Great. Now I'm THAT neighbor. - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

#61 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz925 View Post
I would say you keep on doing what works for you. Check with your town about noise ordinances, but I doubt there is a rule against noises during the day.
But the note is informing her that what she is doing actually is illegal as well as rude.

: Deirdre & the boys ('02 & '06 vintage)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 01:23 PM

I will weigh in with a completely different response. It's not a big deal. OP did something annoying which she can easily stop. The note wasn't terrible. There are a variety of ways people choose to handle issues with neighbors. There are far worse ways of communicating than a note. In the grand scheme of life, it doesn't matter much at all. She stops honking, neighbor is content. The end.
#63 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em T View Post
I will weigh in with a completely different response. It's not a big deal. OP did something annoying which she can easily stop. The note wasn't terrible. There are a variety of ways people choose to handle issues with neighbors. There are far worse ways of communicating than a note. In the grand scheme of life, it doesn't matter much at all. She stops honking, neighbor is content. The end.
Well duh. But then what would we talk about?
Oh! I have a good public school gripe. Real good. I may be sueing them.
I don't think the mods will let me post that HERE though. But it's WAY better than this story. And there dosen't seem to be a resolution- it actually mets your criteria!
I don't want to get in trouble with the mods again for posting in the wrong section.
Maybe I could post it here, and all my TAO peeps could run over to the school forums?
How can I disguise a thread relating to the public school so that it fits under Talk Amonst Ourselves? I've been thinking on this for two days and haven't come up with anything.
Please advise.
#64 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillkuster View Post
Ha! Honkings rude my ass then.
(And, this general "you" IS lazy in the morning, but even more over, If I get out of the car to go into the house for her then Ezra starts crying thinking I'm leaving him. And general you is WAY to lazy to unload him, run into the house and then put him back in his carseat. Way too lazy. Beep Beep.)
I laughed so hard I almost choked on my coffee:

I feel your pain though our neighbor got upset because my husband leaving for work at 4:30 am disturbs her beauty rest: She is a crazy old bat though
#65 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 02:02 PM

do you have a cell phone?

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
#66 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
In all seriousness though, I felt really bad after reading his letter. I know I should be able to move on, but it sat with me in a way that left me feeling all of my failures.
It's nice to be able to hear other people's perspective and to add some light to it. I know it's not much of a crisis, but it did leave me feeling sorta bleak. Talking about it is helpful in that way.
#67 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Amira View Post
do you have a cell phone?
Yes, but only one, and no home phone.
I got out of the car today and told her IN PERSON that I was ready to go. You'd of been so proud.
For the last five days Ezra hasn't slept. He will sleep for maybe 15 min. a shot and then he's up again. I literally didn't go to bed last night.
This morning while I was in the driveway I had these awful visions of someone bumping the horn while they crawled through the front seat into the back- or worse yet, me just autohonking due to delirum.
Woulda made a great update!:
#68 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Jillkuster, maybe this story will make yours seem less traumatic. Years ago on a Sunday morning I was going to church. Husband & one daughter were in the house asleep. I got in the car, looked behind me to be sure there was nothing in the driveway & my horn started honking. I hadn't begun to back up yet. Turned around thinking huh, how could I have hit the horn with my elbow & it just goes on & on & on. Husband & daughter came out to the front porch snarling "WHAT do you want?". New neighbors from next door came out too, a gay couple both wearing jockey shorts hollering "Lady! Some people are trying to sleep!". The horn had just gone haywire by itself, husband had to jerk the wires loose to shut it off. At least you weren't bothering people on a weekend!
#69 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
The children are supposed to say on the sidewalk, if they are hanging out in your yard you can call the school and get the bus stop moved.
No sidewalk for them to stay on. I truly don't mind the kids in my yard. It's just the darn UA violation dog barking all. the. time.
#70 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Jillkuster, maybe this story will make yours seem less traumatic. Years ago on a Sunday morning I was going to church. Husband & one daughter were in the house asleep. I got in the car, looked behind me to be sure there was nothing in the driveway & my horn started honking. I hadn't begun to back up yet. Turned around thinking huh, how could I have hit the horn with my elbow & it just goes on & on & on. Husband & daughter came out to the front porch snarling "WHAT do you want?". New neighbors from next door came out too, a gay couple both wearing jockey shorts hollering "Lady! Some people are trying to sleep!". The horn had just gone haywire by itself, husband had to jerk the wires loose to shut it off. At least you weren't bothering people on a weekend!
In college once in the middle of the night (1am?) my housemate and I were studying and all of a sudden a car horn went off and kept going off. We were both staring out the window trying to figure out who's car it was cause it was so annoying. Finally after about 30 seconds we just went outside to find the car, and it turns out it was my car :

