These things come in threes, right? :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even poopier update in post #36, I beleive. UGh.

I took a second job to try and make a little money for Christmas gifts. I was due to be paid on December 7th. It wasn't a lot of money, but at least it was going to put SOMETHING under the tree for the kids. I actually spent a lot of unpaid time travelling to and from this job, jumping through hoops for them, meticulously going over payroll information and all required forms to make sure they were filled out correctly and on time. I sent them a void check so they could pay me via direct deposit, to avoid any "christmas rush" delays with my pay.

I just got an email.

Due to "a delay in processing paperwork", I've been moved to the next pay period. I will receive my pay AFTER Christmas.

I had a bit of a freakout moment, cried, and then emailed them back to explain why this wasn't acceptable. I have not received a response back.

But right now, at this moment, I have nothing to give my kids for Christmas, for the first time. And it sucks. It really really sucks a lot worse than I thought it was going to. I can't even afford fabric right now to finish up the few gifts I was making for them. Was going to buy it this weekend after my pay came in. Now I won't be seeing any pay until December 30th. I honestly don't know what to do. Do you think the kids are young enough (2 and 4) that we could maybe delay Christmas a week and they wouldn't notice?
#2 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM

That's just horrible. I think having Christmas a week late is fine, if that's what you have to do.
#3 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I definately think you can delay Christmas. We've done it before when money was short. Really, they aren't going to care and at that age, they may not even notice. But if they do, you can always tell them that Santa (if you do Santa) is taking a bit longer for them so that he can make them something reallllllly special.

#4 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:40 PM

That sucks! I'm so sorry.

I honestly think you could delay Christmas. I mean, think of all the families who delay Christmas because someone has to be out of town for Christmas?

In fact, in my family my dh almost ALWAYS has to work on a holiday so we will do things like celebrate Thanksgiving on Friday or whatever. Yeah, not exactly the same thing, but still.

Maybe with the 4yo you could explain a little about why you need to do this, but the 2 yo won't care.

Maybe you could apply to be a FIN? I think there are still a few spots!
#5 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:43 PM

They probably are young enough, but it really sucks that you have to even be thinking that. It's just awful.

Is it too late to get on Toys for Tots, or to put your name in at your church for some little things?

Is there anyway to pick up some fast cash, say by shoveling some snow (if you have any), babysitting, or driving someone housebound to an appointment?
#6 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

I actually checked Toys for Tots yesterday, and am nearly 2 weeks late for the deadline, so that's out. I am doing searches for local organizations that may still have room on a list of some kind. But I feel like such a bum, doing this. I don't want to take from somebody that's needier...if that makes sense. (Is needier a word? That just looks wrong!) I mean, it's not a necessity. It's Christmas gifts! I just feel so horrible, because both of the kids have been looking so forward to it, and know all about it, and have been dutifully moving down their advent calendar each day.

I am on the FIN list this year, but don't want to count on it because I know that there are just sooo many people that needed help this year.

I still have a few more days of this second job to do. But am obviously past their early December pay period. So any money I make henceforth will be either lumped into the Dec 30th payment....or early January. My "real job" pays me once a month, last day of the month, so obviously that doesn't help me out, either. I asked them earlier in the month if there was any possibility of getting the pay early this year, and was literally laughed at. Bummer.

This is just so frustrating.
#7 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
That truely sucks. My suggestion would be go to freecycle. I am always putting toys or clothes that are in very good used condition for someone else to use. I also see people ask for any giftable toys for their children, and then thank you's a day or so later. It's worth a shot if there is one in your area.
#8 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:01 PM

#9 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I think your kids are little enough to not care if you do the holiday a week late. Maybe celebrate it twice- once on the actual date and then again a week later for gift giving?

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you think the kids are young enough (2 and 4) that we could maybe delay Christmas a week and they wouldn't notice?
Yes, I think they're young enough. And I'm so sorry. Hang in there, mama!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#11 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:11 PM

I think they are young enough to push the celebration back a week.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#12 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:12 PM

we actually do xmas late on purpose.....everything is on sale the week after xmas

We celebrate the end of a year together and the start of a new year, more than anything...so the exact day doesn't matter.

This year there is no way we can do xmas in December this year, but the kids really don't mind (of course i have weird kids... )

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#13 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:13 PM

That is really heartless of them, super Scrooges. Your kids will be so delighted to celebrate whenever you are ready to. They are so flexible at that age! All they really want is you playing with them with whatever anyway! Money's tight for us this year,too, and I'm amazed at how much free holiday cheer there is out there. Less stressful than shopping, actually. I'd rather not have money problems, but it's nice just observing and not madly scrambling.
#14 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:43 PM

I PM'd you...
#15 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 10:50 PM

I pm'd you too mama
#16 of 51 Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Twelve Days of Christmas....just stretch it to January 6, with fun things that don't cost money. It'll be ok.

Mom of two girls.
#17 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maybe it was just a delay because of the direct deposit and you can still get your check?!? I would go in and talk to whoever is in charge of payroll....don't freak out yet! There is still hope!

