Birth Center Design Ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-25-2008, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need Some Input and Ideas Please
I also posted this in Birth and Beyond. Then I realized I might get more input here
I am a student Interior Designer. I am in my last semester of school and we are designing a free standing birthing center for our main project. I would like for you all to give me some input on what you would like in a birthing center.

My inspiration (not theme - 2 different things) right now is spring. It is a time of birth and growth. Blooming flowers signify the body opening to allow the baby to be born.

I would like input on everything from the lighting, mood, art and decor, things you think should be included in a birthing room or center. Anything you can think of. I had both of my babies in a hospital (however my experience w/ ds2 was different because he was born naturally and I had a midwife - who was wonderful) so I do not have experience in a birth center but I have some ideas on things that would be beneficial to the birthing mother. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 04:51 PM

Hmm. Could the birthing rooms be upstairs (or have a ranch style) so there could be skylights? And sliding doors to a balcony (or patio) with a view of a garden. It would be nice, while walking during labor, to be able to step out of your birthing room and have a nice view of a garden, and walk out into the garden.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Nice comfortable rocking chairs/gliders and a cradle to put baby in when mom uses the restroom etc. instead of a plastic isolette. Medical equipment hidden in nice wood cabinets. Queen sized bed for partners to sleep together after the birth (this was available where I had my dd and it was really nice). It was an adjustable hospital bed, but queen sized. The second time I signed us out early AMA because I can't sleep alone comfortably. I wanted to go home and be in my own bed next to my dh. Railing along the free spaces on the wall(both in the rooms and the hallways) to hold onto and squat if necessary....or to hold onto to sway and breath through a contraction. A comfortable livingroom/family room area instead of a sterile waiting room for family members. Whirl pool tubs in the private bathrooms....

Heather married to my highschool sweetheart 6/7/02 :cop: Mother to Dani age 14 and Timmy age 10 Nadia 1/29 :
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM

ITA with all of the suggestions above. wow skylights and large beds would be great. i think plants are always a plus but i'm not sure if that's an issue as far as potential allergies... also, a fridge in each room so you don't have to go to a communal area to store your special iced tea or morning after goodies. big square footstools to be used during labor to lean on and afterwards for guests without having too many chairs in the room.
i'll keep thinking. what a fun thing to plan!
Old 01-25-2008, 09:58 PM

no/low contrast color palette. (everything in similar shades) for a "calm" effect.

User Tag List