Am I over reacting here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK sometimes I think I over react to things. I guess everyone does occasionally, right? Here is the story:

I was in the kitchen cleaning with dd. I was wiping off the counter, had a pair of rubber gloves on, and felt OUCCHHH!!?!?!? I looked down and saw the glove had a large cut on the palm of the glove. My hand it really smarting and I look and sure enough my hand is cut. I go over to the sink to run cold water over it but cant see how bad it really is cause I am bleeding like a stuck pig.

So I tell dd 7yo to go tell dh that I need him to come there. She goes and tells him but since he is busy watching TV he doesn't want to come. OK that doesn't bother me so much I can see myself doing that. So I tell dd to go back and tell dh that I was bleeding. At that point I expect him to get up and come check on me because if dd told me he was bleeding I would have hopped up and went and checked on him.

But does he come, no he doesn't he hollers out "Are you OK, what happened?" I refuse to yell back because I have been sick and my throat gets irritated easy I am very hoarse. I tell dd to go get me a towel and when she brings it to me he yells out again "Do you need me?". I at this point am crying and pissed and yell back "No I don't need you" : He hears the tone of my voice and that I am crying then decides humm maybe I should go check on her. :

I could have been passed out in the floor for all he knew. I show him my hand which by this point has stopped bleeding bad enough I can see that it is a bad cut but it isn't super deep and will be OK with a bandage. There was a large piece of glass between the stove and counter and I of course didn't notice it. I am actually lucky it isn't way worse than it is.

When he comes in I tell him to go away I don't need him now. And He gets pissed at me because I am pissed at him : starts hollering about how he didn't know if I needed him or not. HELLO!!!! dd came and told you I was bleeding that right there was grounds enough to come check on me right?

He still doesn't get how come I am upset with him.

So do I have a right to be upset and hurt that he didn't feel like a bleeding wife was enough to come and check on?

What do you all think? Please be honest I can take it

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#2 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Wow, that's a doozy. Why do men do stuff like that? Obviously, you needed him right then. He owes you big time!

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

#3 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 AM

I'd be really pissed.
#4 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:27 AM

Yeah, he wins the Captain Clueless award for the night.

Why exactly did he think you were sending your daughter out to relay the message that you were bleeding to him?
#5 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:28 AM

I would be pretty darn pissed. Im sorry you hurt yourself
#6 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:28 AM

I don't think you are over reacting.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#7 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
you just reminded me of my new favorite phrase for these situations.

"somebody needs to smack him in the head with a clue by four"
#8 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 AM

I tripped going up the stairs once, he was already in bed and when I yelled out he just laughed. I was so annoyed, but he said he didn't think I was really that hurt. Sometimes I remind of it, though.

Sometimes people just don't have a clue.
#9 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 AM

Quote:

Why exactly did he think you were sending your daughter out to relay the message that you were bleeding to him?
:
#10 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 AM

Yes you should be angry. I fell and was in so much pain that I couldn't asnwer my husband when he yelled asking if I was okay. I not so nicely told him that if he heard a huge clatter and then silence her should come check. Duh!
#11 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
you just reminded me of my new favorite phrase for these situations.

"somebody needs to smack him in the head with a clue by four"
I can't comment further on the vagaries of the male gender without committing a UA violation, but no, you're not overreacting.
#12 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 AM

yep. I vote captain clueless too.
musta gone to the same school as my dp. btdt too many times.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#13 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 AM

I'm with you, mama, I would have been PO'd!!!!!!!!

I hope your hand feels better.
#14 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:46 AM

YUp I would have been pissed. Was it football on tv? I'm about ready to shove a football down my husband's throat.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#15 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:52 AM

Nope, you're not over reacting. That was pretty ding dang dumb on his part.

I'm thankful my DH is an EMT so if he hears the word 'blood' he jumps into Rescue Mode and would come help me.

