Why do cute girls clothes end at size/age 5? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am frustrated, my little 5 year old daughter still wears a size 5 but i am going into the size 6 so she has room to grow. The only store near us is Target and all the sweet and beautiful ( and age appropriate) clothes end in size 5. The next section is all of these midriff baring and short pants and skirts that my little kindergartner is not going to wear any time soon. Why? Is there anywhere online that i can get cute clothes in size 6 that are not expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM

it is really frustrating. I shop Ebay for the sales for Hanna or Gymbo. DD's shorts and skirts need to be below the knee for school and that is so hard to find without zippers ( she has clothes issues ).
#3 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 12:50 PM

The clearance racks at Gymboree are a good place. Online they even have sizes 10 & 12.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#4 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM

I buy dd1 a lot of clothes at Old Navy. She is in a size 6 and their bigger sizes are still age appropriate for little girls (dd is 5).
#5 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM

Because at age 5 they are ready to wear Bratz doll looking clothing...it's what's fashionable. You don't want your daughter just looking like a nice little kid do you?!

She is allowed to be a princess in bubblegum pink, sparkly clothing with words like "Diva in training" or "Princess" all over them, or she is allowed to be a highly sexualized little kid with low rise jeans and midriff showing shirts.

Anything else would be Unamerican--haven't you noticed? :

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...
#6 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 PM

We shop at Old Navy and Children's Place, but I am excited that my dd is getting into a size six for summer . . . we can't afford a lot of it, but I like the stuff at Limited Too and abercrombie.

I also like a lot of the stuff at Target, but some of it doesn't hold up well for us. We are not bothered by short stuff or low rise or bare bellies, though.

Proud Anti-Adoption, Atheist, Reproductive-Freedom Fighter Mama
Rylie is 7, Ronin is 3.5
#7 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:25 PM

I find lots of cute stuff at Target actually!

Some of it is a little innapropriate, but I find loads of really cute dresses, and sale rack items there for dd. None of which have been midriff baring. I think they have some cute button up shirts there right now.

But I still shop at places like Hannna Anderson, gymboree, Gap, Old Navy, etc when I want to know for sure I will find something appropriate. The only problem I know of with Gap clothes is that the tops on the dresses run big for dd, and she usually has to wear something under them, like a tank top, because they show too much skin.

What I also like to do is size way up, so dd has dresses that are a 3T that were cute and roomy that now fit as tops over pants. I love recycling dresses!

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#8 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Target is challenging. It's really hit and miss, and the stuff falls apart. Go Hanna Andersson for modest, adorable girls clothes that hold up well, have great resale value and are soft.
#9 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM

I'm lucky my dd prefers to wear sweatshirts, turtlenecks, sweatpants and simple t-shirts (for now). I search the thrift stores for Gymboree, Lands End, etc.

Land's End Overstocks have good stuff, too.
#10 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:35 PM

For Amethyst, who is a very tall, size 6 or 7, I buy mostly long t-shirts, skirts and jeans. I don't mind her legs showing during the summer, but I'm really not into her belly showing. I buy her shirts at.... dun, dun, dun.... Wal-mart. It's the only store anywhere near hear that has reasonably priced clothes for a 5 y/o who plays hard. I also usually buy them on sale!! I buy her good jeans though, and have the best luck finding skirts at Goodwill for some reason.

Amee + James (1998) =
Amethyst (May 2002)
Asheby "Bear" (November 2006)
Abbott (January 2011)
Atlas (March 2013)
#11 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 PM

Yes, lets sing praises of Goodwill!
I recently found a European brand dress there for $3.50, that is seriously the most gorgeous dress dd owns. It is a cotton print and very room, modest, and has knit detail on the arm straps, pockets, etc. And crocheted flowers. So cute. We also found Mini Boden pants there, which is another nice brand.

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#12 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 PM

I find lots of cute stuff at Target, as well as Old Navy and the occasional Gymboree trip. I think, at Target you have to be more thorough in your looking. there are midriff baring tops, but there are also lots of more appropriate items too. Plus, their stock changes pretty often, so i look at the clothes each time i'm in there.
#13 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 02:05 PM

Goodwill
Once Upon A Child, or other resell children's clothing stores
LL Bean
Lands End
Hanna Andersson
Mini Boden

(I look for things on sale - HA has some outlets that have great sales twice a year, and they will do orders over the phone. LL Bean also has multiple outlet stores.)

MB stuff is kind of spendy, but my DD spends all winter in 5 pair of MB pants. She won't wear any other ones. They go up to size 13-14.