: Robyn : Increasingly crunchy Mama to Kya (8) , Makena (7) , and Keegan (4) :
#18 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:07 AM

Huge for you. I'm going through something similar right now with finding out that my check that was supposed to arrive last Friday won't get to me until at least the 19th...if it doesn't get lost in the mail again.

I know that horrible feeling that you're probably experiencing....except there is a slight chance I'll get mine before xmas.

Pm'ing you.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#19 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:08 AM

Having an HR background - here is what I would do. I would politely march my butt down to the HR/payroll office and sit down with whoever is in charge. They cannot legally delay your paycheck. If they screwed up with the direct deposit - then they have to cut you a check. They can't just pay you on the next pay period.
#20 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:10 AM

I'm sorry this happens to you. I hope things will look up soon.
#21 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:35 AM

I was considering delaying Christmas for Jayda just because I didn't want to have to shell out all kinds of money at once. I honestly don't think they'd notice if you didn't make a big deal about it.
#22 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:41 AM

PMing you
#23 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 12:57 AM

What kind of fabric do you need? How much of it and what colour?

What 3 items do you wish you could put under the tree most for each of your children for Christmas?

LP
#24 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 AM

Nikki..you are in Canada right? We have been talking. Anyway, it's not legal. I used to do payroll..they HAVE to pay you. If you earned anything in that payperiod, and if it should have been processed they have to.

If they screwed up direct deposit they have to cut you a cheque. Go talk to the HR person, explain that you can't wait, that you were counting on this etc.

I screwed up payroll once(well the fax machine did)...when I faxed the sheets to our head office only the first week for 2 people went through..when the people didn't get paid head office HAD to cut cheques for the missing week for them AND they had to cover the late/NSF charges on any payments that counted on those cheques.

In the meantime let me know what you need. I am packing up a bunch of toys to donate. If I have something your kids can use I will happily mail them to you.

PM me

Carolyn
#25 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 01:07 AM

Okay, oops - I didn't realize you were in Canada. I tried to PM you. I'm going to go ahead and post that message here anyway since it sounds like the info I have is valid for Canada as well.

I just wanted to send you a PM. I used to work in HR, and it is illegal for a company to not pay you when they are supposed to. The - well, the paperwork didn't get in for your direct deposit, so we're paying you next pay period - thing is a load of crap. If they missed the deadline to get it in for direct deposit, they still have to cut you a check. They cannot legally screw you out of a paycheck - even if it is just for a couple of weeks. You should be able to talk to someone in payroll/hr. I would, personally, just say, "I understand that my paycheck won't be deposited by direct deposit due to a paperwork error. Should I come by on day X or day X to pick up my check?" Good luck.
#26 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Okay, oops - I didn't realize you were in Canada. I tried to PM you. I'm going to go ahead and post that message here anyway since it sounds like the info I have is valid for Canada as well.

I just wanted to send you a PM. I used to work in HR, and it is illegal for a company to not pay you when they are supposed to. The - well, the paperwork didn't get in for your direct deposit, so we're paying you next pay period - thing is a load of crap. If they missed the deadline to get it in for direct deposit, they still have to cut you a check. They cannot legally screw you out of a paycheck - even if it is just for a couple of weeks. You should be able to talk to someone in payroll/hr. I would, personally, just say, "I understand that my paycheck won't be deposited by direct deposit due to a paperwork error. Should I come by on day X or day X to pick up my check?" Good luck.
Yep..same applies here, and we are in the same province.
#27 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 04:14 AM

I know an entire family who has Christmas one week late every year, and have done so for like 20+ years. On Christmas they hang out, be lazy, eat food with their kids and spouses. Then a week later (after all the after Christmas sales) the whole family gets together and has a huge feast and presents all day. Most of the presents from the parents are given on this day as well.

It started cause they were poor, and couldn't afford Christmas, so they would delay it so they could hit some deals. Everybody liked it so much they kept it going.

s Even if you wrap something you made, or create a fun activity for the day, like baking cookies, or doing a really large craft, your kids will have a blessed day. It's really not about the presents, it's about the fun. Just have some fun.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#28 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 04:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000 View Post
I know an entire family who has Christmas one week late every year, and have done so for like 20+ years. On Christmas they hang out, be lazy, eat food with their kids and spouses. Then a week later (after all the after Christmas sales) the whole family gets together and has a huge feast and presents all day. Most of the presents from the parents are given on this day as well.

It started cause they were poor, and couldn't afford Christmas, so they would delay it so they could hit some deals. Everybody liked it so much they kept it going.

s Even if you wrap something you made, or create a fun activity for the day, like baking cookies, or doing a really large craft, your kids will have a blessed day. It's really not about the presents, it's about the fun. Just have some fun.
I have considered doing this as well because I am cheap.
#29 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 04:34 AM

eh - sounds like they have to cut you a check. I'd still delay Christmas a week to do the sale thing - don't overspend if you don't have to!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#30 of 51 Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 AM

totally march in there and make them give you a cheque. a pox on their throats!

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page