#365 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
Thanks! If the mama you know who lost her house needs anything, we are so willing to pass on our good fortune. I don't know how old her kids are, but I have TONS of baby and small kid items like toys, clothes, extra slings, etc. Please let me know if there is anything she needs and we'll help make it happen.
Thank you for the offer of help for her. She needs boys clothing, in size 3T and 10 (both slim and husky), so it looks like all bigger then your kiddos (and my boy) unfortunately. Her older 2 are into legos/ Harry Potter books (I have #1, 3, and 4 to give her, but the rest were missing from DH's old class library ???) and her youngest likes Thomas stuff. Those are the basics for now. PM me if you have any of those items and we can work something out. Thanks again for being so generous!
#366 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy View Post
whereabouts do you live? didnt realize we're neighbors
didn't get to post earlier, we had to leave monday morning. I'm in RB :

We're going back tomorrow.
#367 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 01:16 AM

I have friends in San Diego but they are ok. The whole thing is so sad. Makes me wonder what is happening in the world.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#368 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 06:24 PM

It just started sprinkling here YEA!!!! I hope it helps removed some of the ash floating around here.
BTW, I did contact our area about the LLL leader that lost her home & farm. International knows as well. Aparently there is some funding available for them. Just thought I would share.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#369 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 06:52 PM

It started sprinkling here about an hour ago. It smelled pretty smoky all morning, but the bit of rainfall has really cleared the air.
#370 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky View Post

Do you know if your house is ok?
#371 of 375 Old 10-27-2007, 09:18 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky View Post

You ok?

We're on day 7 of evacuation with no end in sight : So it's Disneyland tomorrow and Monday
#372 of 375 Old 10-28-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux View Post
You ok?

We're on day 7 of evacuation with no end in sight : So it's Disneyland tomorrow and Monday
No one has let you know when you might be able to go back? I'm so sorry. But, have fun at Disneyland.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#373 of 375 Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
Do you know if your house is ok?
it's fine, but the hills in the background of the elementary school now look like war remains :
#374 of 375 Old 10-31-2007, 12:31 AM

MomInFlux, are you home yet? We were at Disneyland yesterday, maybe we saw each other and didn't know it!

If anyone is interested, I will start a thread soon over in FYT. Maybe we could plan a get together for everyone on this thread. It would be nice to put faces to names and meet some of the people who went through all of this together.

Let's wait until we know everyone is home safe and sound, and then I will start a thread and we can all put our heads together and figure out a central meeting place for everyone.
#375 of 375 Old 10-31-2007, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInFlux View Post
You ok?

Hope you have a great time-will you be taking your crazy bastard neighbor?

huggerwocky, so glad everything is ok.

Glad everyone seems to be ok here-we spent last week in Anaheim (so surreal to be at Disney with all of this going on) and were kept updated by neighbors. We had to evacuate in 2003, and reverse 911s were sent out this time around, I was told-somehow I think it was best we weren't at home. I would have been going into major fret mode-nothing worse than wondering if you should stay or go. To everyone who did evacuate (twice even!) I hope you get some good rest! If anyone needs anything, please say-would be happy to help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page