Poll, long involved drug & children situation - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What do you think about this woman's situation?
It's fine, she should be open about it, sounds like a great solution. 148 31.69%
It's fine, but she should be careful no one finds out; mixed feelings. 271 58.03%
It's not okay, but understandable, but I don't really want to be as close with her. 19 4.07%
It's not okay and I would cut her off and not do playdates and such with her children. 3 0.64%
It's really not okay, this woman is a drug user, and I would report her. 2 0.43%
Something else; please describe below. 24 5.14%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 188 Old 12-30-2007, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't draw any conclusion on her. I know mamas who have no medical problems and smoke MJ, I have no conclusions on them either. She is managing her pain and her kids are well and cared for that's all that matters to me. I admit though I do not know what affects MJ has on a nursling. I have never smoked myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 188 Old 12-30-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
I disagree. I think 'true' research is often very biased, especially in this culture. And frequency of use matters a lot... like 5 joints/day vs. 1 joint/day or 1 joint/week make a big difference.

And just because MJ can still be traced in an infant's system for a period of time does not mean lethargy or negative symptoms will continue that long. I would think any negative symptoms (none of which I've ever seen but merely heard of in 'studies') would diminish quickly.
There is tons of research that is biased and flawed. You have to know lots of info on a study before you can truly believe what anyone says. Believe me, I hear you on that one. You also need to know how studies were done. There are various types, some way more reliable than others. Recently whle looking at a study about weight problems in the USA , it was noted the study stats were obtained by interviewing people over the phone. If you got a call from a researcher asking your weight, would you really tell them the honest truth? How many overweight women would admit their true weight? So obviously that study had flaws, and we can assume that the obesity stats obtained are lower than actual ones we would obtain if we were to go to everyones home and have them step naked onto a scale, first thing in the am, after they pee.

What I was sayiing though is Dr. Hale can be trusted. He is very well respected in the field and has no financial motives.

That said I would strongly caution a mom on bf w/ TJ. There is reliable evidence supporting the reccomendation to not use TJ if bf.
#183 of 188 Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM

I would be happy for this mama that she was feeling better. As long as her ability to adequately supervise her children were not impaired, I would not consider it anyone else's business.
#184 of 188 Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 AM

I posted to this yesterday, but it didn't show up. Weird.

It wouldn't bother me at all. Like many others I voted 2 because I don't think she should tell people, but my feelings are not mixed.
#185 of 188 Old 01-01-2008, 05:32 PM

I voted FINE, but be careful who she tells. This is just something I would keep private unless I was talking to a close friend. I would look at this the same way as I would if someone was casually discussin what prescription drugs they take (for depression or anything else). It's one thing to be forthright and open--which I believe in being, really--but some people are wacky and for whatever reason have a chip on their shoulders about pot (or prozac, etc., etc).
#186 of 188 Old 01-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Banned

I voted other - I'm somewhere between the first two. I think that it's a great solution, but think that she should be careful whom she speaks to about it.
#187 of 188 Old 01-01-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdaffodils View Post
I voted that it's fine, but should be careful no one finds out. Only because it is still illegal, and I personally don't want to risk the wrong person or a spiteful person turning me into CPS or something.
Yes. It's a shame the only solution to a chronic illness is still illegal, and that other people have nothing better to do than try to get someone else in trouble, but that is the sad truth. I don't think 'mixed feelings' come into it at all.

for intuitive readings click here :
#188 of 188 Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM

I voted #1 and I have no problem at all with medicinal marijuana but I do think she should be careful who she chooses to share this info with. I've known a LOT of people who've gotten addicted to prescription pain meds and that has taken their lives straight into hell. If they could have received pain relief from marijuana, their lives AND their families lives would have been much better off.

I am always skeptical of studies that show problems with marijuana. I believe that the issue of medicinal marijuana is not a scientific or medical issue but it is purely a political issue.

FWIW, one of my best friends had a mastectomy and needed chemotherapy for 18 weeks. She took prescribed meds for the nausea and those meds offered her zero relief -- and they cost $45 PER PILL! She smoked a little weed and the nausea went away. No more mixed feelings for me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page