"DR" Phil - About Time! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 04:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Z View Post
Doesn't he have a PhD? I thought that was where the "Dr" came from. I never thought he had an MD and he has never represented himself as an MD, so why are people getting all up in arms about him "practicing medicine". If he has medical issues going on, he has actual MDs on.

I understand why people don't like him. He ticks me off sometimes too, but I don't understand why people are upset that he gives advice on an advice show. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

yeah, he is a "Dr." like "Dr." Laura Schlessinger is. Phd. degree -not medical or therapeutic who managed to get a show by virtue of celebrity, controversy or kissing the right butt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
UM no, not in the US. Every state I've lived in ( including CA ) has licensing requirements to practice in the state.
There are licensing requirements in all states, but it does not mean that you need to be licensed to practice psychotherapy. You could have a fifth grade education and call yourself a psychotherapist, but you could not call yourself a psychologist.
#63 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 05:29 AM

I never understood why Oprah endorsed him to begin with. I remember seeing him on her show a few years ago now and took an instant dislike to him.. I didn't like his shaming tactics and his arrogance.

Peace
#64 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyslipper View Post
There are licensing requirements in all states, but it does not mean that you need to be licensed to practice psychotherapy. You could have a fifth grade education and call yourself a psychotherapist, but you could not call yourself a psychologist.

:

afro.jpg
#65 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM

I liked him when he first came out, I liked what he had to say eventhough I didn't agree with everything. Now, he had his taste of fame, so he doesn't care anymore and only cares how many viewers he can get and how much $$ he can bring home.
#66 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaB View Post
I have never liked that man. He simultaneously creeps me out and makes me mad.
Angela

Exactly

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#67 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole lisa View Post
A complaint for practicing without a license has been filed against Dr. Phil.

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-drphil...ll=ktla-news-2
Finally. I've been trying to tell people for years this guy's a quack. But for some reason, people just love him.
#68 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandiRhoades View Post
Yes, I think he does. Most people don't understand MD vs PhD. The same thing happened with Dr. Laura, who has a PhD in physiology. Okay, I think the woman's a nut, but she has a doctorate. She never said she was a psychatrist. People got upset, though, because they thought a doctor had to be an MD.
But I believe "Dr." Phil's "degree" is actually from a diploma mill.
#69 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

according to the bio on Dr Phil's web site, he went to North Texas State University for his MA and a PhD in clinical psychology.

The university is now known as University of North Texas. it appears to be a noteable, accredited university.

According to Wikipedia, the university went by the name North Texas State University between 1961 and 1989, likely when Dr Phil attended university there.

Linked from the wikipedia article is another wikipedia article on notable alumni, of which Dr Phil is listed under "Arts and Media" as a "television personality and psychologist."

of course, this assumes that both Dr Phil, the wiki, and the university are providing accurate information. but i think that the situation would have been remedied if the university wished to deny that he was a graduate due to any wrongdoing on Dr Phil's part (such as claiming a fraudulent degree from that university).

so, i do not think that his PhD is through a "diploma mill" considering the university and how many noteable graduates they do have. it's pretty impressive. i mean, it looks like a good school.

the wiki article about Dr Phil is actually quite interesting, in that he hasn't been working as a psychologist, as a therapist, since the 1989 censure. he apparently took an alternative path--one that doesn't require a license and still utilizes his education--which brought him to where he is today.

a lot of the wiki isn't very flattering, and goodness, i now know more about Dr Phil than i ever cared to know.

just because i wanted to look up the university. LOL

bleh.
#70 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Finally. I've been trying to tell people for years this guy's a quack. But for some reason, people just love him.
Anyone can file a complaint...it does not mean that he did anything wrong...yet!
#71 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 04:29 PM

He's a real shrink. He's not actually providing psychiatric services on his show - if you pay attention, it's for "entertainment purposes only." Much like Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN isn't diagnosing you over the airwaves when he tells you about a new drug or describes symptoms of a condition. I doubt very much that anything will actually "happen" to Dr. Phil - and I am quite certain that he pulls in enough ratings and, thus, ad money to make him a lucrative property for years to come - and that is the name of the game.
#72 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I haven't like Dr. Phil since he completely discounted and ridiculed a woman for feeling regret and sadness over her son's circumcision.
:Puke Could never stand the guy, though I have family members who love him.
#73 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Not true in CA. You could call yourself a mentor or a coach or spiritual advisor, but not a psychotherapist. Visit the CABBS site for more information if you're interested. http://www.bbs.ca.gov/
#74 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
according to the bio on Dr Phil's web site, he went to North Texas State University for his MA and a PhD in clinical psychology.

bleh.
Thanks for setting me straight Zoe. I thought I had read an article about his degree being from an unaccredited uni, but maybe I had him confused with someone else...
#75 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 PM

I hope he gets canceled.

He annoys the piss out of me!

