Eating contests - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2007, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In our local paper there is an article about how a local hot dog stand hosted its first annual hot dog eating contest. All these people came to watch, and it was a big celebration.

To me, eating contests seem so gluttonous, and since there are so many people in this world who are in-need, competitions to see who can eat the most seem almost immoral to me. Not to mention the fact that watching people shove hot dog as quickly as possible into their mouths is kind of disgusting.

Or am I just a spoil sport? What do you think about eating contests?

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think they are so disgusting. I can't even see a commercial about one, ewww.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM

I agree, they are so gross and potentially dangerous. Someone could easily choke, and also they could get really sick from eating so much at once. It seems like the worst of humanity to do something so unhealthy and bad for your health for a prize.

I still think about that thing that happened last Christmas when that poor mother was trying to win a Wii for her kids and drank so much water in that contest for a radio station that she died.

I think eating contests are similar and wish they would stop.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:01 PM

Me too...and I'm a vegetarian so that makes it even grosser for me.

Vegan, mom to : Joe and Josh ::
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
They really, really bother me.

I hadn't heard about the mother who died trying to win the Wii. That's bad.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I heard about that woman who died.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

Old 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I find them so so revolting for so many reasons. Very disturbing. I cannot watch images of them on TV or in movies even.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 11-16-2007, 08:06 PM

Nope, you're not a spoil-sport IMO. I totally agree with you, they are disgusting.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:14 PM

Nasty! I get queasy watching Carl's Junior commercials, so eating contests are just waaaay over the top for me.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny View Post
...To me, eating contests seem so gluttonous, and since there are so many people in this world who are in-need, competitions to see who can eat the most seem almost immoral to me....
:

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

Old 11-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Bleck. Eating contests are just disgusting. People cheering on others for their gluttony? Yuck.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Yeah, the two things that make me go : about how much extra food Americans and other have are eating contests and people putting Cheerios or Fruit Loops in the toilet to get their kids to pee/aim on them. I find both practices disturbing and seriously out of touch with the rest of the world.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 PM

i second all thats being said,from the viewpoints on food to the danger aspect.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 PM

I think they are horrible. I was completely offended when one of the few truly local restaurants in my town sponsored a cookie eating contest - the youngest age group was 3 year olds!

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPsSweetie View Post
I think they are so disgusting. I can't even see a commercial about one, ewww.
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
I still think about that thing that happened last Christmas when that poor mother was trying to win a Wii for her kids and drank so much water in that contest for a radio station that she died.
I heard about that, too. That was so, so, sad. Didn't the family sue the radio station that did the contest? Does anyone know what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmom View Post
I think they are horrible. I was completely offended when one of the few truly local restaurants in my town sponsored a cookie eating contest - the youngest age group was 3 year olds!
yeah, way to teach children healthy eating habits, right? Let's reward them for not only over-eating, but for over-eating unhealthy junk food! Brilliant!

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
Yeah, the two things that make me go : about how much extra food Americans and other have are eating contests and people putting Cheerios or Fruit Loops in the toilet to get their kids to pee/aim on them. I find both practices disturbing and seriously out of touch with the rest of the world.
Hmm. I don't see the harm in peeing on a few cheerios if it helps a child potty learn. If it's about wasting food, my kids waste more food from spilling or just not eating it than they ever could from using it to potty learn (not that we had to since I have two girls, but I would have been ok with it if they were boys).

And how do you feel about other, non-eating uses for food items, like wheat or corn based kitty litter? That's what we use for my cat since it seemed like the best type of litter to meet our needs (clumping, flushable, odor resistant, non-clay-dusty, non-toxic).

I'm genuinely curious to know more of your point of view on this.

Serendipity
Old 11-16-2007, 11:09 PM

I find them sort of like an accident in the grotesque sense... I don't want to look, yet I can't seem to look away.

LP
Old 11-16-2007, 11:39 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serrendipity View Post
Hmm. I don't see the harm in peeing on a few cheerios if it helps a child potty learn. If it's about wasting food, my kids waste more food from spilling or just not eating it than they ever could from using it to potty learn (not that we had to since I have two girls, but I would have been ok with it if they were boys).

