My blood is boiling right now! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do not know what to do right now. My son, who is ten, just got back from a weekend at his bio mom's house. A bit of background: We (DH and I) are Luke's legal guardians and have been for the last 5 years. His mom sees him every few weeks. In July she had a baby girl. His biomom lives with her boyfriend.

E (Luke's mom) had to work all day today so Luke was with the boyfriend and the boyfriend's 3 yo son. Luke came in the door and looked really upset. It took a few minutes to get the story out of him, by which time Luke was bawling. He told me this:

"N was crying really hard in her carseat and J kept reaching back and shaking the seat really hard. She was full of spit and choking on it and he just kept yelling at her and me and shaking her seat. I think he's going to kill her and don't want my sister to die!"

I calmed him down, even though I was shaking inside, and went upstairs to call Luke's mom at work. I told her everything and she said, "Oh, sometimes we rock her carseat to get her back to sleep." I explained that didn't jive with what my very articulate son said but she totally blew me off.

Wtf do I do?! He is so sensitive to babies and when they are upset.

On a seperate, no less disturbing note...my son handed me 2 bucks and asked to put it in his wallet. I asked him where he got it. Ya ready for this? The boyfriend made Lucas and a 3 yo go outside in the freezing cold to "play" and while out there some random guy tells my son to help him carry groceries into his house and he'll pay him!! And my son went! Into a strange man's home. Alone. While the grownup who is supposed to be watching him is on the third floor of the apartment complex totally out of sight and sound.

I have already decided Luke will not be over there when his mom is working. But I feel like I need to do soooo much more.
#2 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 06:31 PM

I would tell the mom your fears/concerns and see what she does.
#3 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM

I'd bug the hell out of her until she "gets" that he's not exaggerating. She's blowing it off cause she doesn't want to deal with it - make her.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#4 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
First of all, document everything! Even if you decide not to take any kind of action now, if you ever end up in court it's helpful to have a record of everything that goes on.

I'd be very worried about that baby as well as the 3yo who lives with them. This sounds like abuse and potential neglect (I'm not sure if it's technically neglect if the 3yo was outside in the "care" of a 10yo). It's well within your rights as legal guardians to say that it's not acceptable for your particular 10yo to be outside alone.

I think this would be an appropriate time to call CPS. At the very least, you could use this as a reason to stop allowing her unsupervised visits with your DS. At the most, you could save this baby's life.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
First of all, document everything! Even if you decide not to take any kind of action now, if you ever end up in court it's helpful to have a record of everything that goes on.

I'd be very worried about that baby as well as the 3yo who lives with them. This sounds like abuse and potential neglect (I'm not sure if it's technically neglect if the 3yo was outside in the "care" of a 10yo). It's well within your rights as legal guardians to say that it's not acceptable for your particular 10yo to be outside alone.

I think this would be an appropriate time to call CPS. At the very least, you could use this as a reason to stop allowing her unsupervised visits with your DS. At the most, you could save this baby's life.
: absolutely. I'm worried about the baby as well. I'd call.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#6 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 PM

Oh. Hell. No! I'd call in a heartbeat. If you truly beleive your son, it's worth a call to cps. It could save the baby's life.

:
#7 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMommyNiceNice View Post
Oh. Hell. No! I'd call in a heartbeat. If you truly beleive your son, it's worth a call to cps. It could save the baby's life.

:
I totally agree!

And how absolutely terrible for your son to witness that! :

mom to sam arlo (5), olive loretta (3)....and twin girls Annie and Ramona Jean, born 3/10.

#8 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 08:26 PM

I agree w/the PP who have said to call CPS. That baby's life could very well be in danger, as well as the 3yo : Your poor DS, what a horrible thing for him to witness, nevermind the fact that he was unsupervised and could have been abducted or hurt by a stranger : Thank goodness that man wasn't dangerous, but even a 10yo shouldn't be expected to have the judgement to say no to an adult person asking for help carrying groceries. Your DS sounds like a very sweet, sensitive soul

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#9 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 PM

I'm as anti-CPS as they come - *I* would call. For sure. The mental image that gave me is horrifying. Please call them before that poor little girl is hurt, or worse. :

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#10 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 PM

I'm left wondering how much shaking is really required for Shaken Baby Syndrome. How awful for your son.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#11 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:14 PM

I think that I would have to place a call into CPS if he is shaking the baby to quiet here and the mother doesnt see anything wrong with it/doesnt want to make an effort to fix the situation.
#12 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 PM

#13 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
I'm as anti-CPS as they come - *I* would call. For sure. The mental image that gave me is horrifying. Please call them before that poor little girl is hurt, or worse. :

while usually CPS totally rubs me the wrong way - i'd call in a heartbeat.