something went wrong in the wiring, or something?? Luckily my housemate knew a little bit about cars and he found the right wire and just unplugged the darn thing. I was SO EMBARASSED and I felt really bad. I know our across-the-street neighbors had a little girl and on the other side were some students on crew that had to get up around 4.30am for practice. I baked cookies for everyone the next day to apologize. I never did get the horn fixed :P

jog.gif:bikenew.gif// knit.gif:reading.gif:notes2.gif // cat.gif:cat.gif 

Our precious baby girl is coming to turn our world upside down in January 2014!

#71 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Just gotta ask: How is it relevant to this story that the neighbors are gay? Would you have written, "a straight couple wearing underwear"?
#72 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikel1979 View Post
No sidewalk for them to stay on. I truly don't mind the kids in my yard. It's just the darn UA violation dog barking all. the. time.
ah, gotcha. I had a bus stop moved because the kids wouldn't stay off of my lawn, and they were turning it into a mud pit. They were also cutting across the corner (corner lot) and wearing a path through it. Being on a corner lot, it was against city regs for me to put up a fence . I wouldn't have minded them being there so much if I could have put up a cute little picket fence or something to keep them off the vegetation, lol.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
#73 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonahsmom View Post
Just gotta ask: How is it relevant to this story that the neighbors are gay? Would you have written, "a straight couple wearing underwear"?
I think it's relevant because it would be strange for a straight couple to both be wearing jockey shorts. She didn't want us to think the neighbours were perverts!

Twin Boys born August 16, 2014
#74 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
How can I disguise a thread relating to the public school so that it fits under Talk Amonst Ourselves? I've been thinking on this for two days and haven't come up with anything.
Please advise.
How about, say, posting in the school forum?
#75 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 06:43 PM

I would send a note back saying "Thanks for informing me of the laws regarding car horns. I will no longer be using mine to alert my child."
I would then go out and get the loudest whistle I could find and use that everyday. But I'm kinda mean sometimes.

Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker. - Linus
#76 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
How about, say, posting in the school forum?
Hey. What are you doing here?
#77 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Hey. What are you doing here?
Look at her post count - Irishmommy is EVERYWHERE (yes, be afraid).
#78 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

OMG. Ariah just read this thread and said "You've ALWAYS been that neighbor.": Gee. Thanks kid.
#79 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Ha! Honkings rude my ass then.
(And, this general "you" IS lazy in the morning, but even more over, If I get out of the car to go into the house for her then Ezra starts crying thinking I'm leaving him. And general you is WAY to lazy to unload him, run into the house and then put him back in his carseat. Way too lazy. Beep Beep.)
laughup Baaaha ha ha!! :
I need to come to TAO more often. This thread is great.
#80 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
Yeah in our town if you're even remotely loud after 10pm you get mega fines. And that includes dogs barking. : I don't like dogs barking, I'll admit that... but how in the HECK do you try and teach a dog to not bark after 10pm... ya know? The logic of that eludes me.:
In our old neighborhood, you supposedly could get a ticket for loud noise after 8 PM, but if your neighbor called the cops on you 3 times before 8 PM you could still get a ticket. I had quite an interesting conversation with an officer about why it was that my neighbor could be an asshole and I could get the ticket without violating the law, and whether he really wanted to come back every weekend for the three phone call neighborhood war.

for intuitive readings click here :
#81 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post
Well, I'm going to disagree with just about everyone else. I think a short note is a great way for your neighbor to deal with the situation. Its unemotional and he can avoid the risk of getting angry while talking to you and escalating the situation. The note was short, sweet and to the point. Really, what is wrong with that?
I'm with you. The note was polite and direct. It may not be exactly the way the OP would have written it herself (it sounds like you'd have liked him to be...more rude?), but is that so surprising? It doesn't seem passive aggressive to me either. Quite the opposite.