Unless he's asleep of course. my WATER BROKE with my DD and I come out of the bathroom and say "Josh, my water broke." he says "Okay." and went back to sleep...keep in mind it was 4:00pm not night time. So I say again "JOSH. My WATER. JUST. BROKE." and he says "Are you sure?" Ummm...duh

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#16 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 AM

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#17 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 AM

Actually, I think it depends on you. Be honest are you a drama queen? My husband would have come rushing because I don't get hurt. I, on the other hand, would have taken my time getting to him because everything is a big deal when he gets hurt. Sorry you hurt your hand.
#18 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have no idea what went through his brain when dd told him. He said something about how knowing how dd is about saying things he didnt think it was important. But the thing is dd dosnt just come up with things like that and I know he heard me tell her since the kitchen is close to the living room just cant see in there from here.

It wasnt football on not exactly sure what it was.

And he cant figure out why I am not all into giving him some lovin' : :

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#19 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:08 AM

Another vote for you are not overreacting. we all need tlc esp. when we get hurt.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
#20 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
Actually, I think it depends on you. Be honest are you a drama queen?
I am not a drama queen 99% of the time. We all have our moments tho right?

I am the type when I get hurt I dont make much of it usually. To the point that the day after giving birth he would ask me to do stuff I had no bussiness doing because he wasnt aware of how I still felt.

Years ago when we got married he would have ran in right away but as the years have passed he dosnt seem to worry so much.

#21 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Amira View Post
Another vote for you are not overreacting. we all need tlc esp. when we get hurt.
:

Sorry your hand got such a nasty cut. That must have hurt!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#22 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 AM

I don't think you were overreacting at all.

Angel , wife to Daniel :, mama to Astrid Lilith (11/01/06) and Leland Hunter (09/07/09)
#23 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:27 AM

I would have ripped my hubby a new one, but thats me.
I dont think you over reacted. If someone says someone is BLEEDING you need to get your bum into gear and go make sure everything is ok.

I would just explain to him why you are upset and make up.
Communication is the key.

Hope your hand heals fast.
#24 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:28 AM

I'd be very upset too. for you!
#25 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:29 AM

uh yeh......id be pissed. all i have to do is yell "huney, i need you!" and he comes running.
#26 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMama View Post
Nope, you're not over reacting. That was pretty ding dang dumb on his part.

I'm thankful my DH is an EMT so if he hears the word 'blood' he jumps into Rescue Mode and would come help me.

Unless he's asleep of course. my WATER BROKE with my DD and I come out of the bathroom and say "Josh, my water broke." he says "Okay." and went back to sleep...keep in mind it was 4:00pm not night time. So I say again "JOSH. My WATER. JUST. BROKE." and he says "Are you sure?" Ummm...duh

Almost the exact same thing my DH said in the same situation (although 2 am.) He said, "are you sure?" followed by, "um...call the Doctor." Because you know, we are living in the Old West where the doctor makes housecalls to deliver babies.

To the OP-situations like this DH & I refer to as the "chips being down" from an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond.
#27 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:40 AM

I don't think you over reacted...I would want my dh to come right away too if one of the kids went and told him I was bleeding.
#28 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 01:53 AM

I think you could have hanled it all on your own, with a little hlp from your dd - and you did.

I would have done what you did, minus calling for dh and if, after the bleeding slowed down, assessed whether it was bad enough to require stitches. Then if it looked like I needed stitches I would have got h and asked him to watc hdd while I went to the ER or doctor's office.
#29 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 AM

Nah, you didn't overreact at all. I do think your DH and mine must be brothers though... my DH does the same thing. Makes me so angry!
#30 of 47 Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty Diva View Post
I think you could have hanled it all on your own, with a little hlp from your dd - and you did.

I would have done what you did, minus calling for dh and if, after the bleeding slowed down, assessed whether it was bad enough to require stitches. Then if it looked like I needed stitches I would have got h and asked him to watc hdd while I went to the ER or doctor's office.
Yes looking back on it I could have handled it. But in the past I have gotten a tad woozy when dealing with blood. It hasnt happened but a time or 2 but when it does it is unexpected.

Would have been nice to know he was there in case I did go down for nothing else than to make sure I didnt land on a kid.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page