How do you decide whats from parents and whats from santa? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How many presents are from santa?
One, the rest are from you. 36 38.71%
All but one, which is from you. 9 9.68%
About half and half. 12 12.90%
Some other combination. 36 38.71%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

#1 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious. A spin off on "does santa wrap?" I have no idea what Im going to say is from us and whats from santa. Does santa bring one gift and the rest is from you? The biggest? Or do you give one and santa the rest? Or half and half? How do you decide this?

~Me, mama to soapbox boy (1991), photo girl (1997), gadget girl (2003), jungle boy (2005), fan boy (2007) and twirly girl (2011). Twenty five years of tree hugging, breastfeeding, cosleeping, unschooling, craziness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Whatever DD asks Santa for, she gets from Santa. Everything else is from me. So far, she has been really good every year about keeping it affordable, and we kind of sit down and discuss beforehand what she is going to ask Santa for. I am dreading the day where she asks Santa for something that costs $300!

But in reality, we talk about how she can ask Santa for a couple of things, and that she might not get *all* of the things that she asked for, but at least it gives Santa a few ideas. It's worked for us so far.
#3 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll probably take the tack of toys from Santa, other stuff from mommy.
(or the very-special wantee from mommy, whatever that is)

#4 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 03:04 AM

Our kids are allowed to ask for as much stuff as they want, but Santa only brings one or two of their requests. The rest of the gifts come from us, and are some combination of what they specifically asked for and what we thought they'd like. The Santa gifts we chose were more or less our kids' favorite item, or at least the one they mentioned most often.
#5 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 03:08 AM
Ok

Santa picks 1 thing from the list for each child and it becomes part of their stocking (which they can open as soon as they wake up). Other than the stocking (w/ the gift stuffed down in there or laid beside it), everything is from me/dp or other relatives.

Presents are opened one at a time, continually cycling through from youngest to oldest.
#6 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 03:28 AM

If it fits in the stocking, it's from Santa. If it's too big to go in the stocking, it's from Mom and Dad. It's not a hard-and-fast rule, so it may change in the future, but it's what we've done so far.
#7 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 03:34 AM

we dont do santa..

but toys that where picked specifically for that particular child are wrapped.
toys picked to be shared..not wrapped.
even though they share everything anyways
#8 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 04:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Usually whatever I don't feel like wrapping is from Santa. Unless I wrap something and then write on it that it is from Santa. Except I kind of feel the need to do different paper. Which isn't so bad, since I bought some things from a local store and they gift wrapped for free. So they have some musical instruments in completely different, unduplicated, wrapping paper with bows even, which I pretty much don't do.

OK, I have to get off this computer and get working.
#9 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 04:47 AM

Well, with my family growing up our parents didn't buy us Xmas presents, all gifts were from Santa. I had never heard of parents giving gifts until DH said that's how his family did it, some from parents some from Santa. So we do it his way because he really insisted on it.

Single mom of 2 boys
#10 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 04:49 AM

Her one must have gift is from santa. All else is from mom and dad. Little stuff is in the stocking - read play dough, markers, candy that she doesn't get, etc. Thank goodness she hasn't asked for anything too big yet...other than the baby sibling last year. We explained that one away before xmas!
#11 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 06:37 AM

The stocking and one gift are Santa. Anything else is from us. We try to make the Santa item the gift dd wanted most on her wish list.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#12 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 07:12 AM

The presents that they don't know what's inside are from Santa, lol! Little sneaks found out what most presents were so I bought them each one thing from Santa that they have no clue what's inside.
#13 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
The stocking and one gift are Santa. Anything else is from us. We try to make the Santa item the gift dd wanted most on her wish list.
This is exactly how we do it too
#14 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 08:15 AM

We used to have Santa bring one huge gift, something from her wish list and the rest were from us.

