S/O poll: Pukey shoes and cloth diapers - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Would you wash or toss the pukey shoes?
I CD and would wash the pukey shoes. 48 52.75%
I CD and would toss the pukey shoes. 16 17.58%
I use sposies and would wash the pukey shoes. 19 20.88%
I use sposies and would toss the pukey shoes. 5 5.49%
Other (explain). 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, after reading the thread about pukey shoes and whether to throw them away or wash them, I'm wondering if there's a correlation between using cloth diapers and being okay with touching/washing puke out of shoes. I know for me, I'm used to washing poopy cloth, so pukey shoes are no big deal to me .... poll coming.
#2 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM

i cd and would take the shoes home and wash them, BUT the puke bothers me a whole lot more than poop. I just can't imagine wasting shoes like that:

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#3 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 02:24 PM

We use cloth and sposies and I would wash the shoes.
#4 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 02:33 PM

We used cloth, and I would wash the shoes.
#5 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM

for me it would really depend on the shoes. how new? how loved? what brand? i recently scored a pair of second-hand shoes for DS for $2, and they would have been at least $80 when new--really high quality stuff. I'd wash them. on the other hand, if it were a brand new pair of $15 payless shoes, i'd rather replace. but maybe my values are screwed up, as $15 is more than $2!
#6 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This reminds me of a story that sort of applies. I used to CD, until we moved a lot and I still think its best but I had some issues where I coudn't keep up with it.

Anyway fast-forward to now.... dd is in the process of potty-learning.... and I had a roommate that was also doing childcare for me. Well dd had an accident... pooped in her panties, got it all over her pants, etc. My roommate threw out dd's panties and pants!! Took them down to the dumpster.

I came home and she told me about it... turns out they were my favourite pants of dd's. I was like.... um.... roommate? I used to cloth diaper dd, I will wash those pants. She said something about how she didn't want to wash them and thought it was gross to put them in the washer. I was like... um, yeah, I'm going to wash them. I went down to the dumpster, found them in a bag on top, and brought them upstairs and washed them. :P
#7 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have 2 in cloth and I probably would have tossed the shoes. If they were canvas and could be tossed in the washer, then I would probably have washed them. If they were sneakers that couldn't be machine washed then I would toss them.

About a year ago DS threw up on his sneakers. I washed them as best I could (they couldn't be machine washed) but couldn't get the smell out of them. Even after several washes you could still catch whiffs of eau de puke.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#8 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 03:54 PM

I CD and would toss the shoes. They were shoes with a ten year old's puke on them . . . had it been toddler puke, I might think differently.

I gag over other people's vomit very easily and would not want the shoes around. I suck at getting stains and stuff out . . . and ugh. Puke and poop are very different for me.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#9 of 24 Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM

i use cd, and well my puke and poop tolerance level is quite high.... i would take em.

Kristin- Wife to J, Mommy to B (11), M-S (8), and little J (4) and J&J (7 months)
#10 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 01:11 PM

I did not cd my dd and would wash vomit covered shoes.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#11 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 01:21 PM

I cloth diaper and I would wash the shoes
#12 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 01:34 PM

I used disposables on my first and cloth on my second. I would throw the shoes in the washing machine and hope for the best. If they got ruined by that, the puke probably would have ruined them, too.
#13 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've done a combination of CD and sposies, depending on what my life was like at the time.

I would wash the pukey shoes- and maybe toss them if they fell apart in the wash. The only time I'd toss pukey shoes without washing is if they were already worn out and ready for the trash before the child got sick on them- use the yuck as an excuse to get rid of something that was no longer fit to wear but the child insisted on wearing.

I voted "other" but maybe I should have voted "I CD and would wash the pukey shoes" because I AM Ok dealing with poop, even though I didn't always use cloth?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 01:44 PM

We have used cloth in the past, but due to our current living arrangements we use disposables. I have a pretty high poop tollerence but puke sends me reeling. That said, I'd probably attempt to wash them...and try not to make it worse by puking on them myself while washing them. I'd rinse them off and then toss them in the washer...I ain't scrubbing pukey faux leather by hand. EW.

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#15 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Oh, and to clarify, really gross shoes would go in the washing machine, on cold, no matter what the "care instructions" for the shoes said. If the washing ruined the shoes, I'd either toss them at that point or keep them around as "spare shoes". No way would I keep shoes around with that "vomit smell" on them.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 02:05 PM

I've used both and I would have chucked the shoes.
#17 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I CD and would have no issues cleaning the shoes. Bodily fluids don't bother me, I guess it comes along with being an RN. I used to always gross DH out at the dinner table when I'd tell him about my day.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#18 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM

I CD & would wash the shoes.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#19 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 02:34 PM

We all have our faults and limits.

I'd rather smell poop than vomit. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

DH handles the vomit in this house, I can deal just fine with the diarrhea.

So I would probably have tossed the shoes, because I would probably always smell the vomit in them.

And we CDed everyone. I don't think that CDing gives you a stomach of iron. Normal poop does not linger (IMO) like vomit or sick-diarrhea smell. Also, just because you see a child poop, it doesn't trigger my bowels to want to move immediately as well--but if I see someone vomit, I start gagging too which makes things more difficult to deal with.

I'm sure there's someone somewhere who has the sympathetic poop urge instead of the vomit urge--but it ain't me.
#20 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a puker who was also constipated a lot from like 4 - 8 months so she would eventually go in these HUGE marathon poops. Neither poop nor puke rattle me at all. I've caught puke in my hands (for easier clean up) more times than I can count. Also, I always ALWAYS use disposables when out. It's just sooo much easier and I make no excuses.

That said, sometimes shoes or clothes are not salvagable. Clothes might only stain (and even then...I'd really rather not have my dd wearing clothes with massive puke stains, a little splotch on jammies, I can live with) but shoes can be tough if not impossible to clean. I've had to throw a pair, but I've saved a lot more than I've tossed. And goodness knows if I tossed the carseat everytime she puked all over it, we'd have to get around exclusivly on foot because that thing gets a puke bath about once a month.
#21 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 04:29 PM

I use sposies now, but did try cd, its just not for my ds, and i would throw the shoes.
#22 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 04:44 PM

I would wash them. DD1 puked in her shoes once and I couldn't get the smell out with enzymatic cleaner and deodorizer so they eventually got tossed.
#23 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 11:42 PM

I use cloth (well, sometimes sposies due to rash issues) and have a very intimate relationship with all things poop in this house. I would probably have tossed the shoes not because it was puke, but because shoes seem awfully difficult to clean. I've dealt with pukey shirts and other clothing, no problem. I mean, it depends on what kind of shoes and exactly how covered they are, but cleaning out crusty lace holes and around the insole does not appeal to me in the slightest. A dirty diaper is much easier to deal with, IMO.

Ds2 threw up all over the carseat and backseat of our car not long ago. Bad, huge throw up, dark color (he'd been eating ginger cookies), in every crevice and seatbelt notch. If I could have thrown out the carseat and the back of our car, I would have. We ended up having to pay over $100 to get it professionally cleaned.
#24 of 24 Old 11-25-2007, 11:54 PM

I cd and would clean the pukey shoes, but not because I CD. I used to be bulimic :, so my puke tolerance is pretty high.

love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page