Holy crap, Heath Ledger is dead - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#151 of 170 Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiharshe View Post
I'm not going to read all the pages, but was it an accident? I loved him as an actor!
Unknown at this time. Perhaps answers in a couple of weeks.
#152 of 170 Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMama View Post
i see. instead of promoting the gay agenda he should have been doing something moral- like harassing a dead man and his mourning family. now it's clear.
Heh.

You know, I don't usually get worked up over deaths of celebrities, but this one is really sad to me. I loved his work in Brokeback, and it seems like he was a really good dad, and just a cool guy. I was sad when I heard he and Michelle separated. He's the same age as I am, and it's just too soon to go. The article posted above from the NYT is really good.

Kind of OT, but Kama said something earlier in this thread about the return of Saturn. I'd never heard of that, so I googled it. I'm 28, dh is 29 and both of us thought that it's pretty right on in describing what people go through at this age.
#153 of 170 Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM

I feel so sad over this. Not exactly about Heath, I didn't know him personally. Of course I'm sad for his family, and dd, but overall I can't (and I can) believe how sick and twisted the media is on this.

Even in this thread, mentions of Lindsay Lohan, Olsen twins, drugs, depression, overdose, suicide. TMZ repeats. When did TMZ become a source to repeat. It's all gossip.

All anybody knows is a man was found dead. I just caught a few seconds of one trashy news show saying how confused Heath was in a recent interview. They showed a clip, and he didn't look or sound confused, he looked tired. Which is how I would also look after doing interviews all day.

I have prescription drugs in my home. If I die unexpectedly is the first thing my friends and family will say is I committed suicide? I hope not.

The only correlation between Heath, I can see from the information I have now, and River Phoenix is their both actors that died young.

It's just so sad, repulsive, and ugly. Let the man rest in peace, light a candle, say you will miss his future projects. Don't assume you know anything about the reasons behind his death. I can just see the US Weekly covers now. It's sick.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#154 of 170 Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 PM

caught this yesterday, and I'm still omg'ing. So sad. Brokeback Mountain was so beautiful, what a great actor. /sigh
#155 of 170 Old 01-23-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000 View Post
I feel so sad over this. Not exactly about Heath, I didn't know him personally. Of course I'm sad for his family, and dd, but overall I can't (and I can) believe how sick and twisted the media is on this.

Even in this thread, mentions of Lindsay Lohan, Olsen twins, drugs, depression, overdose, suicide. TMZ repeats. When did TMZ become a source to repeat. It's all gossip.

All anybody knows is a man was found dead. I just caught a few seconds of one trashy news show saying how confused Heath was in a recent interview. They showed a clip, and he didn't look or sound confused, he looked tired. Which is how I would also look after doing interviews all day.

I have prescription drugs in my home. If I die unexpectedly is the first thing my friends and family will say is I committed suicide? I hope not.

The only correlation between Heath, I can see from the information I have now, and River Phoenix is their both actors that died young.

It's just so sad, repulsive, and ugly. Let the man rest in peace, light a candle, say you will miss his future projects. Don't assume you know anything about the reasons behind his death. I can just see the US Weekly covers now. It's sick.
It is pretty sad how quickly the media is to jump to thoughts of suicide. It is known (yeah I'm a big dork) that he was taking sleeping pills, he mentioned it in interviews about doing the new Batman. There's no reason to assume he was taking them for anything other than the fact that he needed sleep, and being an actor, especially an actor who has to play a psychopath, can seriously mess with your sleeping pattern. These are people who work 16 hour days during shooting, and then are expected to go out and promote their work at night. No it's not back breaking labor, but just because he had trouble getting to bed doesn't give the media the right to smear his memory by framing it up as a celeb suicide before anyone knows what really killed him.
#156 of 170 Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM

Update: headline only currently from CNN
Quote:
The New York City medical examiner's office has ruled that Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.
I imagine there will be more info to follow.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#157 of 170 Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM

That's what I figured this whole time. It likely had something to do with the mix of sleeping pills and antihistamine.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#158 of 170 Old 02-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorseMama View Post
Update: headline only currently from CNN
I imagine there will be more info to follow.
#159 of 170 Old 02-06-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Heath Ledger died from an accidental overdose of prescription medications including painkillers, anti-anxiety drugs and sleeping pills, the New York City medical examiner's office said Tuesday.

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," the office said in a short statement.

"We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."
http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ger/index.html

Regretfully, we're waiting on this same result from my younger brother who combines 'scrip drugs all the time and has sleep apnea.

An Official, Approved Signatureâ¢
#160 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 PM

"Mr. Heath Ledger died as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam, and doxylamine," the office said in a short statement.

"We have concluded that the manner of death is accident, resulting from the abuse of prescription medications."

Accidental? don't most normal people know that you can't take more than one narcotic (the oxy and hydrocodone) at a time? Hello! The next 3 are all of same type of meds too. Why do you even have all 3 of them???

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#161 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Accidental? don't most normal people know that you can't take more than one narcotic (the oxy and hydrocodone) at a time? Hello! The next 3 are all of same type of meds too. Why do you even have all 3 of them???
If he has 3 different brands of benzos, it seems to suggest he was drug seeking, maybe using different doctors and pharmacies. Yes, most people know you shouldn't double up your narcotics, that's why the death was determined to be the result of rx abuse. I was watching something on oxy abuse, recently. Apparently, it's pretty common for kids to OD on oxy when mixing it with benzos, even in extremely small doses.
#162 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post
Sure . . . just like "most normal people" know you shouldn't take huge amounts of Tylenol as it can be fatal. But then there are abnormal, irrational people like me, who in the throes of extreme pain think, "Tylenol is safe, I can just take some more Tylenol" and end up with an overdose. I took a potentially fatal overdose of Tylenol twice to cope with unbearable pain before I figured out that all the vomiting was a result of taking too much Tylenol - and on an empty stomach - and not just a stomach bug. Had I died (a real possibility at the dosage I took, and yes I feel stupid about it, but people make mistakes), it was NOT suicide. It was an accident. (Obviously, I wasn't trying to get high on Tylenol, either.)

