S/O Nasties... let's talk gas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2008, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
How open are you with your wind breakage?

In front of family? In front of just about anyone? Or are you one who lays the blame elsewhere?

And what do you call it?

poots?
toots?
farts?
air biscuits?
etc?

I could go on and on, this topic is covered quite often in our house, as we seem to be extremely gassy for some reason! Not me of course!!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
and another A due July 2015!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At home, we have competitions to see who can let the loudest smelliest one go. We're all for it at home. Out in public, I am discreet. I can usually tell beforehand if it's gonna be smelly or not, and if it is, I get to a peopleless place to fart. Dh, OTOH, will let a really stinky one go in the middle of a store and keep walking, laughing all the way.

We call 'em farts here.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM

I fart at home, but I never would in front of anyone but my husband and kids. I dont POOP in public either. I have trained myself from an early age. LOL

I usually say "toot"

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 PM

at home i'm not discreet at all nor are any of my family members, in public i am much more discreet...unless i'm with my sister, she's a bad influence

if it's a little not so tinky one it's a toot, when it's loud and/or stinky it's a fart :

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

Old 01-30-2008, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Only at home in front of family. Although a couple years ago we were eating dinner with my parents at a restaurant and I thought I could slip one out, everyone still talks about it to this day. In my defense, I did get a stomach bug later on that night so I did have a reason for the potency.

And they are called farts around here.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I "toot" (as we call it) in front of everyone but my DH. Isn't that weird? I don't know why I don't feel comfortable "letting loose" in front of him. I do all kinds of other gross stuff when he's around. And Lord knows he's not shy about farting in close proximity to me.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 PM

i used to not fart. but when dh and i got together, he actually asked me why he never heard 'em. then, he told me it was bad for my butthole to hold farts in and that i would get hemmeroids (sp??) so . . . we just let 'em go. wherever, whenever.

dh's favorite is to sneak a stinky one in a public place and then walk a little ways away to see people's reactions. and . . .my favorite is to sneak one while i'm waiting on a customer at work and watch their face.

and we call 'em farts. altho i do like the term 'air biscuit.'
Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 PM

Well, since my VBA2C, where I sustained a 4th degree tear.... my "chocolate starfish" has never worked properly again.

So, unfortunately, for those around me, I have no control whatsoever - that means public, private, church, sex, whatever, if the toots are there...they are OUT and they are noisy but a little feminine too

I was very upset about this for a few weeks, till I decided that I wanted my vbac and I got my vbac so I had no reason to complain!!!

As a side note: I think that alone is keeping our 16 year old mother's helper chaste right now!! :LOL
Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM

I don't "fluff" in front of anyone, ever, if I can help it at all. I know it's natural and normal but I just can't do it. I definitely don't want to encourage my boys to fluff in front of girls, either, so they are polite until I leave the room. Then, DH and the sons have at it.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:52 PM

I say fart. If we're at home, I don't care who is around. I generally won't fart in public though.

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 PM

Farting is a major bonding experience between dh and I. I can't imagine our relationship without the daily interactions:

Me: Ooooh, I've got a stinky one brewing for you!
*Bbbbrrrrrttt*
Dh: Oh, man! That was a great one! Phew! Thanks honey!

I actually have my Bachelor of Farts degree from dh university. My last requirement before graduation was an intentional public fart where more than one stranger knew it was me.

I'm pretty shy about farting around anyone other than dh and ds, though.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM

OMG this thread is killing me! :

We call them farts and I generally try to avoid farting in public. But I must admit that ever since I gave birth I fart waaaaay more often and they're waaaaay stinkier. (And for the first few months PP I couldn't control them AT ALL.) Am I the only one whose farts have changed PP? Anyone know why this happens?

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Joseph View Post
"chocolate starfish"
laughup :

Mama to DS (3/7/06)om.gif, DSD  hearts.gif(11/17/02), DD (1/16/08 )energy.gif ,  DS2 (5/30/10) sleepytime.gif and Baby Quinn angel.gif (R.I.P 3/22/13)

Old 01-30-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

OMG, I love it! I'm glad we aren't the only ones!

