Anyone have mixed luck at Trader Joe's? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love that place. Their prices are great, especially for here in Northern California. I can count on the fact that their products aren't FULL of chemicals. But. BUT. I am so tired of buying things that go moldy or rancid before their expiration date!

I was making turkey chili today and got everything all ready and chopped up. As I was adding the turkey meat, I could smell that it was sour and I have a stuffy nose! Imagine if my nose had been stuffier (like yesterday when I couldn't smell anything) and I hadn't been able to smell that it was bad. My whole family would have gotten sick!

It's not just this TJs either. The ones I went to when we lived in NY had constant issues too. Moldy hummus, cheese going bad a month before it expires (still wrapped), sour OJ, bad milk, moldy tortillas, and many many trays of chicken and turkey.

I know you can bring back anything no questions. But I shouldn't have to! It's hard enough to shlep my kids there to begin with and find a parking spot.

*sigh*

Anybody with me? :

And what can I throw together for dinner now?
#2 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never had problems with meat. But three or four times the bagged sandwich bread molded within a couple of days, and that was in the winter when the kitchen wasn't particularly warm. The bread probably doesn't have preservatives, but I bought them all within the sell-by dates. Same with a package of blueberry bran muffins. They molded over night.

I still shop there regularly. It's close by. The organic strawberries are consistantly superior to the ones at the high end, award winning grocery store chain. I love the funky stuff I can get. Dh loves the black licorice from Australia. The madelines, yum! Druid Circle oatmeal cookies, yum! (Gotta love that name.) And of course the kids head for the samples the moment we walk in the door.

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 PM

I love TJs. One time, however, I bought a ton of pita pockets to make these pita chips I like for a party we were having. The day of the party I pulled them out and they were ALL completely moldy. I was pissed at the inconvenience. But when I returned them they reminded me that most of their items, especially their bakery items, do not contain preservatives. That's the issue, really. On the flip side, I have string cheese (a major brand name, like Frigo or something) in my fridge right now. Due date is sometime in April or whatever. I unwrapped a stick for DS#2 today and a huge part of the stick was moldy. The others in the package were fine. Totally weird. Another random thing that's happened to me is that at this one very popular local store I have on about 6 different occasions gotten past due dairy products. Big inconvenience. I'm sure they're not checking their shelves and perhaps TJs needs to do this more.
#4 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 PM

I think the moldy, etc food problem results from their food being made in other places and shipped long distances to their stores. Since it does not have as many preservatives, it goes bad quickly.

Personally, I am not to thrilled with TJs. I prefer our local coop food store. Shop locally, support local farmers.
#5 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:13 PM

I've had that happen many times at TJ's.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#6 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:14 PM

as for dinner tonite, vegie chili
#7 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 PM

I never had that issue here with TJ's, but I also don't buy meat or dairy. Theres this other place here to called wild by nature, and they constantly have expired things on the shelf, i have to be so careful shopping there.
#8 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 PM

All the time. They drive me crazy - and I drive me crazy, continuing to shop there despite the issues. I swear, I've returned more things to TJs than to all other groceries combined in my entire life.

Their organic hummus is fabulous - since tasting it, it is now the only hummus my kids will eat. But it ferments (and swells the package and in a few instances has exploded the package) well before it's expiration date. Sometimes the packages are already swelling on the shelf! I've returned several cartons of this hummus already for this problem, and have thrown away several more because I wasn't getting to TJs anytime soon. I continue to buy it, but try to get the girls to eat it very quickly.

Cheese - I've had their cheeses go moldy within two days of getting home.

Produce - I've bought raspberries, taken them straight to the park to eat with a picnic lunch, and found them moldy all through the center. Moldy artichoke hearts. Greens that have wilted in no time flat. Avocados that are so bruised they're unusable. Yep, I've returned most of these things, though a few were waste because I didn't plan on getting back there soon and wasn't keeping moldy fruit in my fridge for two weeks.

Jar of jelly - went to open it and found the seal was already popped; the jelly was moldy on top. How freakin' long does jelly have to be open to go moldy? I have kept jelly on my countertop for days with no problems! Candied ginger - bought a bag, and they tasted naaasty, don't know what was wrong with them. Gluten-free cookies - found bag to be unsealed.