And how do you feel about other, non-eating uses for food items, like wheat or corn based kitty litter? That's what we use for my cat since it seemed like the best type of litter to meet our needs (clumping, flushable, odor resistant, non-clay-dusty, non-toxic).

It's not about wasting food, it's about teaching children to actually urinate on (disrespect) food. It's like saying, "We have so much food we actually pee on it!" whereas I think this would never happen in more impoverished areas. Something about that really bothers me, it seems more disrespectful than a child accidentally dropping some food on the ground. I don't really have an explanation. Now y'all think I'm crazy.

I never thought about the kitty litter thing before (no pets) so I had no idea until now it was made from corn or wheat. I guess it bothers me less because I don't feel like I'm trying to teach the cat the value of food and how others go without. It's less disturbing, though.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Just seriously wrong, in so many ways. Ick ick super ick!

(and the pie ones are a tragic waste of good pie, which should be SAVOURED one slice at a time!!!)

Mom to DD1 (11/1999),  DD2 (07/2003), and DS (11/2012), all born at home and cloth diapered. 

Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 AM

I think they are gross and agree with the pp about disrespecting food. I potty learned a boy without food to pee on I alo hate, hate the 'messy party' idea for this reason.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisainCalifornia View Post
Yeah I remember that too. Sad, sad, sad. :

LP
Old 11-17-2007, 01:19 AM

I went too school with a girl who was convinced (it was so not her style, she's super shy) by fair officials to enter a "chubby bunny" contest a year ago. Each contestant puts a marshmallow in their mouth and says the words, "chubby bunny" until they have so many in there that can no longer say the words. She died. Now her identical twin is left alone and her parents have a constant visual reminder of their dead daughter. How horrible is that?

: : :

LP
Old 11-17-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avent View Post
I can see this point, but I don't even understand how Fruit Loops are food :

That said, I never taught my boys to aim at stuff with their pee, it seems weird.

And I completely agree with the OP about eating contests.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:03 AM

I think eating contest is disgusting, I can't bear to watch any of it. I don't have high opinions of the organizers or the participants.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athansor View Post
Me too...and I'm a vegetarian so that makes it even grosser for me.
It would still be gross to me if someone was eating tofu pie. Actually might be even grosser I get your point, lol.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Banned

They don't bother me.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:50 AM

They don't bother me. I actually find them fascinating, but I only watch if The Black Widow is participating. :

flowersforyou.gif

Old 11-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Go ahead and mock me, but I've taken part in several pie-eating contests and . . . I had fun. :

The local orchard has a festival to celebrate each fruit as it comes into season, and they always have a pie-eating contest. You sit at a table with a bunch of other hungry festival-goers, get one free pie, put your hands behind your back, and see who can eat theirs the fastest without using their hands. It's comical, not so much food that anyone gets a bellyache after, and the pies are reeeeally good.

The winner gets his or her picture in the local paper and a T-shirt. The orchard gets good publicity from the entire event, but the contests are definitely a draw, so that helps a 266-year-old (yes, you read that right!) family-owned local business keep going. Sure, it could be seen as gluttony and setting a bad example. It can also be just a fun thing and a special event. I dare say most of us eat more in one sitting at holiday gatherings, but we don't eat like that every day. I think my kids can grok the difference.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:06 PM

Disgusting, immoral and arrogant, IMO.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 11-17-2007, 12:51 PM

My vote is gross and sad. I hate food being wasted.

When I first started working with kids, (years ago before I had kids and never had to worry about food on the table), the director told me no food in the sensory table. At the time I rolled my eyes at her thinking she was over reacting.

Years later I think she was right. The rice put in the sensory table could feed a family for who knows how long. Add the beans, and dried peas and you almost have a balanced meal.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM

I think they are disgusting but still pretty amusing and fascinating to watch. I guess I'm in the minority here because they don't bother me all that much.

I see you're points and all but I still find myself not getting too upset about them.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

User Tag List