Jury duty? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got a summons for jury duty today. My first one! I normally wouldn't mind serving but it's just not gonna happen right now. The letter said I could be excused if I had custody of children under 7 and could provide an affidavit saying I couldn't find childcare for them.

I have a 6yo we homeschool, a 3yo and a 4 week old who eclusively nurses. I'm thinking the baby alone will get my out of it but there isn't anyone who can watch my other two. And even if I paid some stranger to "watch" them there isn't anyone who would homeschool my oldest during that week so that would be a week of school missed for him. We have to keep track of "attendance" in SC.

Should I be worried about not be excused? How should I word the form I have to send them so they understand I just can't do it? I really wouldn't mind if the circumstances were different!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 02:49 AM

I just got out of jury duty for this reason. Just word it so it matches the reasons the give you to get out of it............like, mine say that I'm "obligated to provide unpaid care for a minor when there is no other reasonable option", so I just basically said "I am obligated to care for my own children during normal business hours and we have no other reasonable alternative" and I got excused.
#3 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've gotten excused for the same reason. I homeschool my 6yo and at the time I had a nursling. I don't think the homeschool alone would have been enough, but the nursing baby was important enough to let me stay home with him.

#4 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 03:03 AM

It should be a piece of cake for you to get excused. In most states moms of non school aged children can be granted an extension without any problems.
#5 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 03:15 AM

If you have a wee nurser I think you'll be excused pretty easily. I was excused a few times with older kids even. I never served until just earlier this year and it was so cool!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 10:35 AM

I called first before i sent in my summons. The woman excused me over the phone for a few years. Try that first. It shouldnt be a problem.
#7 of 7 Old 11-10-2007, 11:05 AM

I just got my FOURTH jury summons in about 12 years. : I used to be able to claim exemption b/c of my SAHM status, but now they are not giving any exemptions at all. I have a young child with diabetes, I need to be on call for her 24/7! The courthouse is 15 miles from my house, what if I didn't have a car?

I am royally pissed off. I have to cancel a doctor's appt (one that has already been re-scheduled once from mid-October, I'll be lucky if I see her before Christmas) and my kids' parent-teacher conferences.

I honestly have no problem serving on a jury - when my kids are grown. Right now, though - I an loathing on the justice system.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page