Meat - several times I've had their meats smell funky well before expiration dates. The worst is hot dogs, because I'll open the pack, use a few and put the rest in the fridge for a later meal. I come back for them and they smell funky, but it's days or weeks before the expiration date. They sell the same brand of organic, nitrate-free dogs as my local hfs but for about $1 cheaper per pack. Now, I usually opt to buy locally, but at that discount... I've given in to temptation a few times when I'm there. But no longer - it's no discount if I have to throw away half the package!

The only thing that keeps me going back is their no-questions-asked return policy. In fact, they're so cool about returns that they don't even ask for a reason for record. I've had to push them a couple of times to let me complain about whatever was wrong with the item :
#9 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:46 PM

I've had issues with buying packaged veggies. They look great thru the saran wrap but underneath they are rotted :. I no longer buy certain veggies there b/c of this but everything else for us has been great. I can do one shop there for all of our food (not toiletries) & I stay within our budget.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#10 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think the fact that their bread goes moldy so fast must mean that it is pretty darn old by the time it reaches the store because I can bake my own bread at home, totally preservative free and it will last a week past Trader Joe's bread.
#11 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 PM

We don't buy meat or dairy, but we buy all our bread, tofu, jelly (except during the summer whe we get it at a farmers market), almond butter, pasta, sauce (when we don't make our own), frozen veggies, coffee, pet food, vitamins, etc (we do quite a bit of our shopping there) and we haven't had a problem with any of the food.
The only thing we've ever had a problem with was one time I bought some acidophilus and it had expired the month before. I took it back and told them and they went to took the rest of the shelf.
#12 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 PM

I haven't had that happen with meat from TJ's, but bread products, yeah. One thing I've noticed: the GF bread we usually buy (Food For Life brand) is sold refrigerated or even still frozen at Whole Foods, but at TJ's, it's at room temp. We keep it in the fridge at home, and it lasts for weeks... but I'm sure if we left it on the counter it would mold pretty fast.

It is something of a risk when you buy stuff that doesn't have preservatives, hasn't been uber-pasteurized, etc. The only brand I've had big issues with (and I've never seen it at TJ's) is Cedarlane. I've bought two things of tabouli and one of foccacia of theirs that had mold when I opened them... right after purchase, days before the sell-by. :-/ This was at three different stores, over several months (I avoided them for a while after the second incident, then gave them another shot). So I don't buy their stuff anymore.
#13 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 11:14 PM

Yes, I have had this problem with TJ many times. I know now not to buy their produce that is wrapped in saran wrap. Every single time I would buy squash or peppers or whatever--it looked fine in the wrapper, and then I would get it home and the underside would be moldy.

I would much rather go to my regular market (Safeway is the closest to us) and look at the produce and pick out my own. I won't buy it wrapped anymore. I have also bought moldy cheese, and stale/rotten baked goods.

I really think that TJ's is a very "stylized" grocery store. They are going for a "look" of a health food store, which appeals to people today who are "going green". I think it is part of whole marketing plan that they have (and it is obviously making them a tremendous profit)--but the reality behind the cool labels often falls short. I use to live across the street from "Real Foods" grocery store in San Francisco, and they had much better quality food. Obviously I am not a huge fan of Trader Joes, but I know many people love it.
#14 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
The worst is hot dogs, because I'll open the pack, use a few and put the rest in the fridge for a later meal. I come back for them and they smell funky, but it's days or weeks before the expiration date.
Ok... this happens for us all the time, but I grew up learning that the sell-by date was how long it would stay fresh *unopened*, and that once you opened it, it should be consumed within a relatively short time. For hot dogs, I wouldn't want to eat them more than a week after I'd opened them regardless, for example.
#15 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 PM

This has been happening to me more and more lately at TJ's! I have decided to stop doing most of my shopping there, because I'm tired of throwing away food that expired too early. I also notice that it seems like they have A LOT of food recalls.
#16 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 PM

Our local TJ's just opened a year ago. I don't make it there very often, but I have had two issues with spoiled meat. One time was ground turkey that I opened and it smelled rancid and it was still a week before the sell by and another time it was a whole chicken that had gone bad way before the sell by. I don't buy meat there anymore, but I haven't had any problems with any of their other items.
#17 of 44 Old 01-11-2008, 11:45 PM

I wonder if there are regional issues.... what states are you ladies who have these meat problems hailing from?
#18 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 AM

The only problem I've had is that the baguettes have to be used right away (or frozen). And I buy a fair amount of dairy. The organic milk seems to last as long as any other organic milk I've purchased.

