Dh just lost us $500 on eBay - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I'm ready to KILLLLLLLLLLLLLL him. Seriously.

He bought an aquarium light from a person with only 8 feedback, paid over $500, and the guy hasn't returned any of his emails. We got his contact info, dh called him, and big surprise!, his phone has been disconnected.

Because the guy has less than 50 feedback, we're only eligible for $200 reimbursed.

I'm really ready to kill my dh. Hold me back. We just moved x-country for dh's new job and money is tight til he gets a paycheck... even if money weren't tight, $300 is a lot of money!!!!!!! I'm so ticked!!!!!

Give me some zen words or something.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG I would be livid!
#3 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

I know!!!!!!!! I'm sooooo livid!!!!

I guess the moral of the story is: only do transactions with people who have more than 50 feedback.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I'M SO MAD!

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#4 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 PM

No Zen words of wisdom here. I'd be pissed too! Sorry mama!!!

One by one the days are slipping up behind you ~ One by one the sweetest days of life go by :
-Woodie Guthrie
#5 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:49 PM

Oh honey I am so sorry. I am glad you are getting some money back. Did you contact paypal (if you used them?) That's really tough. I have been burned on ebay before with people who have over 200 feedback. It was never more than $50, but still. So I guess it can happen anywhere.
#6 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your family is fine. You are safe. You are healthy. You have fish! These are all good things. Think about them.
#7 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM

Isn't that illegal? Isn't it going to be really easy for LE to track this guy down and arrest him?
#8 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OMG I'm so sorry.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#9 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
You have fish!
We don't have any fish! It was going to be too much of a pita to transport two tanks 2000 miles (in the cold), so dh gave them to some hs'ing families.

To compensate for his loss, I told him that when we got here he could get a bigger tank and all the fixins' for it.

But yes. We're here. We're healthy.

treehugger.gif Erika
#10 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyastara View Post
Isn't that illegal? Isn't it going to be really easy for LE to track this guy down and arrest him?
He has filed a complaint with eBay and PayPal; apparently they have 20 days to contact the member about the claim.

I have the person's name and I looked them up on zaba, but the phone numbers were all disconnected.

treehugger.gif Erika
#11 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM

That really sucks. We moved in the past few months, and money is very tight, and I would freak

But....perspective. In 10 years, will you care about this $300? Likely not. But, in 10 years, will you care about your relationship with dh? Yes, you will. You will be so glad that you didn't kill him, or even say all of those nasty things you really want to say right now
#12 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Did he happen to pay with a credit card??? Your CC company should have insurance for this.

I think it's worth it to pay the fees if the buyer asks for them just for this reason!

Good luck.

Carla
#13 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM

I just PM'd you. Yes, I would be LIVID. Yacht shopping aside, $$ is very tight for us right now and this would piss me off.

If it makes you feel any better, my DH lost us $1500 a few years ago by buying a TIMESHARE () and he DID NOT CONSULT ME.

Yep, there was some screaming and tears going on, but we got past it. (now we can actually laugh - sort of - about it).

#14 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#15 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Have you contacted eBay? Usually they're pretty good about helping out.

Also...500 bucks for an aquarium light? HOLY MOLY. How big is the thing?

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#16 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 PM

DH bought almost 400.00 worth of fake goods on e-bay last year.

We filed a claim with PP as soon as we had proof that it was counterfeit from the real maker and after jumping through a few hoops did get all our money back.

The one seller refunded right away and did not want the item back.

The second said they would refund as soon as the jacket was sent back(we did with proof so we could show PP) but then refused to do the refund.

Kept asking us to drop the claim umm nope..once the claim is closed I can't reopen it.
So I e-mailed the proof to PP as well as spoke to them on the phone that we had sent item back and it had been received and in a few weeks PP refunded our money.

But you have to act fast so PP has the chance to freeze the money in their account before they move it out.