Erika SO to *S*: and Aunt to *A*(10), *Z*(9), and *D*(8)
#76 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquibsNCrackers View Post
Not true in CA. You could call yourself a mentor or a coach or spiritual advisor, but not a psychotherapist. Visit the CABBS site for more information if you're interested. http://www.bbs.ca.gov/
Awesome!

afro.jpg
#77 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I visited the site out of interest, but just cannot find where it says it is illegal to advertise yourself as a psychotherapist? There are definite laws for the licensed professionals, but I had a hard time finding the spiritual advisors and life coach statues and regulations. If you have a second can you give me the direct link. Thanks
#78 of 86 Old 01-18-2008, 09:04 PM

Dr. Phil's show WAS one of my guilty pleasures, but I wouldn't admit it to anyone except my DH (and a few thousand MDC'ers ). That being said, I don't like his show these days. In previous years, I think he truly helped people (along with making money, of course), these days it's all about money and is really no better than TMZ trash. Makes me gag, how sleazy it is.

ETA: Oh, yeah... my whole reason for posting was to ask why Oprah and Dr. Pheel were on the outs... fill me in!!
#79 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 02:04 AM

I have never liked him. EVER.
#80 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 02:09 AM
RAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgirl View Post
Thanks for setting me straight Zoe. I thought I had read an article about his degree being from an unaccredited uni, but maybe I had him confused with someone else...
I think this way John Grey, the author of Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.
#81 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 03:20 AM

Quote:
I visited the site out of interest, but just cannot find where it says it is illegal to advertise yourself as a psychotherapist? There are definite laws for the licensed professionals, but I had a hard time finding the spiritual advisors and life coach statues and regulations. If you have a second can you give me the direct link. Thanks
http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/publications/lawsregs.pdf

The very first section as listed in the table of contents is entitled "Necessity of License."

It says, among other things:
"(b) No person may engage in the practice of marriage and family therapy as defined by Section 4980.02, unless he or she holds a valid license as a marriage and family therapist, or unless he or she is specifically exempted from that requirement, nor may any person advertise himself or herself as performing the services of a marriage, family, child, domestic, or marital consultant, or in any way use these or any similar titles, including the letters “M.F.T.” or “M.F.C.C.,” or other name, word initial, or symbol in connection with or following his or her name to imply that he or she performs these services without a license as provided by this chapter."

A friend of mine just completed the GRUELING process of getting her MFT license in California. I had a hard time believing she would have gone through all that if she didn't HAVE to in order to practice. ;-) (I was able to look up her license on that site, too... kinda nifty!)

The really funny thing about this thread? I turned around and told DH about it, and introduced it like this: "So, you know how your dad isn't *really* a lawyer? Turns out Dr. Phil isn't *really* a therapist in exactly the same way!" (FIL's license was suspended 7 years ago, and he never bothered to pay the fees involved in getting it back. He also never bothered to TELL us about it... my mom found out randomly on the Internet.)
#82 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:

It's in the first paragraph here:
http://www.bbs.ca.gov/consumer/consu...h_online.shtml

and the first paragraph here:

As far as I know there are no statutes and regulations governing life coaches and spiritual advisors.
#83 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
It's in the first paragraph here:

and the first paragraph here:

As far as I know there are no statutes and regulations governing life coaches and spiritual advisors.

I certainly cannot dispute that information...good job finding it. Good for California....and the consumer! As part of the mental health field...I have come across licensed people who were not too "stable" themselves, so it is probaly best to stick with "buyer beware" even after finding out the indivdual holds a license.
#84 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 05:46 PM

I've always felt he was a wolf in sheep's clothing.
#85 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 06:42 PM

My 13 year old daughter asked "What are you reading"

I said "oh, just something about Dr. Phil not having a licence"

and she goes

"Well he's so rich, he doesn't need a licence, he could just get a limo"

I do think that at the beginning or end of the show there is some disclaimer in the credits about that and I think the guests have to sign a waiver and that there are real therapists that he assigns them to after the show.

I am betting that his butt is completely covered legally with regards to the show.

He might have a problem if he was "practicing" with Britany Spears though.
#86 of 86 Old 01-19-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/publications/lawsregs.pdf

The very first section as listed in the table of contents is entitled "Necessity of License."

It says, among other things:
"(b) No person may engage in the practice of marriage and family therapy as defined by Section 4980.02, unless he or she holds a valid license as a marriage and family therapist, or unless he or she is specifically exempted from that requirement, nor may any person advertise himself or herself as performing the services of a marriage, family, child, domestic, or marital consultant, or in any way use these or any similar titles, including the letters “M.F.T.” or “M.F.C.C.,” or other name, word initial, or symbol in connection with or following his or her name to imply that he or she performs these services without a license as provided by this chapter."

A friend of mine just completed the GRUELING process of getting her MFT license in California. I had a hard time believing she would have gone through all that if she didn't HAVE to in order to practice. ;-) (I was able to look up her license on that site, too... kinda nifty!)

The really funny thing about this thread? I turned around and told DH about it, and introduced it like this: "So, you know how your dad isn't *really* a lawyer? Turns out Dr. Phil isn't *really* a therapist in exactly the same way!" (FIL's license was suspended 7 years ago, and he never bothered to pay the fees involved in getting it back. He also never bothered to TELL us about it... my mom found out randomly on the Internet.)
This seems to only apply to marriage and family therapists and not psychologists as Mr. Phil claims himself to be.

afro.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page