Also - boys' clothes. If you can find them without sports themes or trucks on them (which my DD won't wear). Just plain t-shirts and shorts. If your DD is okay with stuff that isn't pink or purple.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#14 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Why do cute girls clothes end at size/age 5?
Because it's time for them to start being good little peer/advertising driven consumers by then (if they aren't already).

nothing more to say I guess :
#15 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 02:44 PM

Healthtex has really cute stuff through size 12. my parents live near the outlet, so most of dd's clothes are from there (size 7-8).
#16 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I second the PP's who have said Old Navy, Gymboree, and The Children's Place.
#17 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

we don't have those stores but i will check online. Target's dresses for this season are so adorable in the under 5 section and the 6 and up section is all little tank dresses that my 5 year old just isn't in too. thanks!
#18 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yup, it's annoying. I'm glad my girls can finally wear women's sizes so I can get them modest, "non trendy" clothes easily again. My older DD fits best in "junior" sizes but there's rarely anything appropriate in there, so I end up getting her stuff from the Misses' dept even though the fit isn't as good. I'm not even sure what younger DD fits best in, as I've only gotten her stuff from the thrift store. She's curvy but short. They're half a head different in height but have pretty much the same measurements.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#19 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 03:59 PM

I think you can still find some appropriate stuff at Target if you look.

CDW Kids has cute clothes. You might look at the sale section.

JCPenney

Do you sew? I saw some cute patterns.

You could look on Amazon.com too.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#20 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM

kohls is another not listed that has stuff over 5 thats still kiddish

also.. www.crazy8.com
#21 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 04:14 PM

I feel your pain. My DD just turned 5 and is in a size 6. It drives me BATTY that all the clothes after 5T seems to have sequins/glitter, have words and phrases like "princess", "cutie" and "born to shop" emblazoned on them and are cut short and/or slim. I don't want her to look like a little teenager, I want her to look like a 5 year old!! I once mentioned this to a sales associate at the Children's Place and asked if they ever considered extending the baby/toddler sizes through a size 6 (they currently stop at 4T). She looked at me like I was nuts and said that she thinks the clothes for the older girls are perfectly tasteful. I left empty handed that day.

I've been doing most of my shopping at LL Bean and Land's End. My DD LOVES dresses, and I just bought her a bunch for about $25 each from LL Bean - not cheap, but at least it's an entire outift and they wear well, so I know her little sister will get to use them, too. And at Sears stores, Land's End merchandise is currently an additional 50% off clearance prices, so I was able to get a bunch of stuff for next fall/winter for far less than the original price.

At Target, I buy her jeans in the boys section. She is none the wiser, and a 5T in boys is far larger than the girl's sizes, and much more genrously (and modestly) cut.

Hedgehog also has super cute stuff, and if you use code "bemine" by 2/26, you can get 60% off your purchase. I have never ordered from them before, but at 60% off, it might be worth a try!

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#22 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM

My 6 yr old has been out of the easy-to-find cute sizes for some time. She's firmly in a size 8 and heading towards a 10. I go to the more expensive stores like MiniBoden, HA, and Land's End and just shop the clearance sales. Gymboree also has some great sales, esp. online.
Target can be iffy since it tends to carry trendier clothes, but if you go in often enough, you can find some cute stuff.

Gazing furtively at you from under my siggie!
#23 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 04:33 PM

I just remembered that both dds have cute clothes from H&M if you have one near you. I like that I can still find matching outfits for my dds for special occassions, since what they sell in size 2 can also be found up to size 8.
#24 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 04:35 PM

Other than the places already mentioned, I would look at the Osh Kosh outlet. DD is in 10/12 pants and they have a lot of stuff I consider appropriate.

#25 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Kohls has cute mix and match t-shirts, tanks, skorts and shorts. Not hoochie mama at all. They DO have some hootchie stuff but the mix and match stuff is nice. And they are 2 for $10 or $12.
#26 of 43 Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnmama View Post
Healthtex has really cute stuff through size 12. my parents live near the outlet, so most of dd's clothes are from there (size 7-8).
omg, my mum and i thought that healthtex went out of bus! they used to have an outlet near where my parents lived when i was a kid and we used to do our school shopping there....i cant wait to tell my mom!

oh and i noticed the age apporpriatness (if thats a word) with a lot of the clothes too lately, especially when shopping with my sister for her partners daughter. we ended up getting her some cute, inexpensive, age appropriate clothes at the childs place.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#27 of 43 Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM

I love H&M!

Carter's outlets also sometimes carry sizes up to 8 in girls. Maybe even higher? I know the one near us goes up to 8.

I have also gotten my DD white clothing and tie-dyed it. Or you could solid-color dye it if you prefer. Dharma Trading has lots and lots of shirts, shorts, pants, dresses, you name it.

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
#28 of 43 Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 AM

We like H&M kids stuff. It's pretty affordable, especially with the sales that they run.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#29 of 43 Old 02-17-2008, 01:28 AM

I was at Target today and checked out the girls' clothing section because of this thread.

Things I saw in sizes bigger than age 5 that I can remember 12 hours later:
Plain t-shirts in multiple colors.
Khakis, no writing or pictures.
Cardigans in white, blue, purple, and pink.
Jeans, no writing or pictures.
Long dresses

Thing is, I remember our local Target having a lot of things like midriff tops and mini skirts before and *everything* being pink, purple, or teal (except the stuff that was black with pink rhinestones) so I think people must've complained and the store must've listened.
#30 of 43 Old 02-17-2008, 01:28 AM

I haven't really had a problem myself. But I guess I've seen the other places in the mall with things that I would not dress my girls or boys in.

We have The Children's Place and Please Mum. The Bay and Zellers are a mix. I would guess that easily most of my children's clothing comes from those stores. Other than my daughter's uniforms.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page