Hope it works out for you.I so remember the sick feeling I had when I found out we had been scammed.
#17 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM

That sucks.
#18 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 PM

If you used a cc to pay via paypal then you can file a claim with your cc company. But paypal will get mad and you may lose your account with them over it. BUT, many cc companies only hold you liable for up to $50 in cases like this.

Good luck and I hope you get at least most of the $$ back. It sucks when people do things like that. Karma will take care of everything in the end.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#19 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:46 PM

when my Dh does something like this, ( I am a freak about our household money) I try to remember that I make mistakes too. I wouldn't want my DH to berrate me and make me feel worse than I already do. So, have compassion, and compassion will come back to you.
Sorry about the $$$ that sucks.
#20 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM

omg.
#21 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:51 PM

Okay, you have really bad luck w/fish. Weren't you the one that had dead fish arrive at your door and you had to get your money back?? In any case, that would suck to lose $500 to a deadbeat seller. I hope there's some recourse for his actions!

, , , mama to Ross , Reagan (8/29/05), Joshua (from Haiti...here NOW due to the earthquake!), and Elijah , born safely 9-8-09.
#22 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. I'm more calm. I'm lanolizing some shorties, that seems to help. Can't be mad when washing adorable wool stuff...

So, dh contacted the cc we were using with paypal, and they'll cover it within 45 days as long as their is a fraud report with ebay and pp, blah blah blah. He filed the fraud thingy with pp, and I can file with eBay tomorrow morning. So things should be okay. Deep breath.

Thanks for the perspective mamas.

For reference, you can ask dh (should you ever, like, meet him or something) about how I bought a zillion : and loved them... then decided to change my whole stash... then decided to change it back... all the while losing money buying and re-selling.

I guess the diff is that I'm like laying awake at night thinking about finances and dh is more, ho hum, it'll get paid somehow.

treehugger.gif Erika
#23 of 32 Old 02-11-2008, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

And yeah, we seem to have something in our lives about : we seem to have a lot of issues around them.

My dh bought some fish, they died, the store refused to issue a refund on some technicality; I got us refunded by returning the dead fish to the store... by USPS.

treehugger.gif Erika
#24 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 AM

Well, the guy has 8 feedback now. And one should guarantee he never sells on ebay again.
#25 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
That's really sucky, we bought a PS3 on Ebay from someone with no feedback, thankfully the guy was legit

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#26 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 01:53 AM

How did this person obtain your money? Was it debited out of your bank account? Or CC?
You might want to contact your bank if so, and file a dispute for this charge.
You authorized a purchase for goods that were never recieved. And the merchant has refused any further communication. Your bank and the cc company will go after them.
*Sorry, you did that*
Keep on top of it, though and follow through with all the paperwork. I have had this happen with my bank.
All my best!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#27 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 AM

Do you have his address (if you dont and have his full name I subscribe to a realty website and I can see if he owns property, so his name = his address, just PM me his name, or email, im pretty great at stalking) ? Seems like something similar happened to me or a friend a million years ago and you can report it to his local police.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#28 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 03:44 AM

PP and e-bay might turn out to be more helpful than you think. My ds1 bid on a small item last year and I paid through PP with my CC. The guy never sent the item and never returned my messages. I contacted both PP and e-bay and they returned our money. But like I said, that was a small item, so I'm not sure how they treat larger claims differently.

A happy woman
#29 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 AM

I was going to suggest you file with your card issuer. I know my bank (Washington Mutual) would. I hope you get every penny back!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#30 of 32 Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
If you used a cc to pay via paypal then you can file a claim with your cc company. But paypal will get mad and you may lose your account with them over it. BUT, many cc companies only hold you liable for up to $50 in cases like this.

Good luck and I hope you get at least most of the $$ back. It sucks when people do things like that. Karma will take care of everything in the end.
If you paid with a credit card you WILL be able to get it all back. So ALWAYS USE a credit card when doing paypal.

Paypal has no issues with people doing chargebacks for fraud as long as they first file the paypal claim. Paypal will then find for you. Then, if they can't "recover" the full amount then you can do the chargeback.

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page