WWYD: Acquiesce to Threats vs. Call Police - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The following story was related to me this morning from a first person witness to the events:

AA and BB arrived on the job site to discuss progress with Client C. Client C was accompanied by "Partner" DD.

DD turns out to be a local gangster from whom Client C had borrowed a significant sum of money to pay for the current job.

DD proceeds to confront and threaten AA with stalking and infers bodily harm (DD knows everything about AA, residences, businesses etc). DD infers harassment of the previous vendor and that AA should talk to the vendor to understand what DD will do to AA if AA doesn't cooperate.

BB and several other witnesses are watching this confrontation. It's obvious to BB that Client C is also scared and has probably received the same kind of threats from DD.

The confrontation continues until AA asks what it would take to get AA and the company released from the current contract.

DD states a sum and AA agrees to pay it. The money will be payed out of AA's personal savings.

AA and BB leave the job site.

--------------------------------

MY reaction to this was utter horror and concern. I suggested (and still feel) that they should have called the police.

BB's reaction was incredulity at the turn of events but acceptance of what happened and utter astonishment at the suggestion that the police be brought in.

BB's reasoning is that calling the police would have put BB and AA (and AA's family) in more danger than simply paying off DD and walking away from the job.

---------------------------------

What is your reaction? What would you have done? Am I out of line for thinking that a circumstance like this is exactly what the police are for?

BB agreed with me that the perception of safety is what keeps the mentality of "no police" alive but BB didn't see any other option.

What's done is done and nothing will change, but I want to know if I'm being completely unreasonable and naive in my reaction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2008, 01:52 PM

I'd call some family members and ask them to deal with the guy?

Otherwise - I think you'd have to judge the situation. Who is the guy connected to? How far in is he? Is he a money guy, and where is he getting his money? Is this a pure loan sharking deal, or is this an operation for money laundering through construction?

I'd probably agree that a call to the police might not be the best option for people, unless you plan on moving soon. An anonymous note to them for a head's up if you really want to I guess. Safety can be a real concern.

From now on, all the people need to NOT deal with people who are gangsters. Don't get pulled in, don't deal with someone who is. And if you are dealing with someone who is, don't get involved in that end of it. Favours aren't.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM

I would not reccommend callling the police. It will only result in other gang members getting involved and retaliate making things worse. Believe me, I know people in gangs and have a friends whose son is in a gang. Do.not.involve.police. It will make things far worse.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
Old 01-17-2008, 01:58 PM

Unless I knew someone who could bump D off then I would have paid.....

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeter9 View Post
From now on, all the people need to NOT deal with people who are gangsters. Don't get pulled in, don't deal with someone who is. And if you are dealing with someone who is, don't get involved in that end of it. Favours aren't.
Uh, yeah. Until this morning, there was absolutely NO indication that this was anything other than a normal job with a normal, albeit a-hole, client.

Ambrose and zonapellucida I get what you're saying. It still sickens me that kowtowing to this is the "right" thing to do.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:18 PM

I'd spread the word to anyone who works with the front man who took the loan. Quietly. Word of mouth gossip. Find the biggest gossips in the industry and drop it in their laps.

It isn't the RIGHT thing to do. However, it may be the safest thing to do. Right as in the best option under bad circumstances. The best of bad options.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

That's a good suggestion. Given Client C's profession, it could have an impact.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:03 PM

yes I'd call the police. immediately.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd talk to the police an find out if they an offer any protection. If they couldn't offer adequate protection, I'd pay the money.

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Yikes, what a scary encounter. What is C's profession???
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondiapers View Post
I'd talk to the police an find out if they an offer any protection. If they couldn't offer adequate protection, I'd pay the money.
chances are they don't, I'd pay and then I'd make sure the C could never get an honest person to work for him
Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM

DD is a bully! An adult, but still a childish bully! People acquiescing to his demands is what got him in the position to threaten people like this.

I'd call the police immediately! And maybe an attorney, look into protective orders, etc.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 01-17-2008, 04:24 PM

I'm sure I'm not a person to take advice from in this situation. First off I have never dealt with people that are gang members but regardless I have a FU attitude that pretty much makes it impossible to give in to blackmail. I'm the kind that would do exactly the opposite of what I'm directed to do by someone attempting to manipulate me, instead.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What is C's profession???
Engineering. This job was personal though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
I'm sure I'm not a person to take advice from in this situation. First off I have never dealt with people that are gang members but regardless I have a FU attitude that pretty much makes it impossible to give in to blackmail. I'm the kind that would do exactly the opposite of what I'm directed to do by someone attempting to manipulate me, instead.
See, this is me too. The compounding factor here is that BB is my husband so I'm even more inclined to do anything possible to protect him.

He however, having been in the middle of the situation, feels that their safety is in jeopardy if they do anything other than pay the fee agreed too (the money is what DD feels they're due on the uncompleted contract).

The only other option is to complete the job at the company's expense while still being subject to threats and intimidation from DD while they complete the work. Either way they're out the money but one way could get them out safely while the other may not.

I really can't even believe this shit happens.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 PM

If the police took threats of gang violence seriously and had an effective protection program for those who are in imminent danger, then yes I'd say call the police. Unfortunately for those involved that usually isn't the case and gang members get to their victims before police can protect them. However, there is no guarantee that DD will leave AA alone even after the sum of money is collected, so I'm kind of on the fence about this.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 01-17-2008, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelpie545 View Post
However, there is no guarantee that DD will leave AA alone even after the sum of money is collected, so I'm kind of on the fence about this.
This occurred to me as well and I presented that scenario to DH (B). He thinks it's done once the money is paid. I wonder if this guy will think there's more money to be had.

Just to clarify, by gangster, I mean organized crime vs. street gang (although I suppose there isn't much difference in many regards).

User Tag List