~Kris mama to Alexis (15), Elizabeth (10), Andrew (7), and 1 angel
#14 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:45 PM

oh my... i would call . sounds like a bad situation for all the kids

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#15 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
:

On a side note: it sounds like your 10 year old son and my 10 year old son are cut from the same cloth. Too bad we don't live near one another
#16 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post

Oooh, this burns me up. Not you, but the fact that Luke has been left "in charge" of the 3 yo before in situations I don't feel comfortable with. He's an immature little boy with a little boy's brain. I don't leave him alone by himslef let alone a preschooler. I talked it over with DH and we have agreed that if mom wants to see him she can come here. I do not trust her to supervise and this boyfriend obvioulsy makes my son uncomfortable.
#17 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Let me take a moment to sound so horrible and selfish and terrible. I hate myself for even thinking this way...but....

I'm scared to call DCF because I am scared of retaliation. I'm worried that E will know it was me (how could she not) and that will cause her to challenge our guardianship. We have spent 5 years letting her get away with a lot of crap just to avoid rocking the boat. She's never really done anything to endanger Lucas, but she's toed the line of what I would call responsible parenting. Ugh. I feel like total crap for even thinking of putting myself before a three month old baby.
#18 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
I'd bug the hell out of her until she "gets" that he's not exaggerating. She's blowing it off cause she doesn't want to deal with it - make her.
Ditto!
#19 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBirthMama View Post
Ok. Let me take a moment to sound so horrible and selfish and terrible. I hate myself for even thinking this way...but....

I'm scared to call DCF because I am scared of retaliation. I'm worried that E will know it was me (how could she not) and that will cause her to challenge our guardianship. We have spent 5 years letting her get away with a lot of crap just to avoid rocking the boat. She's never really done anything to endanger Lucas, but she's toed the line of what I would call responsible parenting. Ugh. I feel like total crap for even thinking of putting myself before a three month old baby.
Im so sorry you are having to deal with this... What a horrible situation you are in. I am sure you will make the right choice for your family.
#20 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 11:21 PM

What a horrible position to be in, LotusBirthMama... some food for thought though...

I'm a NICU nurse and occasionally when the NICU is overstaffed we get "floated" and work in the general pediatric acute care floor, last time I was there 2 out of my 3 patients were there for shaken baby syndrome. We're talking MRIs, seizure medications, permanent brain damage. As a NICU nurse who sees plenty of babies who end up with brain damage due to prematurity and genetic abnormalities-- things that are difficult to prevent, it just kills me to see beautiful perfect babies who were fine until one of their caretakers lost control and hurt them.

And, even though she could retaliate, it could also help your case to have a history of neglect (because leaving her kids in the care of *that* man is neglect, if not outright abuse) already on the books.

Really, and I hear your fear, but it sounds like you need to call. This is your son's sister, afterall.
#21 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievium View Post
What a horrible position to be in, LotusBirthMama... some food for thought though...

I'm a NICU nurse and occasionally when the NICU is overstaffed we get "floated" and work in the general pediatric acute care floor, last time I was there 2 out of my 3 patients were there for shaken baby syndrome. We're talking MRIs, seizure medications, permanent brain damage. As a NICU nurse who sees plenty of babies who end up with brain damage due to prematurity and genetic abnormalities-- things that are difficult to prevent, it just kills me to see beautiful perfect babies who were fine until one of their caretakers lost control and hurt them.

And, even though she could retaliate, it could also help your case to have a history of neglect (because leaving her kids in the care of *that* man is neglect, if not outright abuse) already on the books.

Really, and I hear your fear, but it sounds like you need to call. This is your son's sister, afterall.
:
I'm sorry that you're in this situation.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#22 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sigh. I'm scared poopless b/c I am not a big truster of DCF but I m going to call tomorrow.
#23 of 58 Old 11-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Sigh. I'm scared poopless b/c I am not a big truster of DCF but I m going to call tomorrow.
I am too - but this is an exception. You're doing the right thing. I hope they get the help they need.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#24 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 12:01 AM

Call CPS as soon as they open in the morning...no question.

Jenn
#25 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 AM

i'm with all the mamas who say to call CPS...your young son even knew it was too rough and was worried his baby sister could die if the dad keeps this up. i know you are scared, but we're all here rooting for you s mama, i believe you're doing the right thing.
#26 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™ View Post
:

to you and your boy. My God, if my ds came home distraught that way and having gone into a strangers house --- OMG I can't even begin to imagine.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#27 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 AM

You're doing the right thing.
#28 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottmama View Post

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#29 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#30 of 58 Old 11-12-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page