Now, if I were the recipient of such a note, I would probably be embarrassed and a little angry, mostly because I don't like others telling me what to do, even if they're right...
#82 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
ah, gotcha. I had a bus stop moved because the kids wouldn't stay off of my lawn, and they were turning it into a mud pit. They were also cutting across the corner (corner lot) and wearing a path through it. Being on a corner lot, it was against city regs for me to put up a fence . I wouldn't have minded them being there so much if I could have put up a cute little picket fence or something to keep them off the vegetation, lol.
If we had some sort of flowers or anything near the front, I might care. The flower bed's right up under the window though, so they keep out. With the drought we had, all we've got is dead grass out near the road.
#83 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes View Post
In our old neighborhood, you supposedly could get a ticket for loud noise after 8 PM, but if your neighbor called the cops on you 3 times before 8 PM you could still get a ticket. I had quite an interesting conversation with an officer about why it was that my neighbor could be an asshole and I could get the ticket without violating the law, and whether he really wanted to come back every weekend for the three phone call neighborhood war.
omg!! That is ridiculous!! Yep- definitely grounds to start a neighborhood phone war. .

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#84 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 10:04 PM

I'd pull into his driveway at 7am and lay on the horn. When he came out, I'd wave and drive away. :

Jenn
#85 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh! Oh! What'd you let your kid do?
Well, I wasn't going to say because I would place myself in position where I was open to lectures from people telling me exactly why what I did was wrong and why I was insensitive to the needs of others. And I wasn't in the mood for that. But I guess that isn't very growth oriented of me, is it?

So I just wanted you to know I could empathize with you in this situation even though I actually don't interpret the note as that bad. It actually seems more like a sign of nervousness, like he was really overthinking why he would have a problem with the horn and was it right of him to feel that way. Yeah, I'm projecting. Oh, but yeah, the part about the state law would have bugged me, and kind of colors the whole thing.

But anyway, OK, what I did was allow my 4 year old to be in an area where dogs off of leashes could approach her, and it was the women with the dogs who weren't on leashes who were walking towards their car and thus towards my daughter who said it. My daughter did seem to be deliberately strolling towards and lingering at a place where she could get a better look at the dogs, but the women kept moving towards her too. I was just thinking that I should get her away because the dogs could get at her and I don't want her to think it is fine to go up to dogs without permission (I reiterate this when we see a dog and ask the owner if it's OK to pet the dog or whatever) when they said that. It wasn't really about who was in the right or wrong, it was the tone of voice and way they said it that really upset me, but then I realized I'm not always the bad one, which is how I feel. Anyway...
#86 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 PM

I find this thread hillarious!
#87 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 PM

I used my neighbor's Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am as my alarm clock for a year. He started that thing every morning at 6:30.

The neighbor I share a wall with will not only confront me at the mailboxes, he will leave voice mails about hypothetical situations. I checked my voice mail recently and he states: " you know how you have plants...well if you water your plants and the water drips down at the same time someone walks out of the apartment below you, then you might drip water on their head"...so at the mailbox I say "No one has lived below me for over a year, and of course I am not so disrespectful that if someone was there that I would water my plants. By the way the water drips onto the parking lot...there is more water right now because it is raining"...

BIG MISTAKE. He proceeds to YELL at me over a hypotheticasl situation, he doesn't even live below me, no one lives below me, and the water does drip a little onto the parking lot occasionally...BIG DEAL.

I could go on but I will stop. I would prefer a note though.
#88 of 125 Old 10-25-2007, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
omg!! That is ridiculous!! Yep- definitely grounds to start a neighborhood phone war. .
The joke's on them. I moved to Hawaii and they now have a Walmart/starbucks/jamba juice complex down the street that added 40 minutes to their commute. e got out just in time and can't hear our neighbors at all now. We had one more party to say aloha! I shouldn't gloat, but it's kind of funny.
It was ridiculous. The music wasn't loud, it was 7PM, and we always tried to be respectful of our neighbors and have our friends park in our driveway/in front of our house so they didn't take up the whole street with their cars. Meanwhile, every Sunday our neighbors would have company that lined both sides of the street with their vehicles. I have never called the police on a neighbor for noise until right before I moved from there, because of loud music at 11PM, interestingly enough. Even then, I only called because the windows were closed and the heater on, and I could still hear their music inside my house very loudly, which is pretty extreme.

#89 of 125 Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

But anyway, OK, what I did was allow my 4 year old to be in an area where dogs off of leashes could approach her.

#90 of 125 Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
But anyway, OK, what I did was allow my 4 year old to be in an area where dogs off of leashes could approach her.

Um yeah, cuz everyone knows it's the kids who should be on leashes and not the dogs.

People kill me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page