So I "accidently" bought a Wii - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Long story. Anyway, DH will be thrilled, and I've never actually been able to surprise him before, so this will be fun. My questions are:

What extras do I need?

What games do I "need?"

Are there any games that a 3.5 year old could play and enjoy. She likes this kind of thing.

I know absolutely nothing about games. (I think the last game I could handle was Ms. Pac Man). I want him to open it on Christmas morning and have everything he needs to enjoy it.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 01:11 PM

you can hook it up to the internet and buy classic NES/arcade games like ms. pacman

super paper mario and the wii sports game are my favorites
Old 11-15-2007, 01:17 PM

wii bowling is great! And I think your lo could play, its just holding down a button and making the movement
Old 11-15-2007, 01:21 PM

We got the Wii play and my 3.5 can play all the games on it. It also comes with a controller. You'll want at least one extra controller, so the Wii play is only a few bucks more when you factor in the cost of the controller.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are a lot of great games available, like Donkey Kong, the Pac Man games, tons of them.

We didn't buy any games for the first 6 months we had it, we played the Wii sports all the time! We had some very serious competition going on. We've been really busy so there's not a lot of time for games now, but hopefully during winter break we can all play again. You might need an extra controller, I can't remember what it comes with, 1 or 2. The numchuck is good to have to, but not something you need right away if you don't want to spend more money.

I know this is sneaky, but when dd wants to play (she's only 2) with her brother, we set it up to play the computer, give her the controller and she thinks she's doing it. That might not work with a 3 year old though. I'm not sure what games would be good for a little one, bowling might be good.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We don;t have a wii (yet!) but DD (3 1/4) is enjoying pikmin, super mario sunshine and mario kart double dash on the game cube. The wii can play game cube games but you need to buy a game cube controller. Well worth looking at since they are all great games and can easily be bought used.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
We got the Wii play and my 3.5 can play all the games on it. It also comes with a controller. You'll want at least one extra controller, so the Wii play is only a few bucks more when you factor in the cost of the controller.
Yeah that!!!
We all love Wii Play including our two year old.

What sort of games does your DH generally like OP? Mine had a blast with "Blazing Angels" a WW2 airplane game. It needs a nunchuck too. '

I'm a BIG BIG BIG fan of paper mario.

I also like Big Brain Acedemy & my two year old did too. I'm a major nerd though. My dh thought it was stupid but that's just because he was bad at it

I've also seen a game that's intended for 4-7 yo's. I can't remember what it's called. It's supposed to be educational I think.

You'll need an SD card for memory. Any will do, but Nintendo has one specifically for the Wii.

A wii points card would be handy. You can buy the old school games using a credit card, but the wii points card will probably be easier to use on X-mas day.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
Old 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM

i had a wii last year ut had to sell it to pay bills whne DH got sick. i say deffo get Wii Play with the extra controler. Wario Smooth Moves is a good game for everyone. wii sports is good too.

im gettinga wii for the whole family next week but its going away for x,mas. im also getting Guitar hero iii with wireless gutioar controler. woopee

this links from UK sites but its gives an idea of what you could also think about getting btu are not essential

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...%20mega%20pack

kiz
Old 11-15-2007, 02:04 PM

extra controllers! that is the first thing we bought for ours. We have
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Super Paper Mario
Rayman Raving Rabids (fun for a little kid to watch, but they could never play because it is too difficult.)

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz

Mario Party 8- A good whole family game though we think it isn't as good as some of the game cube games.

We want:

Super Mario Galaxy
Rayman Raving Rabids 2
Metroid Prime 3
Old 11-15-2007, 02:08 PM

Get an extra controler and nunchuck.

It comes with Wii sport there are things in there for your dd. Also get Mario Party8.

Extra memory card--but don't buy the Nitendo one go get a cheap SD memory card out of the camera department.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Super Paper Mario is a GREAT game but not really one that a tiny kid could do. I bet she could play the Wii Sports games though.

Just make sure you all WEAR YOUR WRIST STRAPS.

You want at least 2 controllers and 2 nunchucks (the other piece on the controller) so 2 people can compete in the sports games.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:27 PM

Get and extra controller! I personally like Wii Sports but we havent gottent that many games yet. Its alot of fun!
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Kee-rap. I was really almost there talking myself out of getting one of these...I think an "accident" is about to befall me...

Mom to a teenager and a middle schooler.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:08 PM

I have a brand new one sitting in my dining room, but it's not ours.. My sis mentioned she waned one so I happened across one and picked it up for her, but she is in the process of moving, so she asked me to hold onto it for her....
But for some reason having it sitting there is making me want one for us!

But we have a 4YO and 21 month old... I'm worried the baby will want to play and will cry... don't want the boys to fight over it. Also, not sure if I want to start getting my 4yo into video games.... but it sure looks fun!