But I'm trying to cut back on the buying and also know that Santa will phase out soon...DD is getting older. So Santa brought three little gifts this year and *we* got her the "big" stuff (still not that big, though, as I said cuz we are scaling back).
#15 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Santa does some of the presents, and of course the stocking. But santa never does too much, for kind of an odd reason. Cora is very attuned to issues of poverty and other kids, and I don't want her asking why Santa bring her so much nicer stuff than, say, the girl down the street. Of course, Santa brings nicer stuff on the East Coast (her dad's, where she spends half of each winter break - we alternate which week.) But I've explained that it's because everything is more expensive out there. It's like a cost of living raise or something... : there are also two different tooth fairies... The East Coast branch gives five freakin dollars (without consulting the West Coast branch!)

I frankly can't believe DD still believes, but I love it.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#16 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 11:59 AM

One big gift and the stocking are from Santa, the rest are from us, a sibling, or the dog.

Luckily, DSD hasn't caught on to the fact that she can ask Santa for a specific item. Makes our lives way easier. If she could have asked, I know she would have requested that ridiculous $300 animatronic horse (no offense to anyone who actually purchased that), but I know she will get a lot more use out of the little wooden play kitchenette that Santa brought.

love.gif

#17 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 12:32 PM

All gifts are from who they're from in our family. DS knows about Santa, but knows he's just pretend.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
#18 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
We do roughly half and half, or more like, 2 1/3 from us, the rest from Santa, but we save the expected "favorite" gift to be from us, because we want the credit for it!

I pray for the day Family Court recognizes that CHILDREN have rights, parents only have PRIVILEGES.  Only then, will I know my child is safe.
#19 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:17 PM

Santa brings one or two things- mostly the things that the girls are continually asking for. This year for dd1 it was a tonka truck and a stuffed animal horse. Dd2 said she wanted a stuffed animal horse too, but she got a Strawberry Shortcake horse and a SS doll. Then Santa brought them both a domino rally set. Everything else came from us.

I don't want them to think that Santa brings a lot of presents just in case we come upon a year where Christmas is going to be slim. It wouldn't be because Santa didn't come but it would be because mom and dad just didn't have a lot of money this year.
#20 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:26 PM

The 'boring' stuff (small toys, clothes, books, etc) are from Mama and Daddy. That one AWESOME toy thats more $$$ is from Santa.

I'm dreading when he asks Santa for something REALLY $$$...we'll figure it out when the time comes. I guess the year he asks Santa for a $400 video game or something is the year we have the 'talk' about Santa

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#21 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
They each get one similar thing from Santa. The rest are ones we take credit for.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#22 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:27 PM

This year I just did it at random, i wrapped all the presents as they were brought, and labeled them randomly as i wrapped.
#23 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
We do about half and half. They get about 4-5 presents each, and I try to make sure that one special present comes from us and one from Santa. This year, though, Santa got them more than we did, because we ran out of wrapping paper and santa doesn't wrap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#24 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:36 PM

We don't wrap Santa stuff, we set it all up on Christmas eve, ready to be played with upon discovery. That influences which gifts are from Santa at our house.

Likely to be from Santa: Stuff for both kids to share, big or awkward-to-wrap things, toys that require a lot of assembly before play. And stockings.

Likely from us: Books, games, things which are specifically for one or the other child, easily wrapped items, things which might not be played with/used right away.

So, this year, the play tent and the yoga ball were from Santa, and were in the living room waiting to be played with when the kids got up. We wrapped books, a CD player for DS1, a stuffed cow for DS2 who loves cows, some craft supplies, a pizza stone (DH makes pizza with the kids once a week.)
#25 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 01:41 PM

Santa gives one to each kid and we give one to each kid. We don't do many presents. They also get one from my grandma each, they give to each other and the cats get them each something.
#26 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 PM

Whatever has to be assembled or is a PITA to wrap is from Santa
#27 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 02:17 PM

dd asks santa for 1 present. this year it was peter pan puppets. the rest are from us.
#28 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 06:50 PM

This year I just let my oldest son think whatever he wanted to think, I thought he thought Santa brought everything but later in the morning he hugged dh and told him "thank you for all the presents papa!"
#29 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 07:54 PM

We don't do Santa, but I told dh that if we ever did do Santa then the socks and undies would come from him and the cool presents would be from mom & dad.
#30 of 36 Old 12-25-2007, 08:28 PM

a couple from santa, a couple from us, anything oddly shaped is automatically santa!! (santa doesn't wrap gifts at our house)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page