Sometimes people get cocky. Or think they know what they can and can't take. Or think, "Ugh, last night I tried X and Y, they said I could have 2 every 6 hours, but it didn't work, so maybe if I try Y and Z, and take 4 instead of 2, it'll actually work and I'll actually get some friggin' sleep." And then they're dead.

Who knows if he was addicted to or abusing the drugs . . . but I certainly wasn't intentionally abusing Tylenol when I OD'd (either time). I was just using it in a way that it wasn't indicated and, in a somewhat irrational frame of mind due to pain, thought was safe.

Also, diazepam (valium) does nothing to me. NOTHING. I don't understand it but if I hadn't had the Tylenol experience, I might have stupidly taken more or combined it with something else in the hope of getting some relief. Instead, these days I'm very careful about what I'm taking, any interactions with other things, and following the instructions as prescribed (as well as double checking to make sure the instructions are correct, reasonable and safe!).

I really can see just how easy it would be for this to be an accident. I don't suppose we'll ever know what, if any, level of prescription medication abuse was going on. Maybe the investigation into where he got the different Rxs will help, but maybe not - it could have just been that he had multiple doctors in multiple countries and parts of the U.S. and they weren't all communicating. Or he said, "I've tried that and it didn't work - is there something else I can try?" and ended up with something different.

It's just really sad and unnecessary and such a loss.
#163 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Plus, people just forget what they have already taken.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#164 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly View Post
Plus, people just forget what they have already taken.
Yeah. I remember my mom drilling it into my head that you never keep medication near the bed. You should have to get up and walk, preferably across a cold bathroom or kitchen floor, to get at your pills. Improves the odds that you will become alert enough to realise that you already took your pain pill/ sleeping pill/ whatever.
#165 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM

from a news report I heard yesterday, he did not have enough of any of the drugs alone in his system to kill him..it was the combination/interaction of the different types that did it. This was on CBC news in Canada.

They said there were normal-small amounts of each of six different drugs in his system.

From that it sounds to me like he was self-medicating, took this, few hours later took that with some of this etc. etc.

My ex is an oxy addict. He is so "drowsy" on that drug that he's really, basically incoherent, ..I could imagine him losing track of time, forgetting he already took some, taking some more, something different, just completely oblivious from the effects.

I think it was accidental in that he didn't mean to kill himself. Otherwise he would have taken enough of one of those drugs to do the job.

I used to have severe insomnia. It scares me some of the things I took to get some sleep. I once took a combination that left me asleep for 20 hours. I don't have a clue what it all was but there was ibuprophen, acetomenophen and some sleep aids.

Never underestimate the effects of long-term sleep deprivation either. I remember just wishing I would die to get some sleep, though never intending to actually kill myself.

There but for the grace of God as they say....

#166 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 PM

I believe it was accidental as well. I mean, he had said in interviews that he was dealing with severe insomnia, plus at the time of his death he had pneumonia. He must have just so desperately wanted some rest.

~Beth, mama to two amazing girls, ages 12 and 6~

#167 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM

[QUOTE=allgirls;10488353
I used to have severe insomnia. It scares me some of the things I took to get some sleep. I once took a combination that left me asleep for 20 hours. I don't have a clue what it all was but there was ibuprophen, acetomenophen and some sleep aids.

Never underestimate the effects of long-term sleep deprivation either. I remember just wishing I would die to get some sleep, though never intending to actually kill myself.

There but for the grace of God as they say....

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I struggle with insomnia - at times incredibly severe and resistant to all drugs - and it is virtually impossible to convey the sense of desperation you feel when in the throes of an ongoing insomnia episode. I read somewhere Heath said he had gotten only 2 hours of sleep a night for several weeks. I have been there, and it can drive you into a pretty confused state. I can remember running around my apartment one time in the middle of the night, weeping, wanting to pull myhair out, punching at walls, taking everything I could get my hands on (including smoking pot and taking prescription cough medicine and sleeping pills) just to try to get some SLEEP. It sounds like that's where Heath was, which may explain some of the seemingly stupid mixing of pills.

So sad for his family and little daughter.

Mama to 2 mopheaded rascals
#168 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Early reports said that some of the medications had been prescribed by doctors here in the United States while other had been prescribed in Europe while he was overseas filming. If that is the case he might not have been aware of the danger of taking them all at the same time - or it could have been that he was so desperate for a night of sleep that he took the prescribed dose of everything he had and unfortunately did not survive the reaction.
#169 of 170 Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclisa View Post

The thing is if your on a medication for a long amount of time you develop a tolerance to it. So while you might still take it, you start taking something else with it so that you can get the desired effect. Like my Mom was prescribed oxycodone when she had her leg amputated, and in a matter of weeks it barely touched the pain. So we had to move on to another medication.

I don't believe that Heath was prescribed all of these medications from the same Doctor, or maybe he didn't have a prescription at all and bought them from threw other sources.

I've battled insomnia for years. I've tried several heavy medications to get sleep. There were times when I was so tired and I took one medication, and still up, so I mixed it with another in hope to finally get rest.

I can see how if somebody took one medication, developed a dependency BUT wasn't getting the desired effect, would mix it then with another, then that mixture doesn't work, you add another. Then one day you loose your life, and you never intended for that to happen.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#170 of 170 Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page