Nope, I buy and wear 69 32.70%
sometimes, and heres my explanation.... 48 22.75%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm absolutely a freak about washing before wear! I worked at a discount retailer, and the clothes are NASTY in the store. They come in dusty boxes, hang in the back with industrial dust/crud, and then they are tried on by all sorts of people. YUCK! So, I wash before wear 99.9999999% of the time. The one exception is packaged nylons. They never look good after they're washed a few times, so I wash as rarely as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 09:20 PM

Generally I buy and wear. I never considered washing hand-me-downs before wearing them. I also don't wash clothes from a second hand store before wearing them. I do wash underwear and diapers before use. I also wash anything with dye that would bleed if not washed first. Periodically something will be washed first for some random reason, but usually I wear first.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#63 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 09:23 PM

Yep! I always wash, regardless of where it came from.
#64 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 PM

Um i try to not wash as long as possible because clothes are so soft, and nice when they are new. Plus, all my jeans and pants seem to shrink, so i like to enjoy them for as long as possible. Germs and such don't really bother me. (i don't get sick really)

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#65 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Yup, always... always... always! Part of it is because I like my clothes to be clean but also, I like the smell of our laundry detergent/fabric softener so even when we visit my parents and I wash clothes there, I still bring them home and rewash them.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#66 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM

#67 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 PM

Nope. I don't really wash anything before I wear it--other than items I've purchased in the past from thrift stores. Brand new towels, yes. Sometimes they have that weird won't-absorb thing happening before you wash them.
#68 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:17 PM

I don't for myself and my older kids. For younger kids and babies, I do.

I know about all the chemicals and stuff, but unless it's underwear or hankies, I'm not washing it first. I just don't want to. *shrug*

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

#69 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:50 PM

new clothes yes always because of the reasons listed by that toxicologist above....

i know my thrift stores. the ones that wash everything in FF laundry soap i wear right away. the ones that i'm not so sure if they're washed, i'll wash. yard sales, yes. for my kids everything gets washed.

i'm way more scared of the chems than the germs.

how long could staph actually live on fibers?
#70 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 PM

I mostly wash. I've worn stuff I've just bought because I needed it right away, and I've bought a few things that are dry clean only and those I don't wash.

Aside from the afore mentioned dryclean items and like two things I'm willing to hand wash, anything that can't survive being tossed in with towels on a normal load cold wash/cold rinse--isn't clothing I want in my house. I've only had a couple of things from Goodwill not survive the qualification wash.
#71 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 PM
ett

Before kids, I would often not wash new clothes before wearing, especially if they were dry clean only.

But I always wash the kid's clothes before they wear them. Especially since both of them have eczema. So now I also wash my new clothes before wearing ... though I can't remember the last time I bought new clothes for myself ...
#72 of 76 Old 02-15-2008, 11:59 PM

Yes, always. Only because we always buy from the thrift.

If we bought new, probably not. Its been so long.
#73 of 76 Old 02-16-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkygranolamama View Post
how long could staph actually live on fibers?
I don't know. But if someone with an active staph infection tried on a garment before I wore it, I'd be at risk, since I apparently have (in the words of my Infectious Disease doctor) "especially sensitive skin." Lucky me, right? It's nasty and I'm down to a very small number of antibiotics that are effective against the infections, so y'know, if washing something affords me any protection at all - I'll do it.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#74 of 76 Old 02-16-2008, 12:16 AM

I ALWAYS wash the children's clothes before they wear them. I always wash my underwear before I wear it. Everything else depends on if I am doing laundry before I want to wear it.
#75 of 76 Old 02-16-2008, 12:44 AM

I usually buy and wear my clothes.

The baby's clothes I wash, though.
#76 of 76 Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM

I said sometimes, which really is MOST times because there have been instances (like 2 days ago) where someone (in this case, the baby) has no fresh clothes available and we're away from home. On 2 occasions the baby needed clean clothes and I somehow got away without a fresh outfit in his diaper bag. I bought a pre-packaged outfit one time and an outfit on a hanger the next. But most every other time I wash everything.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page