Marie- Mom to David- c/s 2/1/03, Andrew VBAC 2/13/06 and Ashee unplanned unassisted homebirth 10/10/09
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM

My sister and I stood in line for two hours this weekend so we could get one for my dad's 50th birthday. My dad thought it would be good exercise (yeah, great excuse dad ).

When we were kids, my parents used to open all of our toys and play with them before wrapping them for Christmas. So we decided to return the favor . I mean, we had to make sure it worked, right?

But warning, there is no resistance so you can really throw out your hips and shoulder. My shoulder and neck have been killing me ever since. But the boxing was so fun. Really got me sweating.

You can survive on the sports games it comes with for a while. But you may want to consider another controller.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:39 PM

DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION!

the game is TOO fun! plus, it has a workout mode...
Old 11-15-2007, 03:45 PM

They have DDR for the Wii??? I have got to get that...

We love the Zelda game, but we are big geeks and have beaten every variation of every Zelda game ever released on every console.

Also, Wii Play, Wii Sports, the Wario Smooth Moves, and Paper Mario.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn1221 View Post
But warning, there is no resistance so you can really throw out your hips and shoulder. My shoulder and neck have been killing me ever since. But the boxing was so fun. Really got me sweating.

You can survive on the sports games it comes with for a while. But you may want to consider another controller.
You could put on those eighties-style wrist weights!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:57 PM

You may also want to get a classic controller just in case you decide to download some games onto your Wii.

We have 3 controllers and 3 nunchucks (cuz there are 3 in my family), 1 classic controller, a ton of games downloaded, monkeyball banana blitz, wii play, wii sports(comes with controller)..some other games but I don't play it enough to remember.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

Old 11-15-2007, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
DH bought one a little over a month and I really like it! He also bought the Tiger Woods golf game and even though neither of us like golf, we both really like that game.

DS is 3 and we bought him the Cars game, along with the steering wheel. He's still a little young for most of the game but there is a part of it where he can just sit there and drive around Radiator Springs, he thinks that is fun.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 11-15-2007, 07:04 PM

I think you should put it back in the box and send it to me as it seems that everyone in the state of Massachusetts has "run out".
Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM

Cooking Mama is a fun game.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:24 PM

The most important thing I can say to get is either a docking station or a set of rechargable batteries. The remotes eat batteries! Even the rechargable ones and we don't play it every day. I have 2 sets of rechargables so we have one always charged.

There are 5 of us and we have 3 remotes and 2 nunchucks. Every so often I'm sorry we don't have another remote so I'm thinking of getting a 4th one.

I bought an SD camera card for $12 and it works fine, I wouldn't pay extra for a "wii" memory card. Grips/gloves for the remotes really help too.

The kids love carnival games .

It will play gamecube games if you buy a gamecube controller and memory card. There are some that a young child could play and you can get them cheap at gamestop.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j924 View Post
I think you should put it back in the box and send it to me as it seems that everyone in the state of Massachusetts has "run out".
I went to Wiialerts and registered, including signing up for the cell phone alerts. I got the alert on my cell phone the next day. I immediately went to my email and clicked on the link which led me to an Amazon seller. 3 minutes later I had my email confirmation of the sale. 49 hours after I registered, my Wii showed up at my door. 'Twas $250 shipped.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:26 PM

I bought one for dh (and the kids) for father's day. My 7 year old LOVES it. I second the need for an additional controller.

My dd's (7) favorite game right now is Super Mario Party. Ds (turning 4 in Jan) likes to watch but hasn't wanted to play much. She got that for her birthday a few months ago. Before that we just had the Wii Sports and Wii Play games.

I've had my eye on Cosmic Family http://www.amazon.com/Ubisoft-Cosmic...5168901&sr=8-1 since I saw it in a magazine ad a while back but we don't have it yet so I can't say if ds would like it or not.

Mom to (5) (9)
Old 11-15-2007, 09:44 PM

waaaah! we're searching high & low for one for my MOM! sigh. i hope your dp loves it!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 PM

My 4 year old likes the wii sports, and she can play some of the smaller games on Monkey Ball. I think I am going to have to check out the Paper Mario one everyone is talking about. I need a teenager so someone can teach me how to play these things!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:[/QUOTE=zenenlightened;9740413]We have 3 controllers and 3 nunchucks (cuz there are 3 in my family), 1 classic controller, a ton of games downloaded, monkeyball banana blitz, wii play, wii sports(comes with controller)..some other games but I don't play it enough to remember. [/QUOTE]

:

we play family tennis and all 3 can play together (we do doubles and let the computer controlled person be dd's partner)

Is it even possible to have one controller control 2+ people in something like bowling where only one person can go at a time?

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd

User Tag List