I buy little produce there, however, because the prices aren't as good as the local grocery store.

The frozen foods (which don't really go bad) are out of this world.

Since we don't eat meat, I can't really speak to the quality there.

love.gif

#19 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:28 AM

I don't shop there very regularly, but I've never had any problems.
#20 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post
I've had that happen many times at TJ's.
Same here.
#21 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:38 AM

YES.

I've had major problems with the produce going bad. Then I started wondering why. Turns out most of it is being shipped halfway around the world to get to my grocery store. I've totally stopped buying produce there. But their other stuff rawks.
#22 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 AM

I love TJ's. One might even say I have an unhealthy addiction to the place. Five years ago, it was the only place within a 30 minute drive where I could find safe, affordable foods that fit into my elimination diet when I was abfing my hyper-allergic baby. I could understand labels without using a dictionary.

But, I do know what you're talking about.

Right now, we have a few granola bars laced thoroughly with hair that we'll be returning...

I've opened up moldy hummus. We had an entire container of individual organic applesauces explode in the pantry.

We now bake our own wheat bread, and the rice bread (Food for Life) goes straight into the 'fridge asap.

Produce has never been an issue, beyond a few bags of mixed greens that got slimy pretty quickly. And meat has never been a problem, but I will be paying extra attention now.
#23 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 AM
DBZ

I don't buy meat at TJs. Never have and never will. I have never bought packaged veggies or cheese there either. I have bought some fruit though and it turned moldy so fast. I have not had problems with bread or milk from there though. I don't love TJs as much as a lot of people do. Some of those reusable bags they sell are MIC and I swear by the smell that they were PVC. It also bugs me that they don't try to buy locally. In the fall they were selling pumkpins from out west and we grow them right here. To me, it seems that their target market is the yuppie class. I do like a lot of their food though.

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#24 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 12:59 AM

I stopped buying fresh veggies there. When I did buy them, they always went bad within a day. We just buy frozen, dry, and canned food there now. That stuff is awesome
#25 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby View Post
This has been happening to me more and more lately at TJ's! I have decided to stop doing most of my shopping there, because I'm tired of throwing away food that expired too early. I also notice that it seems like they have A LOT of food recalls.

Really? I've never seen one. How am I missing it?
Do you have a link or anything (not trying to be snarky, I would really like to know)?
#26 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 01:11 AM

For the record, if you want your money back on some food at TJ's, you don't have to actually bring in the moldy/offense/whatever item. Since they guarantee their products, they take your word for it. An employee told me once when I brought back some really stale granola.
#27 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
Really? I've never seen one. How am I missing it?
Do you have a link or anything (not trying to be snarky, I would really like to know)?
I've seen a few, but I wouldn't say "a lot." But their supply chain is highly regionalized (they have separate distribution chains for Northern and Southern California, even) so even if they stock similar products, they may come from entirely different places. Therefore, a recall may only affect a relatively small geographical area.
#28 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I guess it's a good thing that the nearest TJ to us is too far to bother with. I've been there once, and can't say I was horribly impressed.

I did enjoy the fruit slice candies I bought, but with our brand preferences and such, would never be able to do the bulk of our shopping there.

I do try to go to a local farm that has a store for some of our produce, will do so more often once the direct route road is open again... I can get local beef there too now! It's totally worthwhile grinding your own for hamburger or chili from lean stew beef.

"What will you do once you know?"
#29 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 03:36 AM

I have had this happen at TJs alot. We don't buy meat there, but we used to buy bread and some produce. We have stopped shopping there regularly because everything went bad so quickly. Especially the bread. It would go bad long before the sell by date. Now we shop at our local co-op or market, and get our produce delivered weekly. It's much more convenient, although a bit more expensive.
#30 of 44 Old 01-12-2008, 03:57 AM

How odd! I buy a very large share of our groceries from Trader Joe's, including bread, meat and produce, and I have never had anything go bad! How unfortunate that so many people have so many bad experiences with them. TJs is one of the most affordable ways that my family can buy food that isn't chock full of ingredients that we won't eat. I love our local co op and try to support them as much as possible, but their food is more than twice the price and out of our budget.

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page