We usually call them poots here, but James sometimes comes up with unique names for each one. There are squeakers, rumblers, slippers, etc... I tried to get in the habit of calling them "pops" with the kids, and Asheby says that now. He will also tell us(by imitating the sound) if he, or anyone else around him lets one go. Be careful if he comes into the bathroom with you!!

I am VERY shy when it comes to gas and I never do it in front of anyone!! I am soooo embarrassed! James wants me too though!

We are having chili tonight, and while I love it, it tears me up! I never used to be like this!!

Oh, and Amethyst, my goodness, that girl can keep right up with James! It's almost scary!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
Old 01-30-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

James also does it in public, or anywhere, and then he says "don't worry honey, you can blame it on me". Ahhhh!!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
Old 01-30-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post

We call them farts and I generally try to avoid farting in public. But I must admit that ever since I gave birth I fart waaaaay more often and they're waaaaay stinkier. (And for the first few months PP I couldn't control them AT ALL.) Am I the only one whose farts have changed PP? Anyone know why this happens?
You're not the only one. It's over 2 years since I had ds and my farts are still frequent and really stinky. It really worried me for the first few months, but now I'm getting used to it.

I'd love to know why this happens too!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 PM

I try to hold it until I am in the bathroom or another private area. DH doesn't. And the kids love to rat him out when "Daddy gasied".
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I try not to fart in front of people, but I tend to fart as I'm falling asleep : Poor DH, he never says anything or reacts.

I have never heard him fart. He's such a delicate little flower. I have smelled it though but he always looks too embarrassed for me to make fun of him.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

Old 01-30-2008, 09:58 PM

toots. I try very hard to only toot to myself.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:05 PM

We all fart openly at home, and it's shamefully fun to make jokes about farts and poops and burps with dh and dd.

I don't fart in public if people might hear/smell.

BTW my MIL detests the word "fart". She considers the word to really obscene.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
I try not to fart in front of people, but I tend to fart as I'm falling asleep : Poor DH, he never says anything or reacts.

I have never heard him fart. He's such a delicate little flower. I have smelled it though but he always looks too embarrassed for me to make fun of him.
Don't you just hate that!? You're almost alseep when.... bbrrrrtttt. OMG, how embarrassing. James has mentioned it me before. I almost died.

Oh, and I just remembered, when Asheby was coming out, and he came out warp speed with no pushing on my part, James said I did "it". And my mom was in the room also!! Ugh...

How cute about your dh Laggie!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 AM

We call them farts here, but I don't think anyone has ever heard or smelled me do it. I try to be super discreet. Probably because I grew up with all girls, even though now I live with all boys. Not sure.

My husband OTOH is notorious for his gas problem. His online handle is "bad gass". For reals.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 AM

At home, anything goes.

The kids like to call them "barking spiders". I'm not really sure where that came from, probably DH...but I didn't ever hear him say that until they started saying that!
Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 AM

We were at the table the other night when DD(4) let one loose. "There goes one," she said, totally deadpan without missing a beat.

They're toots or farts in this house. And don't ever feed me garlic or you will pay.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:26 AM

Farting is a great past time in our house, and was in my house growing up! My mom was the type to poop with the door open, and say "oh, smell that!". Yup yup. Dh and I regularly fart on each other-wrestle, pin each other down and fart...our kids fart and laugh...ext. I've never been shy about it. I pinned dh down and farted on him after we'd only been together for two weeks. My view is that hey, it's a bodily function, and it's going to happen no matter what, so why not have fun with it? Don't worry though, we're not that way in public. At least not unless I've had beans....no, j/k.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 01-31-2008, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

poots are sooooo funny!!

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerchild View Post
The kids like to call them "barking spiders".
And here I thought that a "barking spider" was native to the Desert Southwest. Must be an ecological invasion moving its way across the West!

All bets are off with farts in my house! Most of the time I jokingly blame it on my DD or any other child that may be in the house. With good friends it is just a way to say "I love you and trust you with my fartin' self" I know they feel the same about me too!

Though, funnily, I have a "friend"(ahem) who has been my "friend" for over a year and I have never farted in front of him. Don't think he'd mind but I just haven't.

Kathy

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

User Tag List